JCA Circuits Golden Ratio 1.6 - why hadn't I heard about this amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Baemer, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Baemer

Baemer Supporting Member

Hi Guys -
    I just picked up the amp reviewed in the article below in a trade.
    The only changes made to it since the review is that the speaker has had a hemp re-cone on the Celestion Blue.

It's really a super inspiring beast to play, and I've been very happy with so far, I feel it is upping my game due to the touch responsive qualities and the fact that you play it as well as your guitar, putting you in an 'inspiration loop'...it gives back everything you put into it. Massive sustain, uber thick cleans, plenty of gain available if you go there, very transparent, bloomy and chime-y. Reminds me of a Trainwreck Rocket style amp I once played.

https://web.archive.org/web/20091222041956/http://www.jcacircuits.com/ToneQuest.pdf

Why are these so under the radar? What happened to the builder? Any other owners out there? I found a Facebook page with 4 members, and that's about it for current active users.

If you have knowledge, or own or have owned one, please share your stories!

Thanks, happy playing.

pima1234 likes this.
  2. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

PIMA had one of Jason's amps for a bit, one I was chasing too, but it was destroyed in shipping and lost to the world. Jason posted frequently in the old amp tech pages of other sites and occasionally over here. I think he got out of the biz.

pima1234 and Baemer like this.
  3. Baemer

Baemer Supporting Member

Dexter - sorry to hear your story, but I appreciate the info! Did you get a chance to play one? Wondering if I can get away with it being my live amp...it will be a fun experiment.

Cheers!
    B

pima1234 likes this.
  4. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Always worth a try. Never played a JCA but was very curious to try.

Ended up picking up a couple Sniders (California and New Jersey). Those two totally hang - I've played the NJ out and about and have used the Cali in rehearsals and in recording - and both are great fun.

Baemer likes this.
  5. Baemer

Baemer Supporting Member

Tried it with my pedals tonight. Epic!

Would love to try the Sniders some day. Super happy for now....

Cheers - B

6. Baemer

Baemer Supporting Member

PSA - If anyone is interested in owning one of these (no affiliation with seller or builder) you can check one out here - https://reverb.com/item/822339-very...le-killer-best-1x12-boutique-combo-ever-built .

Then, we can geek out together. :) However the seller is wrong on one point. The amp I received actually came with a letter from the builder stating it was the first one built, and the one used for the Tonequest review. (should probably let him know).

Be in touch if you pick it up....

Cheers -
    B

7. BluesWannabe

BluesWannabe Member

Just saw this thread... Great amp! I have one that I got new from Jason in 2007 or 2008.

Here is an excerpt from an email Jason sent me right before the amp shipped:

"The 1.6 ships standard with mixture of Groove Tubes, EH, and NOS Sylvania 5U4 tubes. You can use any brand of 6V6 as long as it is a 6V6GT or equivalent type only. Don't try the old metal 6V6's or Glass 6V6G's in this amp--they may not survive being cranked up for long. Also, the GR is designed to be able to use a 5Y3, 5U4, GZ-34, or GT SubstiTubes rectifiers. Any type of noval [9 Pin]preamp tube will work in the circuit too. So go nuts.

As far as a GR 1.6 pedal--it is in the works. I have hit upon electronic relationships which really jive when deployed utilizing various ratios of Phi. This should prove to be a very desirable and ultra usable distortion sound. I LOVE the way my GR 1.6 amplifier sounds and responds. I design and build to please my senses--I am not worried whether the masses come flocking to me. I measure my success by how I personally feel about my creations. "

Seems like the GR 1.6 pedal never materialized...

I'm very happy with the amp, it sounds great and is very responsive to pick attack and volume level set from the guitar. It also takes overdrive levels well...

I have used the original Celestion Blue speaker, but I also like the CL80 and a Jensen NEO from a Reverend Kingsnake... Have you tried any other speakers or tubes?

pima1234 and Baemer like this.
  8. pima1234

pima1234 Member

Thread resurrection.

I won't even tell you guys what I (stupidly) sold mine for when we moved. I mean, I'm all Axe FX now, but that JCA GR1.6 was my favorite of all the amps I had owned. It is the one I actually miss the most. The perfect amp.

Jason should build more. Problem is, I imagine it's not cost-effective for him. Very high end build.

Baemer and BluesWannabe like this.
  9. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

10. pima1234

pima1234 Member