1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

JCM 800 bass capacity?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jack, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Jack

Jack Member

I'm a total noob when it comes to Marshall amps. I'm checking out these JCM 800 heads. I understand the earlier ones with vertical inputs are the highest build quality.
    My question is are these heads capable of massive bottom end? I think of them as having a tighter bass, but can you get some ridiculous bottom if you want it?
    I think I'm a Marshall guy, but don't know it. Is there another Marshall model I should be considering? I play mostly distorted rock, but without a bassist ala White Stripes, so I compensate by adding a lot of low end though every possible means.

2. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I'd say they do have a very large bottom end, yes. Of course cabinetes will vary this as well as to how tight it is, but I've always had a LOT of bottom end no matter the cab.

3. Twangzilla

Twangzilla Member

Try a 100W 2203 with KT88s, that should have some low end.

4. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

There's a local Metal Guy, Andy Williams, in Every Time I Die, that uses RI 800's and his tone is huge for a metal player. I played an 800 channel switcher for years that would make hollow stages resonate lie earthquakes when I wanted it to. Great amps for the right gig.

[​IMG]

5. Austintone

Austintone Member

Check out Roccaforte's amps- I own a JCM 800 and a Roccaforte Custom 80. The Marshall shakes my house, the Roccaforte makes the foundation move.