jc120 distortion is very cool...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jzilla, May 19, 2008.

1. jzilla

jzilla Member

at a guitar center, i was playing around with an ibanez archtop into a jc120. when plugged into input 2, i found that it's distortion is extremely fun to play... i know it's known for it's clean sound but i was seriously digging it's distortion (up to around 9 or 10 o'clock). a very fun amp. makes me rethink the whole tube vs solid state argument. not sure if it's so black and white...

anyone else out there digging the jc120 distortion?

-j

2. Majai

Majai Member

Is this your idea of a joke?

JC-120 = worst distortion ever

3. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Think white and get real.

4. jzilla

jzilla Member

that's what i thought (i used to own a jc120). but i'm telling you man, it was working. sounded very cool and atypical. obviously it depends on what and how you play.

5. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

That's good man. Most people will say JC-120 distortion is unusable - but who is to say that someone out there won't like it? If you dig it; and you think it will work for you that's great. Besides that I'm always suspicious of majority opinions. Sometimes an opinion can become dogma and even poeple who haven't tried out things first hand start expressing the same consensus opinion - before you know everyone assumes that it's the truth. And oh yeah - nothing wrong with solid state either. There are some great solid state amps out there; just as there are crappy valve amps.

6. dunara

dunara Member

Amen to all of that.

I use an early 80s JC120 at the college where I teach. The distortion is horrible. Imagine my surprise, then when I was supplied with a newish JC120 at a gig recently, and loved the distortion sound. Have they revamped the circuit design of the amp? I noticed also that the TMB controls were much more sensitive and effective. The tones on the old amp hardly do anything....

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I am with you. I usd to dislike it, then one day I tried it with the chorus off, dialed it in for just a bit of breakup, and it sounded pretty darn good with my humbucker Les Paul!

P.S. My tube amps aren't going anywhere.....

8. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

Would be cool if Roland used some Boss OD/DS pedal circuits in the JC120

9. jzilla

jzilla Member

yes, well said!

10. jzilla

jzilla Member

this was a used jc120. i wonder what year... i didn't consider that roland may have upgraded the distortion circuit. and yes, the tone controls were very responsive and usuable. hmm...

11. bosstone

bosstone Member

When I saw Steely Dan on their first and very limited tour, there were a couple of JC 120s being used. Of course, they sounded fantastic.

12. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I don't know man, The Dan toured in 72, think a few years before the the JC120, but I was only 10yrs old, so what do I know. I seem to remember the JC120 coming later in the 70's, like late 78. That is when I saw them appear amongst my keyboard playing friends back in the day. I would use the Roland with pedals though, and as a great keyboard amp. Again, what do I know. :band

13. bosstone

bosstone Member

It is possible it wasn't their first tour but it was the first tour I know that they did and "Skunk" Baxter was on guitar. I know they did very few tours because they were basically studio musicians. I don't recall the year but it was in Connecticut, and I think it was in Bridgewater. I will try to look it up when I get some time.

14. gregc

gregc Member

Damn, I always thought that JC distortion was the worst thing ever......

15. jzilla

jzilla Member

true dat.

dunara, think you could post a ciip or two?

16. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

It seems like you and I are the only two who like it (new or vintage JC120). Have owned over 60 amps (vintage, tube, SS, boutique, blah, blah, blah). If your ears like it, enough said.

You could make a CAREER on a tone that no one else likes or isn't used to. EVERYONE will buy a JC120 if you get famous using (maybe secretly?) as YOUR tone!

17. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

I had a JC-77 and found that on about 2 the distortion added a nice subtle compressed tone/warmth to all of that brightness. In a pinch it was fine for me e.g jam