JBL D120F question..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kidchigger, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Kidchigger

Kidchigger Member

Hello..I inherited a 1970 (or so) Fender Scorpio that was equipted from the factory with two wonderful JBL D120F speakers. The amp's tone is definitely not my cup of tea. I removed the speakers and was surprised to see that they have copper colored dust caps. Kind of odd I think. They definitely have never been removed from the cabinet since day one. I'm curious what their value is ? Grey frames with yellow tab on the magnet cover. They're in excellent shape. Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. doublee

doublee Member

I'll take one of them, if youre selling

3. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I'll take the other one.

4. slipslick

slipslick Member

All of the JBL D120F(s), (the "F" designates made for Fender), that I've seen had an aluminum dust cover. Is it possible that you copper dust covers are aluminum with a nicotine stain from being in a smoking environment, ie: bar?

5. Kidchigger

Kidchigger Member

Thanks for the interest..but I still don't have an idea of their value. I've been told they worth some $'s but it's all been very vague and shrouded in vintage mystique.
    Again, any help is appreciated.

6. slider313

If they're working properly with no voice coil rub, the frames are clean, the magnet and label are clean, and they have not been reconed, then they could be worth anywhere from $200.-$300. each or sometimes a bit more. Pictures would help.

7. Kidchigger

Kidchigger Member

The dust covers are definitely not stained. They appear to be uniform in their
    "copper" coloring. I'll get a couple photos up asap.
    Thanks for your help.

8. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

That's about right on price. The problem with them though is if they've been sitting that long in one spot unused they can develop a sag in the cone and have a nasty rub if you hit 'em with much juice. You can turn them in the mount 180 degrees and sometimes get a little relief. It'd be great if they were OK as is. I've got a half dozen of them and I've had to recone all of them as they work and sound great at low volumes through something like a deluxe but spank 'em with a Komet or 50 watt marshall and they make some nasty ass noises.

9. Kidchigger

Kidchigger Member

Here are the photos..with a little dust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks.

10. slider313

I've never seen a JBL with that color dust cap. Could be a recone or someone stained the dust cap.

11. rcgpny1

rcgpny1 Member

They are definately recones. The surrounds are all wrong for stock JBL D120F's

12. Kidchigger

Kidchigger Member

I've never seen a color dust cap as well. Both speakers that I removed from the cabinet have the identical colored dust cap. I can't believe that speakers were re-coned..everything appeared very much original. The individual who had the amp before me never played in a band and had owned it since the mid-seventies. How can I tell if the speaker has been re-coned ?

13. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

I've seen these domes on JBL's before. What's serial number on the back of the cone? The cone look correct, duct cap..??? Most originals I’ve seen had cork not cardboard paper surrounds. Still could be an original cone though.

14. jtm622

jtm622 Member

I've never seen JBL's with a copper dust cap before; but if they have been reconed with OEM JBL aluminum voice coils by sombody who knew what they were doing - I don't think that their having been reconed is a problem. Those surrounds all seem to eventually degenerate over time, as the paper just gets brittle and "gives way". I think that it's likely that most of them surviving today have been reconed. JBL was the best sounding, most efficient speak ever made, IMO. Thse things were selling for close to $125 "new" in 1960's dollars...

15. TYY

TYY Member

Funny, I have 9 original grey frame D-series JBLs and all the cones/surrounds look just like that.

16. slider313

He may have owned these from the mid 70's, but I believe these are 60's JBL's. They could have been reconed in the early 70's.

17. jimpridx

jimpridx Supporting Member

I'm still amazed at the look of those dust covers. Pretty wild!

18. Kidchigger

Kidchigger Member

I guess it's possible they could have been reconed in the early seventies.
    Could another scenario be that JBL provided Fender with reconed speakers ?
    I looked both speakers over closely and could not find a serial number on the paper cones..only a "F" written in white pencil.

BTW Does anybody know the wattage rating of these speakers ?

Thanks again.

19. jimpridx

They should have a serial number on the cones if they're original. I believe it should read 21032. My guess is that they've been reconed in the early 70's.

20. jimpridx

About 75 watts with the original cones.