• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

JBD-V1 flying 'V' concept illustration

John Backlund

I finally decided to do up a few flying 'V' guitars based on the classic profile. I've never even held a flying V guitar, but they've been growing on me for a year or two, especially the classic Gibson, and I always thought that one would be a natural for some artistic 'tweaking'.

I'm working on a couple of other cosmetic variants and will post them when I'm done with them.

These designs don't attempt to re-invent the classic Gibson flying 'V' wheel, just put a nice 'hubcap' on it.

Last edited:

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
If you render that in S-S-S pickup arrangement you should do a zig-zag angle on the three pickups like
\/\ or else /\/

Has anybody ever made a guitar that combined the swallowtail lower 'bout' of a flying V with the upper bout horns of an SG?

Last edited:

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
Like this?

Eewww.
Yeah, that is what I was wondering about, and it looks more imbalanced than I expected. The bullseye stripes are not helping, but I think the asymmetry of the horns and their small size compared to the tail is what really wrecks the effect I was expecting. Maybe if the lower horn were larger like on an Explorer. That would of an SG / ML hybrid than an SG/V hybrid.

trisonic

I finally decided to do up a few flying 'V' guitars based on the classic profile. I've never even held a flying V guitar, but they've been growing on me for a year or two, especially the classic Gibson, and I always thought that one would be a natural for some artistic 'tweaking'.

I'm working on a couple of other cosmetic variants and will post them when I'm done with them.

These designs don't attempt to re-invent the classic Gibson flying 'V' wheel, just put a nice 'hubcap' on it.
John, the original '58 Flying V shape is actually very comfortable to play standing up as is the '58 Explorer. They have a natural forearm rest for the way I play.
I really like the Daphne Blue one - I've always hankered for a V with 3x P90's, dunno why (if you're thinking of actually making one).
I don't like any of the reshaped ones that Gibson have done over the years because they detract from the purity of the original design. Does the Red One have asymetrical "arms" or is it an optical illusion?
I'd like to see the socket "inside" close to the crotch of the V.
Just some thoughts, Pete.

John Backlund

John, the original '58 Flying V shape is actually very comfortable to play standing up as is the '58 Explorer. They have a natural forearm rest for the way I play.
I really like the Daphne Blue one - I've always hankered for a V with 3x P90's, dunno why (if you're thinking of actually making one).
I don't like any of the reshaped ones that Gibson have done over the years because they detract from the purity of the original design. Does the Red One have asymetrical "arms" or is it an optical illusion?
I'd like to see the socket "inside" close to the crotch of the V.
Just some thoughts, Pete.
Someone else told me that the Gibson flying V is also reasonably comfortable when played in the 'classical' position resting on the left leg with the lower wing between the legs.

The arms are equal on both illustrations, which are actually the same illustration with the colors 'worked over' a bit on the computer.

Trending Topics