jbl D130 jensen P15n paper voice coils and others?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by alexnic, Feb 12, 2008.

1. alexnic

alexnic Member

running a 50 watt 6L6 head and planning to build cab(s), raw wood, for 15inch
    speakers. would love to get input or reference recordings to the clean musical
    quality, do not want speaker breakup. I've talked to a few people locally but other than the net, not much clear info except for newer 15's which don't sound quite right. Thanks for the input.
    in the Nick O Time

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I don't think a vintage P15N would last 10 minutes with a 50w amp, neither would a C15N. The D130F is rated for 100w, so it should be OK (be aware if you blow it up it can't be reconed accurately). Some other vintage speakers would work: the ceramic EVs for sure, less sure about the SROs. The Altec Lansing speakers would work. A lot of older bass amps had speakers by Utah, Emminence, Oxford etc-they might work but they're REALLY hard to get information about-especially power ratings. Less of a loss though if you blow up an old Emminence than an old Jensen!

3. alexnic

alexnic Member

okay now running 4 jensen P15N would meet the wattage requirements, would it? the other part of this is I would love a very full articulate sound not overwhelming decibel levels, acoustic jazz trio live level. the problem I feel with high wattage speakers is loss of detail. I've played D130F in various fenders and cabs, it's not me.
    thanks Nick

4. bosstone

bosstone Member

You are going to be very hard to please if you don't like JBL D130F's. They just might be the standard by which other 15" clean speakers are judged. BTW they are rated for more like 50-60 watts. 100 watts will definitely blow one up. One with a 50 watt amp will be plenty loud, given that it is one of the most efficient speakers ever made.

5. doublee

doublee Member

DrBob: why cant a JBL be reconed 'accurately"?
    thanks,

e

6. bosstone

bosstone Member

JBL stopped making that cone kit years ago.

7. alexnic

alexnic Member

the old D130 are different sounding than the 130F which were designed
    for fender for higher powered amps. The 130F have always sounded
    metallic for me. the jensens I've played, the older ones 50's 60's had paper
    voice coils, but I never payed attention to the 15's. those old 15's are supposed
    to be the most accurate and musical for low power apps. Standel uses 15's
    for the 25L15 it's not a loud amp and it's a beautiful clean sound. that's the
    sound I'm listening for fuller and louder out of my 50 watt. recones aren't
    much of an option since no one is recreating the same materials..
    thanks for the feedback
    Nick

8. drbob1

Well, there is a solution if volume isn't one of the main goals. First off, are we talking about the vintage P15N? If not, the reissue is rated for 50w, and if you're playing clean it should handle it. The vintage one sounds much better IMHO and only takes about 22w IIRC. However, if you're staying clean (so that the amp is only putting out its rated 50w not the 70-80 it might put out distorted) then you could use a vintage P15N by paralleling it with an 8 ohm resistor (or using an attenuator turned down 3-6 dB). It won't be enough of a change to make the amp quieter but will protect the speaker.

9. alexnic

alexnic Member

low wattage jensen or jbl 15's hooked up in a quad 4x15 set up could efficiently handle a 50 watt head? what I'm seeking out here is an accurate
    musical tone, like for all purpose intended a 4x10 50's tweed at low volume
    that open resonance and clean articulation without any break up but much bigger. so what I would love to read about is anyone who knows and uses
    those old 50's 60's 15's and can elaborate on their set ups and applications.
    Thanks
    Nick

10. drbob1

You would get no distortion with the JBL, and probably none with the Jensens using them in a 415 configuration. In fact, since the Sunn 100w bass amps used a pair of JBL D130Fs, I suspect you'd have very clean sound with two of them and a 50w head. Whether you'd like it, I don't know. 2 15" Jensens would be right at their maximum rating, but they held up pretty well (the Hi Power Tweed Twin had P12Ns, putting 70w into speakers rated at 40w and they held up for a while, so 50w into 4 speakers rated at 80w should be golden). As for an alnico Jensen 15, it's going to sound warmer (less top end, less bass, more mids) and sweeter than a JBL. It's a sound I do enjoy (I've got an open back pine cab with a P15R for my Emery Superbaby that's a really nice sound clean or dirty). Does that help?

11. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I just had a JBL D130 reconed, here in Portland, at JAMAC sound, they used a buncha glue and as the guy was talking to me he marked on the back with a sharpie . . . it was a D140 but he reconed it as a 4-Ohm D130 . . . and guess what?
    It sounds absolutely frickin fabulous!!!, warm and rich, full spectrum clean when you want clean, plays the break-up of the amp and pre-amp with warm crystal clarity . . . Best speaker I ever had!

Warmer than my Standel 15" . . . works perfectly in my converted (detuned) cinema cabinet.

It may not be an official 'JBL' recone, but it sure sounds great.

12. alexnic

alexnic Member

what amp are you using with the D130-40? how loud does it get? also didn't
    know Standel made their own 15's what's the output on that speaker?

13. pfflam

I have used a Mesa SOB at a very-loud 60Watts (though I haven't really really cranked it) and I have used a Vibroverb. I plan on using my 65 Bassman but it needs some work by someone more competent than myself.

The Standel is a "System designed transducer S-115" whatever that means, appears to be ceramic . . . i plan on making a new baffle for my 63 RI Vibroverb and getting those junk Jensen C10Q RIs out of there.
    The Standel has a good crisp sound with that amp . . . there is a code of 220930 - which I think means that its a Jensen probably from 1973

14. pfflam

Just to add . . . the Standel is probably from 63 if it is a Jensen because they started to use two digit year dates in the 70s.

The other code should read C15somethingerother as that is how Jensen identifies its models but this other code is: 52-5, C8090 . . . the firrst 0 could be a 9 or something . . .its sorta scratched . . . anyway . . . I'm researching it

15. uberpict

uberpict Member

The vintage P15N is rated for 50w RMS so you're fine with a single one and a 50w amp. The N stands for 50w and the P is for alnico. A P12N is another 50 watt speaker but a C12R is only 25w with a ceramic magnet. But if you're using a vintage speaker, YMMV, since age can affect power handling of course. Weber can re-cone to vintage specs and has a speaker very similar to the P15N. Love my P15N, nice big sound even at low volumes and good break-up when running the amp unattenuated.

16. alexnic

alexnic Member

other than ebay does anyone have suggestion on who or where to source
    vintage 15's on the west coast? or again anyone who uses them exclusively
    with their set up? any Standel magnifiers out there, or old gretch atkin-ers?
    who uses a wall of 15's?

17. bosstone

bosstone Member