JBL EON615 vs EV ZLX15P vs whatever

Hugh_s

Silver Supporting Member
I'm in the market for a lower-cost powered PA system. Looking at the JBL or EV possibly the Mackie srm stuff, but are these pretty decent for small spaces - say 100 people or less, mostly vox and some kick drum in the PA, in a rock band context?

Do they last at all? Could consider a sub later, haven't gone that far. Price and form factor are important, as I would likely use the things for monitors in rehearsal space. I'm trying to get a feel from anyone who has used to these: are they flimsy, do they sound really harsh or farty? No headroom in the amps? or, hopefully, good for basic use in smaller venues.

335guy

I've used both the EV ZLX 12P speakers and the newer JBL EON615's. And I greatly prefer the EV's. In fact, the EV ZLX speaker series are EV's top selling portable speaker world wide. IDK about running a kick drum through them. Most likely it won't do what you hope it would. My choice in that price range would be the EV's.

Floyd Eye

Google JBL Eon. 90% of what you will find is people bitching about them. Because they are junk.

Hugh_s

Silver Supporting Member
I've used both the EV ZLX 12P speakers and the newer JBL EON615's. And I greatly prefer the EV's. In fact, the EV ZLX speaker series are EV's top selling portable speaker world wide. IDK about running a kick drum through them. Most likely it won't do what you hope it would. My choice in that price range would be the EV's.
What did you notice the biggest difference to be?

Hugh_s

Silver Supporting Member
The JBL Eons were distorting badly, even at moderate volume with just vocals running through them. The EV ZLX's stayed clear and clean.
Ahh. That's no good. Does anyone know if the similarly-priced Yamahas (DSRs?) are good? I know the pricier ones seem to get a lot of praise, dunno if hat translates to the lower end stuff.

335guy

You're probably referring to Yamaha's DBR15, which has a map of $600, whereas the EV ZLX15P sells for $500, and so does the JBL EON615. The Yamaha DBR series are fair, and probably on par with the EV's. The DBR's can get a touch louder, according to the specs put out by Yamaha and EV. The Yamahs DSR series is the pricier ( better ) ones , as are the DXR series.

champion ruby

When I had ZLX12P they had some problems. High noise floor and an input on one of the speakers arrived broken. I personally would avoid all the options at that price. QSC and the more expensive EV and Yamaha offerings are much better speakers.

kzoolou

I have the zlx12P's and they work great for what we use them for (rock band with, vocals, keyboard, and kick drum). I find them to be very loud and very clear. I've had them for about a year and haven't had any problems with them. We aren't rough with them and don't push them too hard so I don't know if that is indicative of their reliability, but we've never had a problem. We do, however, use them pretty regularly.

I can't speak to the higher price point speakers because I've never been in a position to A/B them outside of a store.

We did end up adding the ELX 118P, which we don't use all of the time in rehearsal, but it definitely makes the kick drum and the keyboards thump when we can use it. A second one may be in the cards at some point, but so far, we haven't really felt the need for what we do.

Chris63

I've been using a pair of ELX115P for the last 3 years when my band has to provide sound reinforcement. At times we will pair them with some passive subs, mostly outdoors. Absolutely no problems ever, been very satisfied.

Stratobuc

I have a pair of Yamaha C115V speakers I'm using for the mains of my band's p.a., and I'd like to upgrade them, because I don't think they sound all that great. Would the EV ZLX15 be a significant upgrade sound wise?

Stratobuc

I'm not considering the JBL as an option, given the volume of negative reviews. The Yamahas have been durable, but I'm just not real happy with the sound. I just invested in some new Crown XLS series power amps, so I would like to finish up by getting some nice speakers to match with them. I've always like EV products. Just wondering if the ZLX would really be an upgrade over the Yamahas. Interestingly, they are both around the same price point purchased new.

335guy

Just wondering if the ZLX would really be an upgrade over the Yamahas.
You might prefer the overall tone/sound of the EV's over the Yamahas but spec-wise, they're similar enough in power handling and freq. response. It would be more of a sideways move rather than upward move.

I have used both of those speakers, and the Yamahas are bullet proof. Don't know about the EV's. IMO, the Yamahas can sound fine if powered and eq'ed properly. What don't you like about your Yamahas?

Stratobuc

The Yamahas just don't sound very "full" - a little "boxy" in the low end and mids. I have Crown XLS 2005 powering, with a Rane 1/3 octave eq, and a Mackie mixing board. The EV stuff is at least as bulletproof as the Yamaha, just wondering about a side by side comparison soundwise. I am aware that they both handle about the same power RMS and peak.

335guy

The Yamahas just don't sound very "full" - a little "boxy" in the low end and mids. I have Crown XLS 2005 powering, with a Rane 1/3 octave eq, and a Mackie mixing board. The EV stuff is at least as bulletproof as the Yamaha, just wondering about a side by side comparison soundwise. I am aware that they both handle about the same power RMS and peak.
I think sound "quality" is somewhat subjective. In general, I like the way many EV speakers sound. It seems to me they have a sweeter/clearer top end. As for them being as bullet proof as the Yamahas, IDK. I think the EV ZLX high freq driver isn't as robust as the custom Eminence built Yamaha high freq driver. I've had some high freq EV drivers blow on me, but never on the Yamahas. But I hear ya on the way the Yamahas sound somewhat boxy. The bass response and very high freq response seems a bit attenuated. Too bad the discontinued JBL SRX series are so expensive on the used market. For passive PA speakers, those were some of the best in their price point.

bob-i

I have a pair of carvin PM15A's and a pair of EVZLX12P. Overall the EVs sound more balanced and the carvins have a strong midrange that helps vocals cut through. Both need subs to run the kick and bass but for the small bar gigs either work well. I use the carvins as tops and EVs as monitors just because of the size of the EVs, but they're interchangeable.

Stratobuc

The Yamaha cabinets are big, heavy and unwieldy. I have some Carvin 3-ways I bought about 20 years ago that still work. I want to sell the Yamahas and get the EV's. I think I've made my decision - I just wanted some comparative opinions. I definitely think the EV's sound much better than the Yamaha's.

Floyd Eye

The Yamaha cabinets are big, heavy and unwieldy. I have some Carvin 3-ways I bought about 20 years ago that still work. I want to sell the Yamahas and get the EV's. I think I've made my decision - I just wanted some comparative opinions. I definitely think the EV's sound much better than the Yamaha's.

Do yourself a favor and sell all that crap for as much as you can get and buy a pair of Yamaha DSR15s. OR better yet, DSR12s and a quality powered sub.

modulusman

What Floyd said. NO way will get any passive speaker to sound as good unless you spend some real money on a decent bi-ampable speaker and processing.

Trending Topics