JCM 600 - What sounds like it?

dwolfggc

I have a jcm 600 which i love, but it keeps blowing internal fuses. I have done some research on this amp and know it has a reputation for being unreliable. So my question is what can i get that will sound like this amp but be more reliable?

Quantum Cat

The filament circuit has a fuse that's rated too low in this amp, 6.3 amps IIRC. That's probably the one that keeps blowing. In general it's a bad idea to go higher with a fuse rating but in this case you can. Try a 10 amp slow-blow, you shouldn't have any trouble with it anymore. P.S. if you're not sure which fuse to replace, take it to a tech.

Gnarlly

The JCM 2000 series (DSL, TSL) sound very much like the older JTM/JCM 600 series (I've owned a JCM2000 DSL and several JTM 600s).

dwolfggc

the fuse that blew is the internal 500ma fuse. I can replace it myself its not hard but the same thing happened about 4 months ago. This time it happened right before a set. i had a backup but it was frustrating, and if this is going to keep happening I'd rather get something else.

I'll have to check out a DSL again sometime. I tried one at guitar center a while ago and wasn't impressed. The thing thats great about the JCM 600 is that it sounds good at low volume. I remember thinking the DSL i tried sound kind fizzy at low volume. I remember thinking it sounded like a POD emulation of a marshall

Ramblin390

The filament circuit has a fuse that's rated too low in this amp, 6.3 amps IIRC. That's probably the one that keeps blowing. In general it's a bad idea to go higher with a fuse rating but in this case you can. Try a 10 amp slow-blow, you shouldn't have any trouble with it anymore. P.S. if you're not sure which fuse to replace, take it to a tech.
thats what my amp tech did for me, he said the initial start up blew the fuse. The amp is a bit problematic though.

dwolfggc

For me by "keeps blowing" i mean it has blown 2 in the last 8 months. So its not unusable i just get nervous about when its going to blow again. There are 2 internal fuses and the first time one blew i took it to a tech so i don't know which one it was. Maybe it was a different fuse each time and now it will be fine.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom