1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

JBL in a Swart AST?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TravisE, Oct 12, 2018 at 12:06 AM.

1. TravisE

TravisE Supporting Member

Anyone tried this combination? What’d you think? I have an old EV and a JBL and thought about trying one in the Swart. I’m not sure the design of the amp would allow enough clearance for the magnet on the EV.

2. TravisE

TravisE Supporting Member

3. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

I've got an AST and I never even thought about replacing the speaker in it. If you have a spare cabinet, you might try putting that speaker in it and then plugging the AST into that.

I think the AST sounds great just as it is.

TravisE likes this.
  4. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

I would imagine a JBL to go quite well with the AST - as long as it fits. The AST being very much in the Fender realm I couldn't see why it wouldn't. Possibly the headroom of the amp could be intensified slightly by the somewhat unforgiving JBL though. That would be my only concern.

That said the stock Mojo/ WGS driver I think does a pretty good job in this amp. With exception for the slightly slimmer frequency range it does hold some of the definition of the JBL already, so you may experience the swap not as fundamentally different than you may be led to believe.

TravisE likes this.
  5. cuttyshark

cuttyshark Member

if all you're doing is bedroom/home studio playing, doubt the upgrade would garner much. But, the 6-8db sensitivity gain may be beneficial in gig situations, especially competing with other musicians for sonic real esrate.

6. jerryrig

jerryrig Member

the only way to find out is to put it in...your ears will be a better judge than anybody else's if you like it or not. I've pretty much switched around all the speakers of my various amps, just to experiment, all without
    any TGP approval.

7. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

There are so many great speakers to choose from these days, my JBL's do not get much attention. In 1975 they were at in the top 3, although there were only 4 choices!