JC-120 fan here, need advice!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Moe45673, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Hey all,

I am a big fan of solid state amps. I love to use pedals, and the crystal clean sound of an SS amp just does it for me. I am not an amp snob, but I am into tone and am quite pleased with my tone. I regularly get compliments on it from folks of all types, including professional guitarists.

My question: I really like the tone of the Roland JC-120, but am offput by its size. Is their an amp of similar tone that is more portable? I currently use a Marshall AVT275 (purely on the clean channel), which I actually like a lot, but you know how GAS is. Anyhow, something in the range of the size of the AVT would be perfect. One of the smaller Roland JCs, perhaps?

2. Brien

Brien Member

Not a particularly big JC fan, but I always thought that the smaller ones sounded better than the 120. JC-77 I think it was called. The JC-120 always sounded way to boomy for me. Other wise maybe one of the solid state Fenders, or Evans, or even Polytone, come to mind.

3. daddyo

daddyo Guest

The JC 77 comes up for sale used regularly on eBay in the $300-400 range as do the JC 50 and 90. The Roland Cube 30 and 60 have a clean channel that emulates the JC 120 and sounds nice to my ears.

4. jeak

jeak Member

The new Cube 60 (and I think all of the Cubes) has a JC clean mode. That amp is much smaller and lighter than a JC-120. The JC-77 that Brien mentioned was a 2x10 combo. I think it's no longer made, but a used one would be a good alternative to the bulky 120.

5. jeak

jeak Member

Ooops, daddyo beat me to it!

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Thanks a lot! I'm not too into modelling (hey, even I have standards), but the JC-77 sounds cool. I'll check it out!

7. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Your standards may be a bit misguided this time. I've owned just about every model of JC ever made and I think the Cube 60 is simply a much better sounding amp than any of them without any of the JC white noise issues. The only thing it's missing is the stereo chorus.

BTW, the JC77 was replaced with the slightly upgraded JC90.

8. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I agree that the Cube 60 is the real deal. Except that the JC-120 still has a little more attraction for certain things. Is there a 212 version of the Cube 60? That would be pretty happy.

One other thing to think about would be the old Yamaha G120-II type amps. Those things sound great. On the other hand, the guy wanted a smaller rig.

For a small rig, the Cube 60 is the one.

9. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

There's no 2x12, but there is support for an external speaker. I'd really like them to come out with a head+2x12 cab arrangement. I think that would be a great rig.

10. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I bought an Evans JE150 back in '99. It has one 12", which I replaced with an old 1970s EV. It's very small but heavy with that speaker. To me this amp can sound like a Polytone but better, or you can use the controls to get into a more tone range. I'll probably never sell this amp because it really does sound GREAT! Some people say sterile, I say pristine. Check out an Evans and you'll probably buy it.

11. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Yeah I have one of those. It works best with big box archtops, etc. It's got some really nice settings for shaping that sort of tone. WAY better than the old polytone.

The other trick for big box sounds is the Fishman Acoustic Performer Pro.

12. AlexF

AlexF Member

I'll just whisper it in case you may want to secretly try it... (flextone?? head or combo) I'm not into modelling either, but these things really work.
    Al

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

My problem with modelling is that it's the dickens to cut through a band mix when using one of those beasts. If you folks say that the cube 60 is more plug and play (please no "it's great once you meticulously dial it in after 12 hours of straining those eardrums, preferable suffering a stroke in the process."), then heck yeah!

Heavy is not really the issue for me, it's actually real estate that does it for me. My AVT is pretty durned heavy, but it's cool.

Alex, I won't tell ;) Seriously, is the Flextone a b*tch to dial in?

14. 1kidc

1kidc Member

I've had great luck with the '80's vintage Yamaha G-50 & G-100 combos. They are hard to kill, cheap to buy (the last one -mint- ran me $65 on ebay) and sound really great for loud clean playing funk & Jazz gigs.

I just put som emi neo speakers in them and they now each weigh in at about a polytone. Small gigs I just use one and outdoors or big places I use both and run stereo. And if it gets rained on or drinks vibrate off them, at this price - who cares?

Also come in handy as the stereo "wet" cabs for a wet/dry setup. Hey - if they're good enough for Mike Stern, they're good enough for me.

15. jeak

jeak Member

I agree with Jim Soloway about the Cube vs. the JC. I have owned a JC-120, and I never liked it all that much. Way too noisy. I'm no fan of the Cube either, but I'd take it any day over a JC.

Someone mentioned the Yamaha G100II. I have owned three of those combos (long time ago), and I agree that they are a nice solid-state amp. Very different from a JC but a good clean sound nonetheless. My only misgiving with them is that all three of mine had problems with the parametric EQ.

I have tried a 1x15 Evans combo. Again, very different from a JC but still a nice amp. My main problem with the Evans was that I just could not get a sound I was wild about, even after 30 minutes of tweaking.

The Cube is definitely plug and play. Very little tweaking needed. You pretty much plug in, and then you either like it or you don't. I thought it sounded good, but I didn't buy it because it was a little too brittle for me and it lacked the feel I wanted. Just gotta have my tubes.

16. AlexF

AlexF Member

"Alex, I won't tell ;) Seriously, is the Flextone a b*tch to dial in?"

You need to spend some time when you first get it to find the 2 or 3 really great sounds that suit you. Once you have them, its straightforward, disregard all the settings and stuff you dont need. I use just 2 models, the eq and vol settings are exactly like using the amps themselves. The only compication I have found is the cabinet emulation. The need to have it switched on or off seems to change depending on what speakers/cab you are using. This isnt a problem with a combo, but can be with a head. Try one out, you cant lose from that?? Lastly, I havent had any cutting through problems with the 2 models I use, they just sound and react very very much like the real thing, hard for an old tube amp chump like me to accept!!
    Al

17. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

You may want to try a Peavey Transtube amps (Studio Pro, Bandit, Supreme XL, XXL). I also use pedals, and need a lot of clean headroom. After side-by-side comparisons, I use my Peavey's over my: '67 Fender Bandmaster, Music Man RD50, Mesa/Boogie DC-3, Marshall AVT150, Traynor YCV40WR, Vox Valvetronix or Roland Cube.

18. daddyo

daddyo Guest

With my Cube 30 and the JC clean channel, I simply set all the tone controls to the mid point, bit of reverb, and go from there. I personally dial out a bit of bass for my hollow and semi hollow axes. All controls are knobs - no menus or LED charts. No patches or downloads. Just an amp.

19. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Awesome, some of those suggestions sound really cool.

A $65 great sounding amp is pretty hard to beat. I might get one just cos I can.

Chicago Slim, your suggestion intrigues me as well. Which do you recommend, the Bandit or the Studio Pro? The price on those things is uber tempting. One thing I really like about my Marshall AVT is that, unlike most solid state amps, when you turn up the volume on that baby it sounds better than when the volume is low. Really full and thick. Is the Peavey line similar in this regard?

About the Flextone: I have had so much trouble with modelling (I used to use a line 6 podxt live). With a regular setup, what sounds good in the bedroom sounds crappy and/or gets lost in the mix and vice versa. With modelling, multiply that by a billion. I don't trust the tones I get when tweaking at home when using these babies.

If the cube, Peavey, or 80s Yamaha don't do it for me, then I'll try out the Line 6

20. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

Yup...check in the Cubes they are NICE and I am a tube snob.

do a search on TGP.