JB wiring problem

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by rekoj, Mar 18, 2008.

1. rekoj

rekoj Member

Hi guys!

I just put a seymour duncan JB pickup in my guitar..I used the diagram on the SD website and did the wiring like they said, but the pickup sounds waaaaay to thin and quiet, almost like it is in split-mode..

maybe I should switch the green and red wire? could you guys tell me what might be wrong?

thank you,

Ben

2. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

Your green goes to ground. The bare wire also goes to ground. The black goes to hot. The red and white wires are soldered together, and that join is taped off. If that join is contacting anything that is grounded, you have shorted one coil.

Is this how it is connected?

3. in a little row

in a little row Member

swapping those wire is common...of course check pickup height...

4. rekoj

rekoj Member

pickup height is ok...Green and bare go to ground and black to hot, white and red are not connected to anything, but I haven't soldered them together. I did this first, but this made the guitar hum really loud (I did test this by simply plugging the guitar in, without strings on...maybe I should try it again with the strings on the guitar?), at the bridge and neck pickup...I then disconnected the red and white wire and the hum was gone, but then the output dropped and gave me the problem I have now

any suggestions?

thanks guys!

5. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

With red and white not soldered you are only running one coil. Solder them and tape, or shrink tube them off. If the pickup isn't damaged and you have a loud hum then it sounds like you have a ground on the circuit, or a maybe cold solder joint. What's the other pickup if there is one?

6. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

You must solder the red and white together, and tape the join off. That is how you get both coils in the circuit.

7. rekoj

rekoj Member

a gibson 490R is in the neck position...i'm going to rewire the humbucker tonight...another question; should i solder the bare and green wire together and then solder them to ground, or should i solder each wire seperatly to the ground?

thanks guys, you've really helped me out a lot!!

8. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

You can solder green and bare together - I do.

9. rekoj

rekoj Member

ok, so I soldered the white and red together, and the output increased..BUT the pickup sounded waaaaay to thin

-> I switched the green and red wire, and voila, problem solved!

looks like seymour duncan decided to change the color code at some point in production..

thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it!