JBL D208 8" speaker -- good for a Champ?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Robal, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

I am looking for a speaker upgrade for my Fender Champ, and my options are limited since it uses only a 8" speaker. I have seen vintage JBL D208 speakers for sale on ebay and elsewhere. They look like a mini-version of a JBL D120, cast frame, large voice coil, silver dust cap, etc.

Anyone have any experience with these speakers for use in a guitar amp? I am not looking for a hi-fi speakers, but an efficient speaker that has good clean sound would be nice for my mid-1970s silver face Champ.

2. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

It is a hifi speaker. Careful with the power - probably ok with a champ

3. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Here,

Ted Weber makes and excellent 8 inch speaker for Champs.
    I've used one in mine for years and have installed them in
    lots of Champs.
    https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/

Go to the vintage series,
    8 inch Alnico 8A125T.
    and find what you are looking for,
    or Ceramics are fine too.

Good luck and enjoy.

The JBL might be fine too, if you
    got it cheap see if you like it.
    If not, you now know where to go.

Let us know what you choose
    and how you like it, etc.

4. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

Any idea how many RMS or peak watts that speaker can handle?

5. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I would guess it is in the sub 20 watt range. They are very effecient and come from the era of 20 watt stereo systems

6. XL120

XL120 Member

I actually have a cabinet with two JBL-208 8" speakers that I use with a THD Univalve class A tube amp. They sound awesome. They are reminiscent to the D120F and D130F classic speakers with the aluminum dome in the center. Of course these do not have near the power handling capacity of the larger JBL musical instrument speakers, but they sound awesome. They are ideal for getting really bright clean tone or great overdrive without blowing your brains out with high volume levels. . . If you can get one for a good price it will probably sound great in a Champ.

Jim D'Addario

7. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

Is that a closed back cab or can the 2x8 hang with a drummer (un-mic'ed)?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  8. Oatie

Oatie Member

I had a 208 in a Champ before, it was not the best for Guitar.

I would invest in a Weber 8A125 or 8F125.

If you ever want to install a large Weber 8A125 or 8A150 in a Tweed Champ and people tell you it will not fit, I discovered you can easily re-locate the OT in a Champ by simply moving the OT on an angle, the Champ has so many holes pre-drilled on the back you can move it straight back, or turn it on an angle, then the OT will clear the ALNiCO Magnet. There is enough wire length/play in the OT to move it over without dealing with the wires.

[​IMG]

9. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

Hey thanks -- great answers ...

I am looking for replacement 8" speakers for a vintage GK (higher powered) closed back guitar 2x8 cab -- so far, despite Fender's historical use of JBL alnico's in closed backs, the consensus teaches away from this these days (tho' there might be exceptions, haha).

I generally prefer EVM 12L/S and that's what started the inquiry -- it seems that the 8F125 can be ordered to a 50 watt spec, which I may prefer, so right now its down to the Weber's or 2) TT 8" ceramics.

If I could find some Celestion Vintage G8's (apparently like the V30) I would be considering them too -- they have a great reputation given its short manufacturing life.

10. stark

stark Supporting Member

I have a JBL in my champ, sounds killer. I also pull the vibrato tube and use a GZ34 with either a 6v6 or 6l6. 22k slope resistor on the tone circuit helps too.

11. Oatie

Oatie Member

_________

You use a GZ34 in an old Fernder Vibro Champ? With a 6L6GC?

12. Oatie

Oatie Member

_________

If your going into a cab with plenty of room, my money would go to the Weber 8F150 speakers. The Larger voice coil and magnet.
    \
    I would pass on the TT 8 speakers

The Weber speakers are really good once broken-in.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  13. SeanF

SeanF Member

Eminence 820H is my first choice for a Champ, they've got a really sweet clean sound; the WGS G8C is pretty good, too.

14. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I happen to prefer a small alnico magnet speaker in a Champ. It's part of the sound. The Weber alnico Signature 8 S sounds great to these old ears.

15. Oatie

Oatie Member

Slider,

I think he is looking for two speakers in a closed cab, then plug the Champ into it.

16. 71strat

71strat Member

Heres some Awseome Mid Range High Powered 8in Drivers. 99db Efficiency !!!!! They also make 1 that is 93.5db. and 50hz-4.5hz. Both are 250 Watts RMS !!!

Fane SOVEREIGN PRO 8MN

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

APPLICATION NOTES

• Suitable for line array and small sealed enclosures.
    • 2” Voice coil mid range unit driven by a lightweight Neodymium motor system.
    • Weighs only 1.95 Kg.
    • Exceptional efficiency, power handling and frequency coverage from compact design.
    • High output and low distortion from 90Hz to 5kHz.
    • Rugged die cast chassis.
    • Extended usable frequency.

• Please enquire about alternative impedances.
    • A.E.S. power handling test. Pink noise bandpass filtered at 12 dB per octave with cutoff frequencies of 100 Hz and 1000 Hz. Driver mounted in free air, test signal applied at rated power for two hours.
    • Please note that the frequency response measurements are supplied for comparison only and are not a measure of the low frequency performance which may be achieved in a fully optimised system.

PRODUCT SUMMARY
    MODEL NAME :
    SP8MN

SPEC SHEET :
    DOWNLOAD PDF

ELECTRO ACOUSTIC SPECIFICATIONS

Nominal Chassis Diameter 8” / 203.2 mm Impedance 4/ 8/ 16 Ω Power Handling 250 w (A.E.S.) Peak Power (6dB Crest Factor) 1000 w (A.E.S.) Usable Frequency Range -6dB 90 Hz - 4.5 kHz Sensitivity (1 w - 1 m) 99 dB Moving Mass inc. Air Load 21.76 grams Minimum Impedance Zmin 7 Ω Effective Piston Diameter 6.46” / 164.08 mm Peak Displacement Volume of Cone Vd 0.08 litres Magnetic Gap Depth 0.35” / 9.00 mm Flux Density 1.1 Tesla Coil Winding Height 0.47” / 12.00 mm Voice Coil Diameter 2.0” / 50.8 mm

17. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Back in the day it was common to stuff a 10 inch JBL in a Champ.

asilker likes this.
  18. stark

stark Supporting Member

Pulling the vibrato tube reduces the current draw (also have a fresh cap), while the GZ34 tightens the low end up like a bigger amp. The vibrato is not calibrated for the higher voltages anyway. 6L6 has bigger bass, but I use the 6V6 for lower volume. Here's a short clip.

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/starkcreative/jbl_v2[/SOUNDCLOUD]

19. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

Here's another plug for the Emmy 820H. Takes a bit to break in, but a makes a lovely sound come out of 6V6 single-enders.

20. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

If you want a clean and true JBL 8, 2118 would be my choice, 75$ on the Bay. They do not have the harsh that is associated with the larger JBL's. I use them in 2 way, and as mid drivers in pa cabs. I do not like anything smaller than a 10 for guitar, and then in groups of 4, so I have never used them that way.