• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

JBL D130F and D140F: Good speakers?

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
Just opened up the dual 15" cab I got with my 64 Showman amp. Speakers in it are a single JBLD130F (8 ohm) and a JBL D140F (16ohm).
Surprised at the mixed resistance.

I havent even plugged the thing in yet to hear how it sounds... I'm sure it sounds good. Just wondering where these fall in the order of vintage tone?

I'll have some pics soon of the cabs guts. I want to know if this is the original cab or not. (Outside has some goofy covering on it..)

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know about the D140 but the D130 is an outstanding speaker. It's difficult to get an original that is still good and the quality of a lot of the reconed ones out there is crappy, but a good one can't be beat. A lot of jazz guys love the D130 because it has such a beautiful clean sound.

One of the creators of the D130 when he worked at JBL was Harvey Gerst who I've been researching because I bought a 4X10 cab made by a company he once owned. The guy is like Woody Allen's Zelig. He pops up everywhere in world of electronics and sound reproduction. He also created the famous JBL D120F for Fender. Quite a character who is now 72 years old, I believe, and is still active as a sound engineer somewhere in Texas.

dunara

They're both excellent, pro-quality speakers, but different to each other. The 130 is a full range speaker, much loved of jazzers and pedal steel guys. The 140 is a bass guitar speaker. As far as I know, they're both rated - conservatively - at 150 watts.

In Tune

I don't know about the D140 but the D130 is an outstanding speaker. It's difficult to get an original that is still good and the quality of a lot of the reconed ones out there is crappy, but a good one can't be beat. A lot of jazz guys love the D130 because it has such a beautiful clean sound.

One of the creators of the D130 when he worked at JBL was Harvey Gerst who I've been researching because I bought a 4X10 cab made by a company he once owned. The guy is like Woody Allen's Zelig. He pops up everywhere in world of electronics and sound reproduction. He also created the famous JBL D120F for Fender. Quite a character who is now 72 years old, I believe, and is still active as a sound engineer somewhere in Texas.
When and why were these stopped being produced???:dunno:dunno:dunno

jcs

you need a pair of 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel..

i would check the resistance of each speaker individually, an 8 ohm speaker will show around 6.5k resistance for example.

those speakers could easily be recones and may not match what is written for impedance.

definitely show pics of the speakers too.

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
When and why were these stopped being produced???:dunno:dunno:dunno
Not sure, although from reading about Gerst the corporate choices made at JBL ended a lot of high end production. The focus changed to home products, including PC speakers.

Jay Mitchell

i would check the resistance of each speaker individually, an 8 ohm speaker will show around 6.5k resistance for example.
Oops, that's off by a factor of 1000. The reading you want isn't 6.5k, it's 6.5 ohms. And the DC resistance of "eight ohm" speakers (which is what you'll be measuring with a meter) can lie anywhere from ~4 ohms to just over 8.

Jay Mitchell

Not sure, although from reading about Gerst the corporate choices made at JBL ended a lot of high end production. The focus changed to home products, including PC speakers.
No. As a competitor of JBL, I'm certainly no apologist for them, but JBL Professional - the division that was the original "JBL" before being acquired by Harman International many years ago - is still alive and well. They are here: http://jblpro.com/ .

In Tune

No. As a competitor of JBL, I'm certainly no apologist for them, but JBL Professional - the division that was the original "JBL" before being acquired by Harman International many years ago - is still alive and well. They are here: http://jblpro.com/ .
Ah Ha...thank you kind Sir for Dat info,,,Now its time for Da JBL Pro Company to reissue Deess Wans!!!! Bring em Back JBL! I buy. :drink:drink:drink

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
Using the cabinet for keyboards?
I dont think so. The guy I bought the head and cab from has had it since 71. I guess the main thing I'm wondering is if they came stock this way for a reason. Like I said...I havent even plugged it in yet. It may sound like heaven for all I know. (I'm replacing caps on the head).

