Jcm 800 2203 reissue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red Planet, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Got rid of the last thread.

Has anyone played these? What are the pros and cons about these?

In comparison to the origionals?

2. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Mine is on the way. I should have it by early next week. Right behind it will be a fulltone OCD pedal. I'll be posting about it.

3. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

What cab are ya gonna use?

4. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I lucked up and got a used one from a friend. It has blackback speakers in it. I'm not sure what wattage. I' ve heard 80. I"ll probably get a marshall or a Germino with greenbacks.

5. popinvasion

popinvasion Member

THe new ones are ok the trannies are not as robust and build quality is not as nice. The originals sounds all around better.

6. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I don't get it, the originals used are dirt cheap.

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Thats what I want to know Sunset.

Money is not the issue Plexi.

I want paticulars.

The reason I'm asking about the new ones is I'm not shure if I want to go the Ebay route or get one from someone here. If I could find one locally that would be great but it would be real easy to purchase a new one.

So one man says Trannys arent as good. Anybody else want to chime in on this.

I get the feeling this aint on the subject of the latest booteek crase so folks are setting out there yawning. Come on guys if you know something about these please chime in.

One thing I've noticed is reissues are never as good as the origionals. Can this be true 100 percent of the time? Or is it the Placebo effect?

I want the goods on these amps.

I actually would prefer a 50 watter but I want to find one locally. Not into ripoffs and broken packages these days so I just would prefer to go local. I can get the reissue local and try it out.

8. Erik

Erik Member

You'll find that as with anything, tastes vary and opinions are subjective. Old vs New, single channel vs dual, blah, blah, blah. I can only give you my opinion for what it's worth...

I went looking for a JCM800 recently and tried the 2203, 2204, 2205, 2210, as well as the 2203 reissue. The thing I noticed the most was that the 2203 reissue was pretty consistant sounding from head to head...all the older models varied a tad. Channel switching wasn't a huge deal for me, but it was a cool feature...and I wasn't looking for <insert boutique name here> type cleans...this amp is to be used for a specific application. I wound up buying a 2205 (50 watts with 2 channels and reverb) from a forum member here and it was EXACTLY what I was looking for tonewise. (I believe it is either an '87 or '88...I forget.) The 50 watt versions of these amps are still VERY loud (my other amp is a Road King...and this head has NO problems keeping up with it at the volumes I play). A cool thing about the JCM's is that they're pretty simple, straight forward amps...they can be easily dialed in to your taste or modded for very little $$$ in most cases. If you know the JCM tone is what you're after...you probably won't go wrong with any of them IMHO . You can safely bet that if you don't like it, you could unload it for what you paid and not really take a bath...go for it.

9. el34power

el34power Member

Well that sums it up perfecly:) I would add that i have a 1984 2203 head and i love it BUT. If i were in the market, i would look for a 2x12 JCM800 50 combo and load it with something nice like a couple of greenbacks or fang+green combo.... I can also add that i miss having an effects loop for delay but hey! You don't buy a 5.0l. mustang for feul economy and comfort:D

10. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Thanx Guys.

Well as one of you said I'm getting this amp for a verey specific sound.

I need the Lead Tone this amp will produce. I dont need a good clean or crunch. I'm missing the lead tone this amp will produce for studio Purposes.

I'm gearing up for recording and no amp I have will get that late 70's JMP Master or early 80's JCM 800 Lead tone like the real deal.

My Balls 18 watter has a very cool Best in the Business Rythem Tone with a Tele plugged into it and gives up a very impressive blues lead tone that is the stuff (think 68 Plexi in a smaller package).

My Lonestar has a Gorgeous Clean Tone with lots of Dumble like Thump. It also serves as a Swiss Army Amp which is great for gigs. It has some very good Dirt sounds.

My SDG Tweed Amp does the explodo Tweed sound in Spades.

My Silver Face Princeton does its thing.

None of them however does that what this old foagie calls High Gain sound that that amp does. Thats what I'm loking for. Now its not High Gain by todays standards but its just right by TOFF standards. :D

Yeah I got plenty of pedals but they can be a bit noisy.

