JBL d120f in Deluxe reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dynosoar1, Apr 8, 2008.

1. dynosoar1

dynosoar1 Member

Anyone used or currently using the jbl d120f in their deluxe reverb or other 12" deluxe style amp??? Currently using a weber 12f150...but have the opportunity to grab this jbl and was looking for some quick advice or helpful tone recs on this speaker.

Thanks

2. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Very bright, cutting. You might want to clip the bright cap in the DR to avoid breaking glass.

Elantric and smolder like this.
  3. dynosoar1

dynosoar1 Member

Good info to know....that's the last type of sound I need out of it!!

4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

great tone to be had with that combination-don't forget to turn the treble way down.

5. doublee

doublee Member

I will hazard a reply because I've asked this question a bunch of times on various forums and get scant replies, so I went out and got (i believe) a properly reconed JBL for a BF'd DRRI. Had the Weber you mention in there before that. The Weber is jensen -ish voiced. The JBL is not. Its alnico I believe. The JBL does NOT have that warm Jensen/Fendery sag. Its a loud high efficiency clean sound and I like it, but I also like the Jensen-y sound. So I like it but I def want the jensen/Weber sound as well so I have both. If you like a loud clean and relatively uncolored speaker you will like JBL.

I am also trying a Naylor soon but no one seems to have tried it around here...Oh and got a Cele Gold on the way...

yakyak likes this.
  6. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I liked mine in my 65 deluxe but you sure have to EQ the tone to suit the treble response!
    Get one and try it,also when you mount it make sure you dont overtightened the mounting bolt,cause the baskets warp easy and it can give rubbing problems at louder volumes.

7. bosstone

bosstone Member

If you install a paper dust cap it will sound fantastic.

8. dynosoar1

dynosoar1 Member

My Fender DR is a 68 drip edge (BF circuit ofcourse) it sounds great with the weber...its just I'm trying to get that late 50's early 60's chess/fender blues tone thing ala Buddy Guy (no I'm not getting a bassman) and the like. Was thinking a JBL maybe would give me some of that voice with a strat????

9. doublee

doublee Member

Not a JBL, you want the jensen lineage.

Baxtercat likes this.
  10. doublee

doublee Member

Dont you find the mids in a JBL slightly dry? For me it takes some attack adjustment, it needs more aggressive playing...its not a creamy sound...to me at least.

11. doublee

doublee Member

Also PS theres a great site" Altec heritage" or something to that effect, all about things JBL/Altec related.

12. bosstone

bosstone Member

Going to a paper dust cap effects mostly the high end. I never felt there was any problem with the mids. The paper dust cap could only made the mids creamier if anything.

13. hogy

hogy Member

That's a very ugly sounding speaker. Everything about it is wrong. The midrange is nasal an honky, the treble is clangy and metallic.

One of life's eternal mysteries to me is what people like in JBL speakers.

They please my ear like a dentist's drill engraving a chalk board. The most un-natural sounding driver ever.

14. bosstone

bosstone Member

I couldn't agree with you less. It all depends on what amp and what style of music you play. It wouldn't be considered much of a rock speaker anymore but it sure used to be and for country playing, it has few equals. It is one of the most detailed and accurate speakers ever made. Unfortunately, it will show every mistake you make. The paper dust cap helps in that regard though.

yakyak likes this.
  15. hogy

hogy Member

Yes, like I said. Sounds God Awful.

InkStained and amphog like this.
  16. devbro

devbro Member

Just goes to show that tone is in the ears of the beholder. I've got a pair of vintage grayframe D120F's (not recones) in by blackface twin and they sound superb. I've tried many speakers and for me, the D120F shines for that Fender sound. I think it also depends if you like a speaker that colors your tone or will breakup. The D120F is a high efficiency speaker that takes allot to breakup and tends to be pretty neutral much like a EVM12L.

yakyak likes this.
  17. bosstone

bosstone Member

One question, do you like Dicky Betts tone?

yakyak likes this.
  18. hogy

hogy Member

That's a trick question, I'm not answering.

19. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

That reply brought a smile my way. :)

yakyak and GuitarsFromMars like this.
  20. bosstone

bosstone Member

I just couldn't help myself. :BEER

In all seriousness, I had a 65 Twin Reverb with D120s many, many years ago and that was one of the best sounding rigs of the day. I would really love to hear someone like Paisley play through one. I was also at a concert long ago where the guitar player had the same rig in a big auditorium (pre PA) and was getting great Led Zeppelin sounds with it, and Echoplex and some pedals.

yakyak likes this.