jazzmasters rule ok?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by changeling, Jan 14, 2006.

1. changeling

changeling Member

hey....:rolleyes: just for me maybe.
    but i can't remember the last time a specific guitar had such a steep learning curve or more sonic reward.
    i played the Bitter End last nite(what an honor) with a philly artist i back
    frequently;lelia broussard...the jazzmaster w/2 v-stax into a blues junior cut the gig admirably,and with much character..i had the pleasure of listening to and meeting the lead guitarist for one of the other bands(can't remember his name:jo ,but he was good!) and he was using an sg thru a marshall 1/2 stack...
    he said he was getting a jazzmaster.soon.
    any other happy jazzmaster users?
    would love to hear your comments;great and not so great.
    peace,
    r

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I feel the same about my early '65 Jaguar that I sold last year.

:(

However the truth is that it just didn't work well for my new band/music direction, no matter that it had been perfect for what I was doing before.

3. Quinny

Quinny Member

The Jazzmaster is a guitar I'm seriously interested in right now, so I'd like to see some comments about this guitar too. I played one a few years ago but the band I was in at the time meant humbuckers were in order. I'm getting more into single coils and P90s these days though, and always thought the Jazzmaster had a great sonic vibe all it's own. Would love to check some out soon.

Q.

4. fatback

fatback Member

I've got an interesting Jazzmaster project in the works:

I scorred a poorly reffinned '64 Jazzmaster for just over a grand off Gbase last year. Right now Scott Lentz is restoring the body with one of his luscious 3-tone bursts. I've garnered a lot of advice on setting up vintage Jazzmasters and plan to try a few things. I picked up a buzz-stop and will definately give it a test. I also am replacing the foam under the pickups and will have only the volume, tone, and the three way switch hooked up. Now if it will stop raining long enough, Scott can get back to work...

5. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Teles got the rep of being the hardest guitar to play - for me it's the Jazzmaster, hands down. And well worth the effort - nothing else sounds like that or responds like that. Get the Buzz-Stop (or buzz-kill, I thought it was called :rolleyes: ), without fail.

6. changeling

changeling Member

decay-o-caster...
    i agree with your findings about the jazzmaster being hard to learn.
    there are so many variables;the bridge being the main one...yet that is
    exactly where most of the vibe resides.
    i tried the buzz stop on a jazzmaster before,and it killed the resonance behind the tailpiece enough to render it into another faceless guitar..
    these are my opinions only. i have yet to try the mustang bridge that is a
    reasonable solution to the strings jumping out of the saddles,i'm just toughing it out for now.
    basically,
    shimming the neck
    raising the bridge
    lowering the saddles
    using tri-flow on the nut
    and keeping an allen wrench for bridge adjustments duct-taped to the guitar are my only mechanical mods,although i wish someone would make a humcancelling pickup for 'em...curtis novak has some interesting ideas
    that i may look into when times are not quite so lean.
    the one i currently own was previously owned by jim peterik(ides of march,survivor),and is much easier to play leads on than the sherwood green i had a few years back.
    i didn't bond with that guitar.
    but i can play blues,jazz and rocknroll on this one.
    my rhythm playing has a totally new focus due to the innate character of the clean sounds,mainly both pickups on.
    peace,
    r:angel

7. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I found that the exact opposite worked best on the Jaguar. I lowered the bridge as far as it would go without binding on the pickguard (with the mute removed) and raised the saddles right up - so much so that I had to trim the end of the low E intonation screw to stop it hitting the string. This really increases the downward force on the saddles and stops them buzzing. I then threadlocked all the bridge screws, including the height screws at the bottom of the posts, and lubed the nut and saddle tops. It sounded great and stayed in tune perfectly, even with trem abuse that it was never intended for :). I used 11-49 strings with a plain 3rd BTW.

After I retired it from gigging I re-did it as original with the mute refitted and raised bridge, but it never sounded as good like that.

