JCM 2000 DSL owners, can it get this bands album sound? your opinion on it

gishlullmoon

i recently posted on here about Fryette/VHT amps geting All American Rejects Move Along albumsound and it sounds like it just doesn't do it.....when they were using vht/fryette they were using a fryettte old school vht power amp with a jmp-1..... they also played live just using a jcm 2000 dsl head... im saving my money for a jcm 2000 dsl 1 watt head but i just got a few questions, can the jcm 2000 get this sound of the album??? i heard only one youtube vid that sound like it but i'm just wondering if you can dial it in and nail it. Im not sure if they used the fryette power amp/jmp-1 on the record or the jcm 2000. i was looking to save up and buy a sig x by fryette but in demos it just doesnt sound like it.... although many people on here say it can get into aar territory. my other question is just how loud is can 1 watt get??? the amps i have are raven amp 100 watt and a mesa mini rectifier.....raven can get louder than needed in my basement, and at low settings mesa mini is more than enough but yet perfect for low volumes. but the mesa mini is 25 watts and people say its louder than 25, so how loud can the jcm 2000 1 watt head get?? it really low and weak??? can i run it thorugh a 4x12 and still rock? is there any difference between the 15watt dsl head and the jcm 2000 1 watt head besides wattage?? because if 1 watt isnt loud i think i have to go somewhere else. it would be nice to have an amp you can crank tho, with mini rec i can barely turn it up.

gishlullmoon

i guess i'll just buy the head find out.........just thought i d try to get advice from you guys i haven't owned a marshall with its own distortion before...............i only owned a 1984 jcm 800 combo like 10 years ago and it didnt have distortion in it.....not really.. it had a low input high input type thing and i didnt like it. i just read somewhere that jcm 2000 blows the new dsl away. but the jcm 2000 1 watt im looking at probably is built different htan the jcm 2000 heads they use to make before they discontinued the old models.

still i think the 1 watt head might be the way to go????

is it too quiet to put on a show in your basement?? like if a family gathering was to come over can it get loud through a 4x12 ??? my finished basement is pretty big, its just one big room, no rooms divided by walls or doors just one big room...............(mental hospital lol)

Ed Stawarz

I have a dsl1h head. I listened to your music that you put up. I would say, without a doubt, you can get that sound. The amp is a really good home amp. I am running it to a 25 watt greenback I do not really use the dirty channel myself, I love the clean channel and prefer an over drive on the clean because I am into very low overdrive. I messed with the dirt on this amp a little and it is good if that is what you are looking for.

randomhero

I own a JCM 2000 50 watt head and used to own a DSL 15 combo. A lot of the time people will see an artist using a certain amp and think that's the tone, but what most people will never know is if the amp has been modded in anyway by a guitar tech. I like the stock sounds out of the dsl 15, it was a great little amp, the 15 watt head would have been a better option for me in hindsight. For that All American Rejects pop punk tone I would think it is a marshall boosted maybe with a tubescreamer, or other overdrive pedal. If you were to consider doing this method I would also recommend a noise gate pedal.

bigtone23

I'm sure the JCM2000 will get that sound.
FWIW, the new DSL amps are really similar to the older DSL amps. It's argued in both directions as to which era is better.

gishlullmoon

I own a JCM 2000 50 watt head and used to own a DSL 15 combo. A lot of the time people will see an artist using a certain amp and think that's the tone, but what most people will never know is if the amp has been modded in anyway by a guitar tech. I like the stock sounds out of the dsl 15, it was a great little amp, the 15 watt head would have been a better option for me in hindsight. For that All American Rejects pop punk tone I would think it is a marshall boosted maybe with a tubescreamer, or other overdrive pedal. If you were to consider doing this method I would also recommend a noise gate pedal.
hey thanks guys for feedback, i got a picture of their rack, they use a tube screamer..... I think i'm going to by the head..... when i bought my mini rectifier i was surprised how much the mini rec nailed their first album tone without any pedals or anything extra at all

