Jazzmaster with 60's pickups ?

jnewmark

There seems to be different models of the Jazzmaster available, some of which feature the 60's style " vintage " pickups. What models are there that currently offer the original style pickups, and how to tell the difference ? For example, the Made In Japan models seem to have this style, but I can't find much info. Looking for that Ventures style of tone on the Jazzmaster. Thanks.

Timtam

The vintage-style jazzmaster reissues have several variants of 60s style pickups. The American Original 60s jazzmaster has '65' style pickups. Same as the AV65 had. Anything else that says 'vintage' pickups usually means the 65 style too, assumed to be the same as the Pure Vintage 65 aftermarket pickups.
https://darrenriley.com/product-category/fender-parts/pickups-fender-parts/jazzmaster-pickups/
The earlier AVRI62 had the '62' style pickups. I believe people who have tried both often suggest that the 62s are perhaps a little darker.

An exception, the new-ish Vintera 60s has 'revoiced the pickups to be more 60s-accurate'; they are different again. Too early for verdicts.
PU ASSY 65 JAZZMASTER NK MEX AGD WHT 7716107000
PU ASSY 65 JAZZMASTER BRG MEX AGD WHT 7716108000

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member
Japanese Jazzmaster pickups are often very different from regular Jazzmaster pickups.

jnewmark

The vintage-style jazzmaster reissues have several variants of 60s style pickups. The American Original 60s jazzmaster has '65' style pickups. Same as the AV65 had. Anything else that says 'vintage' pickups usually means the 65 style too, assumed to be the same as the Pure Vintage 65 aftermarket pickups.
https://darrenriley.com/product-category/fender-parts/pickups-fender-parts/jazzmaster-pickups/
The earlier AVRI62 had the '62' style pickups. I believe people who have tried both often suggest that the 62s are perhaps a little darker.

An exception, the new-ish Vintera 60s has 'revoiced the pickups to be more 60s-accurate'; they are different again. Too early for verdicts.
Thanks. What about the MIM models, like the Roadworn, and the '60's Lacquer model ?

deeohgee

There seems to be different models of the Jazzmaster available, some of which feature the 60's style " vintage " pickups. What models are there that currently offer the original style pickups, and how to tell the difference ? For example, the Made In Japan models seem to have this style, but I can't find much info. Looking for that Ventures style of tone on the Jazzmaster. Thanks.
I have a 1996 Ventures Ltd Ed Jazzmaster made by Fender Japan. It has Seymour Duncan Antiquity I's and it has"that" tone!

deeohgee

I have a 1996 Ventures Ltd Ed Jazzmaster made by Fender Japan. It has Seymour Duncan Antiquity I's and it has"that" tone!
Did some further research on this...

The Ventures Bob Bogle recalled discussions with Fender about his Jazzmaster model:

"When asked for our input on the Jazzmaster, we presented Fender with some changes that we had always wished for. There had always been a pickup switch mounted up high on the body for which we never had any use, so we had that removed. They also obliged when we asked for the volume and tone controls to be mounted further away from the strings. the pickups were Seymour Duncans special JM units designed to produce the tones of the original Jazzmaster"

TheWayfarer84

Gold Supporting Member
Lots of guys rip the MIJ pickups out because they are fairly harsh sounding.

AV65’s are fantastic production pickups.

adamrobertt

Nah, the '62 pickups are way brighter and thinner, sound more like strat pickups. The '65 pups are way better.

Japanese Jazzmasters tend to have what are essentially strat pickups in big JM covers, don't sound too good at all and most people switch them out.

Trending Topics