1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

JCM 800 2204 EL34 Bias Range?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by mcdyas, May 20, 2006.

1. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

I picked up a 1984 JCM 800 w/ EH EL34's. The EH's measured around 25 when I tested the bias readings. I put some new =C= EL34's in and they read around 22.5 without any bias pot adjustment. What is the safe range for EL34's in this amp and what is your preferred bias point?

2. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

A safe range would be 60-70% of max plate dissipation (25w).....if your plate voltage is 450 .....60% would be about 33ma and 70% about 38ma. I'd set it to 60% or just a little more. YMMV with different plate voltage.
    Dave C

3. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

I did it and 33 as a target works well, thanks very much.

4. mmorse

mmorse Member

I have 2 800s and run my tubes in the 60-65% range.

5. Kidcactus

Kidcactus Member

What is the formula you're using to figure bias voltage. The plate voltage on my Colonial is 475 volts, how do I come up with a bias voltage?

6. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

We're not figuring voltage.....we're figuring current. A generally safe range is 60%-70% of max. plate dissipation which in the case of el34 tubes is 25w max per tube, so 0.6x25=15 then divide that by the plate voltage which in your amp is 475, so 15/475=0.0315789 amps or 31.6 milliamps for 60% of max dissipation. This would be measured usually with a bias probe or xformer shunt method using a DMM. It would actually be lower than what is read due to screen current not factored in but that just leaves you with a little extra safety margin built in. As always ,be safe, if you don't really understand what you're doing have a tech or somebody else who's done it before show you because 475 volts can kill.
    Dave C

7. mmorse

mmorse Member

Or use this calculator: http://www.webervst.com/tubes/calcbias.htm
    In this case 70% translates to a plate dissipation of 17 watts for a 34 in a class A/B amp. 17 watts of dissipation (70% of a 34's 25 watt rating) at a 475 plate voltage is 36.8ma. 60% is around 32ma.

I found not to go strictly by numbers. Trust your ear. Just try not exceed 70%.

8. Lashing

Lashing Member

800's can be biased pretty cold and still sound OK. I found 60% is just fine. 70% gets into mushy territory. Just my experience. I've also found the 800's extremly forgiving.