lowyaw

i recently posted on here about Fryette/VHT amps geting All American Rejects Move Along albumsound and it sounds like it just doesn't do it.....when they were using vht/fryette they were using a fryettte old school vht power amp with a jmp-1..... they also played live just using a jcm 2000 dsl head... im saving my money for a jcm 2000 dsl 1 watt head but i just got a few questions, can the jcm 2000 get this sound of the album??? i heard only one youtube vid that sound like it but i'm just wondering if you can dial it in and nail it. Im not sure if they used the fryette power amp/jmp-1 on the record or the jcm 2000. i was looking to save up and buy a sig x by fryette but in demos it just doesnt sound like it.... although many people on here say it can get into aar territory. my other question is just how loud is can 1 watt get??? the amps i have are raven amp 100 watt and a mesa mini rectifier.....raven can get louder than needed in my basement, and at low settings mesa mini is more than enough but yet perfect for low volumes. but the mesa mini is 25 watts and people say its louder than 25, so how loud can the jcm 2000 1 watt head get?? it really low and weak??? can i run it thorugh a 4x12 and still rock? is there any difference between the 15watt dsl head and the jcm 2000 1 watt head besides wattage?? because if 1 watt isnt loud i think i have to go somewhere else. it would be nice to have an amp you can crank tho, with mini rec i can barely turn it up.

sounds pretty Marshally to me. i'll even go on a limb and say it sounds quite G12T75, ie like a standard Marshall cab. you won't nail the tone from actual recording, as there's much more to the sound and overall production than just a sound of a guitar amp, and in the mix, guitars sound pretty processed - like a bit of EQ on them to make them fit in. but it will sound close enough anyway.

demea26

DSL50 owner here and had many 100w DSL's over the years as well. It can def nail that tone. My cover band used to do that song as well as Dirty Little Secret. A TS-9 with the gain all the way down, tone in the middle and level about 5-6 on the red lead 1 channel is the ticket. Don't go above 5-6 on the gain knob and watch the treble and presence as these are bright amps.
I also use a simple Boss GE-7 EQ in a slight mid hump with the 100Hz boosted to thicken up the tone a little. A noise gate will help, too to get the tighter rhythm parts

gishlullmoon

DSL50 owner here and had many 100w DSL's over the years as well. It can def nail that tone. My cover band used to do that song as well as Dirty Little Secret. A TS-9 with the gain all the way down, tone in the middle and level about 5-6 on the red lead 1 channel is the ticket. Don't go above 5-6 on the gain knob and watch the treble and presence as these are bright amps.
I also use a simple Boss GE-7 EQ in a slight mid hump with the 100Hz boosted to thicken up the tone a little. A noise gate will help, too to get the tighter rhythm parts
sweet I'm happy to hear this!!! i have had tube screamer befroe, weither i didn't know how to use it properly or they are pieces of **** someone tell me how to use a tube screamer? like where do you plug it in front of amp or fxloop?

in pictures of his rig you can see him using a tube screamer but it is a TS808 probably not much difference.

randomhero

I plug my Overdrive in front of my amp and it sounds great!!, I use a Seymour Duncan 805 overdrive which is pretty much the same circuit as a tube screamer but with more tonal options, Seymour Duncan 805 was designed specifically for boosting the front end of an already overdriven amp, I use to use a Ibanez ts9 but with the Seymour Duncan 805 I can adjust the mids and bass a hell of a lot better, it's also only like $20 more than a ts9, great investment!!. Checkout the Seymour Duncan 805 review on Sweetwater.com, you will like!

gishlullmoon

can you run the jcm 2000 1 watt head through a 4x12 marshall cab? i happen to have a 1960A marshall cab with g12-75s do you guys think it is those kind of speakers?????

on the first album it was rectifier with v30s marshall cab.....

Ed Stawarz

can you run the jcm 2000 1 watt head through a 4x12 marshall cab? i happen to have a 1960A marshall cab with g12-75s do you guys think it is those kind of speakers?????

I use a 1x12 but when I play it at a store I played it through a 4 x12. Worked just fine.

gishlullmoon

sounds pretty Marshally to me. i'll even go on a limb and say it sounds quite G12T75, ie like a standard Marshall cab. you won't nail the tone from actual recording, as there's much more to the sound and overall production than just a sound of a guitar amp, and in the mix, guitars sound pretty processed - like a bit of EQ on them to make them fit in. but it will sound close enough anyway.
are you sure its not v30s?? wouldn't they be using v30s live?? i have a g12 cab and i think it is terrible for AAR's first record, maybe i guess move along's sound would be different. but i still gotta save up my money for a marshall v30 cab anyway so once i get one we'll see what happens... gotta get the head first since i already have a mesa v30 cab too

demea26

sweet I'm happy to hear this!!! i have had tube screamer befroe, weither i didn't know how to use it properly or they are pieces of **** someone tell me how to use a tube screamer? like where do you plug it in front of amp or fxloop?

in pictures of his rig you can see him using a tube screamer but it is a TS808 probably not much difference.
Personally I don't like tubescreamers for anything other than to tighten up a high gain amps bottom end and add a little sizzle. I don't like a TS-9 or 808 by itself as an overdrive. Always sounded thin to me.