11. KTT

KTT Member

I have the 2203 RI and i have the originals,the RI is just as good,in fact BETTER, its a brand new amp with the same circuit ,same componants,same eveything! and the loop isnt bad either,dont believe the hype regarding old verus new

12. JWR

JWR Member

I just cannot get over the pricing. I understand that it's competitive for today's market for a new, fine amp. But for a little bit more coin you are into boutique territory. I remember going to the stores and seeing these things stacked to the ceiling used.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I feel your pain. However as I said money is not the issue. For a little more coin I could have a Booteek amp?

And what amp would that be? Not one amp I can think of does this paticular Marshall sound I want.

I'm shure there are a few out there that will come close but sometimes its better to go to the source than go to the copy of the source. I think we can all get caught up into Booteek Fever. Aint nothing wrong with an actual Marshall.

14. Erik

Erik Member

That's a valid point. I loved the way the 2203x sounded, but the price was pretty steep considering what a used 2203 goes for. The flip side is that there is no loop...and I need a loop...which led me to the alternative of the 2205/2210...fortunately, I got one that sounds like I want it to.

Even the used JCM800's are starting to go for mad money.

15. Ironman

Ironman Member

The 2203X is a fine amp! I had 2 JCM800's in the 80's, moved over to Mesa Boogies for awhile then on to Boutique stuff. I've gone full circle and am back with Marshall again. I had a 2203X for about a year and it sounded better than my older JCM800's. They're pricey but I liked it even better than some of my more expensive Boutique stuff (Boutique does not always mean better sounding). I used a Seymour Duncan pu booster just to give it a little more hair for solos which sounded superb. BTW, I prefer the 2203 with a V30 loaded cab. I sold the 2203 only to fund a Bray modded Plexi which is very cool too, different but not really better. For what the JCM800 does, I haven't played a better amp.

16. JWR

JWR Member

Well, I certainly can appreciate buying a "real" Marshall. I've got a few myself. I do like the workmanship and tones of the boutique products I own. I recently looked at the Marshall 2203 in the Musicians Friend catolog and that was the basis for my pricing observation. Good to hear you know what you are looking for. If many of us could answer that very question, there would be alot less amps being purchased.

17. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

So Marshal is supposed to give thier amps away while everyone else charges a freakin fortune for what they are pushing.

A good example is the JCM 800 reissue.

Compare that to another PCB amp out there such as Bogner. How much are they going for?

I think you can compare a TSL also with a XTC. If the TSL didnt say Marshall it would be considered a Booteek amp. The Bogner isnt exactly a hand wired PTP amp but the TSL isnt either.

Whats the difference? The London 65 amp is made in a production shop that also does SWR Fender stuff but its Booteek. :eek:

I think it all depends on your perspective.

To me its all good there is a Place for all these amps. I have some Boutique stuff and it has its place. There is allways room for a run of the mill regular ol Marshall. :)

18. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Thanx. You guys can type much faster than I. :D

I wont be paying the regular price for it. You can bet your bottom dollar on that. I'll be paying the Red Planet discount.
    :D

Just ask Rastaman.

19. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I'm getting one for two very good reasons. The first is that I'm getting it at a phenominal price from one of the greatest albeit not most prolific sales staff in US. These guys bread and buter was Gibson until they lost it. I've purchased two Gibsons from them and now this marshall and will be getting my effects from them too. thanks George.

The second reason is back in the day I had an old 2203 master v before they even came out with JCM. It sounded amazing. I've head many marshalls jmp this or that and they were way to clean. You could hardly play a maple board fender through one.
    My mv 2203 sounded great. I'm confident this one will too.

If I were going to get an amp for a bit over 2 gran I would certainly go for the OD100 or the Fuchs supreme overdrive. The CAE does sound close to the JCM to me.

20. Erik

Erik Member

I got mine from a forum member, too. (It was packed well enough to withstand a full frontal nuclear assault, too.) I trust the members on this forum far more than going the ebay route.