JB users, what value pot would you use in a strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by buddastrat, Jun 22, 2008.

1. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I got a Fender CS strat with ash/maple and it has a JB and two 69 CS pickups. I haven't looked, but I assume it's a 250K pot for volume. It also has the S1 switch which complicates things a bit (for me!) The JB is very thick and singy. Has that real cool "wah" tone to bent notes. I love that. Even as thick as it is, this guitar produces harmonics galore, and they're clear and clean. Everywhere and anywhere, they jump out of this thing so fast. It's pretty cool.

So what's the problem?.. It's just that for crunch type stuff, or any percussive type of riffing, it seems to flub or seems muted or something. I'm wondering if I go to a 500K for the volume, that might open up the bucker, but then again it'd make the singles real bright.

I usually prefer 250k audio volume pots over 500K A, because they have a nicer taper to my ears, and they don't get as dark when lowering the volume. Would a 300K A be a good choice?

Also there's a tone control wired to the JB. I'm going to get rid of that! I'm hoping that'd give me just a little bit more of the prescence or bite that I want, then all'd be well.

finally maybe I need a different bucker. I really don't want to lose the cool sing that this pickup does so well, but I need a little more percussiveness to it. The harmonics will most likely come with any pickup, as they seem to jump out even acoustically on this strat.

I'm not sure how to keep the S1 thing, if I switch pots. I haven't taken it apart yet to see if it's a dual pot, or just some funky type of pot.
    Looking forward to some suggestions.

2. shoe

shoe Member

To my ears, the 250k, or even a 300k pot isn't a good match for a JB. In order to sound "open" enough that pickup really wants a 500k pot. A good work around is to use resistors to change how the single coils see the pot (so that they're seeing 250k instead of 500k).

I would also suggest using a treble bleed circuit on the 500k pot so that when you roll down the volume, things don't get muddy.

3. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I tried a JB a long time ago (with a 500k pot) and it didn't work for me. Then I tried a friend's guitar and it was awesome.

He used a 250k pot and I felt that made all the difference.

Just my experience..

4. still.ill

still.ill Member

wait so JB is good with 250k or 500k? or is it just preference

5. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Nothing wrong with 250K, 500K or even 1 meg.

Depends on the particular guitar also.

The Tyler I had, James put 250K in it and it sounded great!!

6. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Preference.

7. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I'd go with a 500K volume pot for the JB. That will let it crunch better.

8. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Thanks. You many be right. Only thing about a 500KA is I'll lose the sweet taper of a 250K. I really like to do those pinky swells and they never work well on any 500K I've tried.

Every guitar I've owned with a treble bleed circuit, I've hated. It always seems to thin the tone as the pot is lowered.

9. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

10. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I've used a Duncan custom before in a Floyded strat and you're right man, it was cool with a 250K pot. It had a lot of crunch and prescence. I remember it being pretty much the opposite of this JB. But I really like the way this JB sings on leads and that cool "wah" to the bends. Reminds me of Michael Shenker's tone. Lead work is so awesome with the JB. I just need to find a way to tweak this a bit to get a clearer chord tone.

I'm hoping simply disconnecting the tone will give me a little more open tone. I even hate when a bridge single coil has a tone control connected to it. It loses just a little of that crispness.

Maybe that and a 300K volume pot will be a good compromise for me.

11. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

Look into a no-load tone pot. That wasy you can still have a tone control if you want it, but it isn't there when all the way up.