Lately I'm using a Way Huge Green Rhino or Keeley modded SD-1 as TS type pedal (mid heavy OD). I like the WHGR because of the 100Hz and mid knobs. Really adds balls to an amp like the DSL that lacks a strong bottom end with the red channel when in a mix. The Keeley is great as well, but normally use it as an OD for the green crunch channel.

Put the TS through the front of the amp (Guitar-->TS-->amp input). I wouldn't think it would sound very good through the FX loop, but in all honestly I've never tried an OD in the loop. May sound awesome??

I completely agree with @demea26... I have a DSL50 and use it with a 4x12 with G12T75's and it will easily nail the tones from AAR's Move Along album; and as demea26 noted, the real magic with the DSL's happens when you keep the gain down fairly low, and push it with a TS in front of the amp (overdrives never go in the loop!). I use a Digitech Bad Monkey myself, with the gain set to 0 (zero), and the level set to about 11:00, on the green channel if you want a slightly bassier tone, set gain to no more than 12:00 (5 on the dial); and on the red channel if you want a bit less bass, with the gain at 9:00 (2.5 on the dial). Since the BM has separate bass and treble controls (and is only $40 on the used market), it's extremely versatile if you want to further shape your tone a bit. I like it better than any standard or modded TS that I ever tried.

But also be warned, half of the final tone is in the speakers. You can use the DSL with the wrong speakers and never come close to it's best tone, or the tone you want. Before the G12T75's I was using a 2x12 with Eminence Legend V12's, and those also nailed the tones too; they are more similar to G12-65's which are also similar to the T75's, but just a tad darker, so when using those I just bumped the treble and presence a hair, but other wise any of those 3 speakers will do that tone easily. I would NOT suggest trying to use V30's or Greenbacks for those tones, too much midrange. The Move Along album has the classic marshall honk and slightly scooped midrange from the T75's or 65's to my ear, definitely not mid heavy like the V30's or GB's would be.

Cheers
TRJB

lowyaw

are you sure its not v30s?? wouldn't they be using v30s live?? i have a g12 cab and i think it is terrible for AAR's first record, maybe i guess move along's sound would be different. but i still gotta save up my money for a marshall v30 cab anyway so once i get one we'll see what happens... gotta get the head first since i already have a mesa v30 cab too
It's hard to tell from the recording. That could be anything, but as previous poster noted, it sounded a little too scooped for V30s. Other than that, a lot of people use regular Marshalls live, nothing's wrong with them. Horses for courses. I've been playing g12t75 Marshall cabs for a LONG time before I switched to Mesa / V30, and the latter felt very different for a long long time before I finally got used to the sound.
As a side note, when I was playing DSL50 amp, I never used the OD channel. Just crank the gain on the clean channel, engage gain boost on the amp, and you're instantly in hot rodded JCM800 zone. Turn volume down and it's clean, put an overdrive in front and you have a great lead tone. I used a TS.

gishlullmoon

well i guess i should be set then already having a gt 12 marshall cab, i still want a marshall v30 cab for their first album tho......my v30 cab ihavenow is mesa people say there is very little difference but comparison on youtube is even obvious.

I use my DSL 1H with a 212 recto cab. No problems. I'm confident it would power a 412 as well.

doghouseman

as long as the speaker cab ohm rating is correct with the output of the amp, it doesnt matter how many speakers you have in the cab, or watts you have. Just match the ohms.

BTW, the G12-75 is an excellent speaker.

Lots of guys here dont use the drive channel on the DSL 2000. I use mine and it is fantastic, but it took me a long time to dial in the sound I like. I basically have to turn the EQ all the way down so that I can switch between the red (overdrive) and the green (clean) channel. But once I did that, I got rid of my tubescreamer.

Trending Topics