JCM 800 in a Pedal...?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by impactblue, Mar 19, 2008.

1. beni

beni Member

How about Fetto?

Sounds pretty bad ass I think..

2. impactblue

impactblue Member

Just wondering...

Does a Crunchbox sound like the BoR with the gain low?

3. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Hey Bluey - Newysurfer here mate - howa doin ???
    Just go get yourself a Crunchbox. I have one and reckon it's the best distortion pedal ever made, especially for the Marshall JCM800, JCM900 and Plexi tones. I used to own a JCM900 before I got the Mesa so I know how they should sound.
    Check out the recordings on this soundclick site. Peter is a Sth African muso who's been posting excellent mp3's of the crunchbox on this site recently. He's using a crunchbox on most of em.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=761668

The Crunchbox is a high gain distortion pedal. I use it for anything AC/CDish, Floyd, U2ish Tom Petty, Van Halen, Gary Moore, Hoodoo Gurus, Powderfinger, Jet, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Living End etc etc - anything needing mid to heavy distortion. It'll do excellent metal tones too if you combine it with a good EQ pedal like an MXR to scoop the mids. It's made in Oz, is real bypass, small, very low noise, has killer tones & I got mine at Billy Hyde's for $A105. Totally slays all its competition :drool

Just remembered you've got a Fulltone FDII like I do. I sometimes drive the Crunchbox with the FDII (using low to mid gain on both) to get some different distortion flavours. The 2 pedal work very well together.

4. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

The crunchbox IS a good pedal. Haven't had one for a long time though. BUt form what I remember it was pretty bad ass.

5. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

Those were some good clips Waxhead. That's a good demo of the Crunchbox.

6. 4styx

4styx Member

WTH.No mention of the Hot British?!

7. impactblue

impactblue Member

OI!!!! How u doin!!!

Havent been on GTForum..cept once to check out the GT10...wow...Hahaha...!

Yeah Crunchbox is gonna be it! Gonna grab one today at Billy Hydes...hope it kicks some ass!

8. jdandry

jdandry Member

I guess I didn't mean to say the PP800 blows it away...but I had both on my board for a while and I always ended up stepping on the PP800. It seems to be more amp like, smoother, better note separation, more umph and cleans up better. The Crunch Box does sound great! Another thing to think about it the PP800 is way more expensive than the CB and kinda hard to get. I just happened to have the extra funds around when Sean put the 800 on his site. I could easily live with the CB of i hadn't been spoiled by the PP800. Now I am searching for a PP100 for my lower gain needs. As a side note I have a MI Blues Pro on my board that I love! Does a great blues tone. I tend to like it in the fuzz mode with the gain kinda low. The fuzz mode seems to add a little sparkle to the high end. Just my thoughts. Keep in mind that I use the PP800 with a EQ after it and cut the 6.4k almost all the way down, boost a touch of the mids and depending on the room , sometime cut a little of the low end. Cut the highs cause I use a Tele and cut lows cause I play a open back cab with Celestion Blues but sometimes on smaller stages my cab has to be really close to the wall and the low end seems to bounce around and get a little too much...one other thing it's a G&L thinline which adds a good dose of low end breath. For around $130, the Crunch Box is hard to beat. Sean's stuff is really nice but can be expensive.

9. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

mmm Purple Plexi seems interesting... may trade my Burst E for one...

10. Goofball

Goofball Member

Carl Martin Plexitone!

11. Rid

Rid Senior Member

^Ah not really!!