JCM 800 bass capacity?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jack, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Jack

Jack Member

I'm a total noob when it comes to Marshall amps. I'm checking out these JCM 800 heads. I understand the earlier ones with vertical inputs are the highest build quality.
    My question is are these heads capable of massive bottom end? I think of them as having a tighter bass, but can you get some ridiculous bottom if you want it?
    I think I'm a Marshall guy, but don't know it. Is there another Marshall model I should be considering? I play mostly distorted rock, but without a bassist ala White Stripes, so I compensate by adding a lot of low end though every possible means.

2. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I'd say they do have a very large bottom end, yes. Of course cabinetes will vary this as well as to how tight it is, but I've always had a LOT of bottom end no matter the cab.

3. Twangzilla

Twangzilla Member

Try a 100W 2203 with KT88s, that should have some low end.

4. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

There's a local Metal Guy, Andy Williams, in Every Time I Die, that uses RI 800's and his tone is huge for a metal player. I played an 800 channel switcher for years that would make hollow stages resonate lie earthquakes when I wanted it to. Great amps for the right gig.

[​IMG]

5. Austintone

Austintone Member

Check out Roccaforte's amps- I own a JCM 800 and a Roccaforte Custom 80. The Marshall shakes my house, the Roccaforte makes the foundation move.