I would say that the Jaguar is even harder to get used to than the Jazzmaster - many players just don't 'get' them at all - and it's harder to find a really great example, I was lucky to find mine... but it has a unique vibe and works extremely well with effects.

8. dumb donnie

dumb donnie Member

9. ricoh

ricoh Member

Great guitars with a quality all there own. Dialing them in takes a little doing but I never found them hard to play. I have a CIJ that has a matched body -w- 2 pieces and mild flame on the neck. I used one on a Latin surf CD I made a number of years ago. The CIJ's and MIJ's are made very well. I have a MIJ Jag as well. I just let go a vintage 62 Jag. That guitar sounded awesome. Really strong PU's.............
    It is amazing what the vintage JM's are bringing these days considering you couldn't give one away not that long ago!!!!!!

Rico

10. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Great guitars....Here's mine, buzzstop installed. Works real well to maintain string pressure. Using 10's are no problem at all.

[​IMG]

11. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

Nice looking '59, Doug!

Here's my '62. Love the sound with both pickups on ..

[​IMG]

12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I also share your zeal for the JM. The purchase of mine was an equally eye opening experience. What really floored me was its amazing versatility, followed by its surprisingly stout output (for a s. c.). It's hard to get an unpleasent tone out of it, and there's almost no genre where I can't get it to stand out tonally. Sounds great with most pedals I've tried as well. I'm glad it's a bit quirky and finnicky...keeps its usage relatively sparse, and gives us believers a somewhat unique tool to show up with. AC

13. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

Jazzmaster likes to be handled differently than other guitars... NO sustain... weird bridge... we gotta deal with it... but it rewards the right players

[​IMG]

14. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I have a CS relic JM, and it has unreal sustain! And I've compared to my fairly large stable which includes Historic LPs, CS Fenders, McNaught, PRS, etc. Maybe it's your strings or set-up. Mine (to borrow the JM reference of another GPer) 'rings like a piano'.

15. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

sweet - I've got a cs relic too.. the fiesta red one on the previous page

Yeah you're right... it does sustain pretty well for a jazzmaster.. I'm just comparing it to my neck thru bc richs which are a different category. But it does actually sustain better than my cs strats too (come to think of it)

The bridge on the cs relics is really good too... I had an old japanese ventures JM and the bridge was a nightmare... but the cs bridge stays in perfect tune and the strings never jump

Rare guitar though... I don't think Fender has made too many cs relics???

16. bigroy

bigroy Member

In 1967 I saw a cat named Jules Blatner from St. Louis playing a JM thru a tweed bassman, if memory serves me correctly. I hate to use an overworked expression, but it was SRV tones years before SRV "nailed his tone". I've owned two, and regret selling both. A bit hard to wrangle, but very rewarding.

17. postalblowfish

postalblowfish Member

If they'd stuck with Jazzmasters these guys coulda made something of themselves....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. changeling

changeling Member

dumb donnie;
    everytime i see that black jm with the anodized guard,i want one just like it. is it cs or an old one?
    dinrodef, that cs relic is very cool. i can almost hear it from looking at it.
    regarding sustain,i think they resonate in such a unique way that maybe resonance is a more accurate term for what jazzmasters do. that "plink"
    they make when you strum a chord is the antithesis of sustain;yet i held a
    feedback note and was able to bend the pitch thru 2 bars of music the other nite.
    kinda trippy.
    i'ts the most "psychedelic" guitar i own..any more cs relics out there?
    photos?
    peace,
    r

19. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Yeah, I've seen precious few CS JMs out there as well. I have a John English Masterbuilt SC relic, no less (built for 2004 NAMM)! It's Seminole Red w/a white guard, and is easily my 'coolest' guitar. I'll email pics to post if someone can sponsor me...I'm a technology dinosaur. AC

20. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I love JMs.

I just saw a '59 with anodized guard at the Columbus Guitar Show yesterday. Lovely -- but not $8000 lovely!

I'm content with my upgraded CIJ, but I would like an AV62 someday...