1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

JBL Speaker Polarity Question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by sundaypunch, Jan 21, 2008.

1. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I have a silverface Fender with a JBL D130F. The speaker cable is the standard plug into a jack on the back of the chassis with a black and white wire going to the speaker. For now the black is hooked to the black terminal on the JBL and the white is hooked to the red terminal.

Somewhere I had read that the polarity on a JBL speaker was reversed from most speakers - that the black wire on the amp should go to the red terminal on the speaker.

If I do the 9V battery test and touch the + battery terminal to the tip and the - terminal to the body of the plug the speaker moves backward toward the magnet. Is this correct or do I need to reverse the terminals?

2. AR-305

AR-305 Member

Yes JBL's use opposite polarity on their speakers. It is nothing to worry about when using as a single combo speaker. If you were to combine with another non JBL speaker it would be out of phase with the other speaker and you'd simply need to reverse the wires on one or the other. I have read lengthy discussions about the polarity of a single speaker and it's relationship to the magnetic feilds of the tranny's and tubes and such but we'll not got there for now. It is said that the speaker may "sustain" better when polarity is one way or the other. You'll have to try both ways and determine the esoterics for yourself.

3. chaz

chaz Member

It doesn't really matter if you're using the speaker by itself, but hooked up like that it'd most likely be out of phase with any others you might use. You just want to have them all moving in the same direction at the same time.

4. 57tele

57tele Member

5. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

Wow, that thread is some pretty heavy reading.

So is the "proper" setup for my speaker the one where the battery "+" on the tip of the plug makes the speaker go forward?

6. kimock

kimock Member

If you're using the reverb channel, no.
    Just leave it the way it is.
    :NUTS
    Yeah I know, but you don't want to hear me explain it. . .:rolleyes:

peace sk