Jazzmaster Tremolo Question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mingo, May 17, 2005.

1. mingo

mingo Member

Does everyone's Jazzmaster tremolo system rattle when the shake the whammy bar hard, instead of gently pressing it down???

Also what postition do you recommend the bridge locking thing to be set at, for someone that uses the whammy bar some??

Also, any favourite pickup/electronic settings tones described would be appreciated also.

Thanks

2. mr tom

mr tom Supporting Member

I usually keep the trem in the "locked" position.

I do not hear any bridge rattles - I use .011s to keep it nailed down. Disregard all the "replace the bridge with Mustang saddles" replies you will no doubt receive.

tom

neck date 7-60

3. mr tom

mr tom Supporting Member

Tone rarely above 7 (JMs can be very bright), volume as required, usually 6.5 or slightly higher. Set vintage Fender tube amp AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE and control volume from the guitar (crank towards 10 as necessary). Hope this helps!

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

The rattle is most likely the arm in the tube - try wrapping it with some white plumber's tape. You'll need to leave the arm in, unless you want to redo the tape every time. Or, it could be the trem plate hitting the lock button.

The correct position for the lock is so that it will just slide back when the guitar is tuned to pitch - you need to adjust the spring (with the screw in front of the spring anchor) to get it like that. The easiest way is to tighten the spring up too much with the lock on (button back, you may need to press the arm down to get it like that), tune the guitar to pitch, then loosen the spring until the button will just slide forward without the tuning going sharp - you'll be able to feel that the trem comes just up against the stop. Now, you can leave the trem fully floating, but if you break a string, you just push the arm down a bit, slide the button back, and you should be in tune on the other five strings. I had to use this a couple of times with my Jaguar at gigs, it worked perfectly. I couldn't go back to using a non-lockable trem now! I have Trem-Setters on my PRSs for exactly that reason...

Favorite control settings? All of them. There isn't a single unusable tone on a Jazzmaster. It's a very well-thought-out, versatile and logical system IMO. On my Jag, I liked to use the 'rhythm' circuit occasionally for a more muted tone too.

5. mingo

mingo Member

so which is the locked postition, away from the neck?? right?

and you have to press down the whammy then put in the lock postition???

if it is the trem plate hitting the lock button what do i do?? should i be worried about this at all??

i hear ya about the tone around the 7 mark.

thanks for all the help.

6. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Locked is away from the neck, yes. It's only locked in the upward (sharp) direction, too - you can still push down.

The correct set-up is such that with all six strings on, the button should just be able to slide forward and back without affecting the tuning, but with it back, you can't pull up.

If you break a string, the tuning will go sharp on the other five. To engage the lock, you have to push down the arm so they're back in tune before you can engage it - takes a second or so and both hands, but it's still a life-saver in the middle of a song.

But if you shake the arm when the button is in the lock position, the trem plate will rattle on the button. If you want to do that, you definitely need to leave the bridge unlocked.

7. mingo

mingo Member

not sure if i understand, upward (sharp) direction???

i keep it up towards the neck, and it rattles, it rattles in both position. it slides pretty easy back and forth. do i need to push the slider down on it or anything??

8. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

If it rattles when the button is toward the neck, that's not the cause of the rattle - it's most likely the arm.

Can you pull up on the arm when the button is fully back though? If so, the trem isn't set right...

I can't think of any way of explaining this any simpler! The lock button does not fully lock the trem, it just stops it moving upward (sharp) if you've broken a string. It works by the lower bit of the button (under the fixed plate, the one which is screwed to the body) sliding back and stopping the front edge of the moving plate (the one the arm is attached to, and the strings at the back) coming up closer to the fixed plate.

I'll see if I can draw a picture...

9. mingo

mingo Member

ok, i'll check if i can pull it up when its set back, and let you know later.

so if it is the arm, then i'd have to wrap it everytime or just live with it???

thanks,
    jason