TYY

Just opened up the dual 15" cab I got with my 64 Showman amp. Speakers in it are a single JBLD130F (8 ohm) and a JBL D140F (16ohm).
Chances are they are both 8ohm speakers. JBL labeled some speakers as 16 ohms and some as 8-16 ohms, but apparently they all measure at 8 ohms.

I havent even plugged the thing in yet to hear how it sounds... I'm sure it sounds good. Just wondering where these fall in the order of vintage tone?
Wow, so you decided to post on a message board before even trying the thing out? You and I are very different people

(just poking fun)

As far as I know, they're both rated - conservatively - at 150 watts.
Not even close. The 120F and 130F were originally rated at 25 or 30 watts, which slowly increased over the years to 60watts (even though no changes were made to the design). However, they are known to blow in twin reverbs rated @ 85 watts. In sealed cabs they can take significantly more power safely.

The D140 has a very heavy surround and can take much more wattage.

Here's a few pics of the speakers in the cab. If someone can also tell me if this is consistant with a 64 cab that'd be great.
http://members.goldengate.net/jgermann/Showman/2-15_cab1.JPG

http://members.goldengate.net/jgermann/Showman/2-15_cab2.JPG

http://members.goldengate.net/jgermann/Showman/2-15_cab3.JPG
From what little I can see, it looks like the cones are original.
Does anyone know why they would mix a D130F and a D140F?
Perhaps one of the 130s blew and it was replaced with a 140 with the idea of it being more robust.

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
Wow, so you decided to post on a message board before even trying the thing out? You and I are very different people

(just poking fun)

Thanks for the info!

Ha, I laugh but your right. Not the way I would usually do things either. This is an odd duck. This thing is covered in a material that is like the old Kustom cabs. No handles. Bitch to move. I got it a few days ago and wanted to see what was in it before firing it up. So I left it in the garage rather than bringing it in house and lugging it downstairs. Now I have the head that came with it pulled apart with caps on order...so I wont hear it until the head is ready. My plan is to retolex it with blonde like the head. Thats why I'm so curious if this is all original. If Fender would mix and match the speakers from the factory like that. I'll have to get the codes from these speakers and see if we can date them.

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
Bump: the speakers sound phenominal. The D130 is definitely brighter but is still very warm sounding. The D140F is really mellow sounding. Not a bit of harshness at all. Whats amazing with that speaker is when I add my Zendrive (through my showman) and that speaker it just has that Robben Ford quality to it (thickness) that I havent heard from another speaker. Amazing. I'm assuming that since the 140 is a bass speaker it really shoudlnt be brighter.

anyway, wanted to give an update. Very very cool sounding cab/speakers.

GrecoVee

I'll have some pics soon of the cabs guts. I want to know if this is the original cab or not. (Outside has some goofy covering on it..)
Are you sure the D140F is 16ohms and not 8ohms?
and the D130F is the 8ohm speaker?
Just wondering if you got them mixed up.
I've never seen a D140F in 16ohms(only 8) but I've seen plenty of D130F's in 16ohms and 8ohms.
Having said that,...If you're interested, I have a JBL D130F in 8ohm for sale! Just send me a p.m. if interested! Thanks!

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
Are you sure the D140F is 16ohms and not 8ohms?
and the D130F is the 8ohm speaker?
Just wondering if you got them mixed up.
I've never seen a D140F in 16ohms(only 8) but I've seen plenty of D130F's in 16ohms and 8ohms.
Having said that,...If you're interested, I have a JBL D130F in 8ohm for sale! Just send me a p.m. if interested! Thanks!
Your right, I had them backwards. The 130F is marked 16 ohms but its actually 8.

Wheeler004

D130F's are some of the most highly regarded 15" speakers out there. They are known to have a bit much high end "sparkle," but overall, a very good sounding speaker (IMO). I don't know much about the 140.