jbl d120 clones

strumminsix

A friend who owns a music store and I did side by side comparisons, The JBL D131F was the best sounding speaker in our test. Next was the D120F and the tonetubby was close but it sounded like it had a stack of blankets on it in comparison. In all fairness the JBL's were well broken in and the Tonetubby was still fairly new.

I haven't tried the commonwealth but I will be interested. I have a Musicman HD130 I'm looking for speakers for. The Weber michigans were what was recommended but I sent Weber a couple e-mails asking if that is the speaker he would recommend and I never heard anything back from him.
Which ToneTubby speaker the ceramic or alnico?

strumminsix

I have had both styles of tubby. They are nothing like a JBL. Maybe the poster is referring to a JBL 'E" series as reconed by Broun sound with hemp?
I am shocked! Despite not JBLish, are you happy with TTs? I've read great reviews on their 2x12 cabs that are loaded with 1 ceramic and 1 alnico speaker.

Ya know, I always wonder which do you mic?

strumminsix

Finally found one!!!! Ted Weber's NeoMag series! They are wonderful.
It's been a month and happier with them each day!

cerebralpaul

I have Weber Cali's(paper dome), I'd like a little more highs but I'm reasonably sure I don't want alum domes though. I got mine back when h-domes were standard, now they are optional and the standard paper dome is smaller than the ones on mine- would it be worth switching to the smaller paper domes? Will I notice much of a difference?