JCM 900 Love

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ancient, Jan 16, 2008.

1. ancient

ancient Member

With the master, bass, mids, and treble set to 10. Presence and reverb around 1/4, gain slightly over 1/2 on the clean channel, and using guitar knob to control volume... I have found this amp sounds pretty damn good (despite all the negative reviews of it out there)

Anyone else out there lovin' their JCM 900?

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I don't think these are TOTALLY bad amps, but they certainly did get a bad reputation for reliability, etc. I am able to easily squeeze out great Marshall tone...gainy, but good tone nonetheless.

So yes, love sent JCM900 way.

EP

3. Adwex

Adwex Member

I have one that hasn't gotten much use lately. Anybody want it?

4. JStizz

JStizz Member

what are the specs? if theyre right i may be all about it.

5. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

Not the greatest of all Marshalls. I always thought (and still do) the weak link in the JCM 900's was the output transformer. Buddy of mine swapped one with a Mercury Mag. Amp sounded much better with no issues since.

6. sf audio

sf audio Member

Bass, mid, and treble to 10? Sounds like a mud/honk/screech sandwich.:eek:

But if it works, so be it. I guess anything below 10 kils the tone?

7. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

I've always loved the 900's, a great cheap head, it's kinda thing u'd buy to take on tour; if you didn't wanna take your prized 1968 Plexi on the road.

8. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I used them on tour in the early 90's and I always thought they sounded great. Just a Strat right into the front of a Dual-Master High Gain 100 watter. I did blow a couple up though but never on the job. They always gave up the goods for me. Haven't played one in years though.

9. jlummaa

jlummaa Member

I had JCM 900 2500 50 W head 10+ years ago. While the basic tone was quite good, it didn't respond very well to guitar volume. I could not get it enough clean when lowering guitar volume, and i was playing Strat.

10. Freedom

Freedom Member

Used to have a JCM900 100W head, the Master Volume model, and the matching 4x12 cab for one year, early '90ies...i loved it...used to have a JCM900 50W 1x12" combo, again the Master Volume model for 8 whole years, middle 90ies till 2002 or so...i loved it...all EQ and presence on 5, set the pre1 and pre2 at taste, a wah, a strat and here we go... :)

For some reason I never liked the sound of the other 2 JCM900 models, Dual Reverb and SL-X though...they just didn't do it for me... ;)

11. gproud5150

gproud5150 Member

I've owned 2 SL-X's, and I loved both of them. The first one was the 5881 version, and the second EL-34. I liked the tone of the EL-34 one better by far, but both were very reliable, and sounded great when you took the time to dial them in. The advantage of the extra gain stage and dual Preamp/dual Master volume setup was you could run your Master's fairly hot and then dial in the perfect amount of preamp without blowing people's heads off (50 watt version on Half Power Mode), and attain great Marshall crunch. God, every time I talk about them I want to get one again.

12. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

I bought a used EL-34 50w Dual Reverb in '94.
    Fast forward to 2008 - it's all I've used, and have been gigging with it regularly since just after 9/11 (2001).

I don't exactly love it, but one great thing is that I don't get all caught up in the OD/Fuzz pedal of the week. Just Guitar -> Wah -> AMP.

13. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

I think they get a bad rap because of the solid state bit going on in the amp. For me its a nice blend of tube and ss. I think they are underated.You can go just amp and guitar..or buy a handwired all tube amp and throw pedals at it..big difference right? :rotflmaoI am not trying to start anything just lokking at it for what it is. I have played better amps than the 900 but I have played much worse for 2-3 times the price also.

14. mrmega

mrmega Member

More times than I can count in the 90's I played the 900's and hated every single one of them. I mean REALLY hated them.

Back about 5 years ago I was looking around on Ebay for an 800 and found a guy who had a JCM-900 100 watt duel Reverb head advertised as pristine & Mint. My wife actually found it and convinced me to get the guy on the phone.

He said he bought it for use in his band, played it for less than 2 minutes, band broke up, stuck it in the closet, turned corporate America and forgot about it (I was really skeptical of this story obviously). The pictures were great, it looked brand new.

At the time Ebay was flooded with 900's and I got it for a super super steal of a deal. I figured I would flip it if I hated it like all the others I had heard.

So he ships it to me, I pull the tubes out of the packing, and they looked to me like they hadn't been played. Comes to find out they were the original tubes, and I was told they were as close to brand new as you could get.

When I plugged it in, the freakin' thing blew me away. It has such a great tone. I believe it to be a freak accident.

It wont do high gain without help, but plays with a lot of dirt pedals nicely.

Strat, Les Paul, 7 String, or whatever I throw at it sounds so nice and musical and warm and can get quite nasty & mean too. The clean sound isn't that bad either. Really good for a Marshall.... but the dirt channel is exquisite.

One of my favorite amps of all time.

I cant explain it, because I haven't heard another 900 I like!!!!

I have a lot of heads and cabs and sometimes when friends or other players come over, they try to buy it from me.

My reply? "No thanks. I will keep it and thank you for the offer".

15. cram

cram Member

I have a dual reverb head. I have found that the main channel is great, but the lead or B channel is thin sounding. I don't know why it sounds like that, but I just never use the lead channel.

I have enjoyed it for sometime though. I play with a strat through it mostly and a humbucker loaded tele. I am happy with the sound, but I am in the market for a 50w or less amp to get the sweetspot a bit lower in the range.

16. rog951

rog951 Member

I'm fixing up a 2100 MkIII head right now so I'll letcha know. I used to have a dual reverb 2x12 combo w/ EL34s and I really didn't think it was as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Sounded pretty decent once you got it cranked up, as long as the pre gain was kept on the lower side.

17. MetalHeadd

MetalHeadd Member

My 2500 mkIII is still my go to head. I think it sounds really warm and fat. I've tried it with lots of different tubes and while they've all sounded different, I've found them all to sound good.

What speakers is everyone using with their 900? I'm using a pair of vintage 30s right now, I like them a lot more with this amp the gt12-75s. What else you got them going through?

18. cpsdawg

cpsdawg Member

i've got a 4500 dual reverb. i agree with rog951. if you crank the master and use pre gain to taste, it is definately not the dog everyone makes it out to be. however if youhave the master at noon and pre same or higher it's the thin ****** sound i remember from these.

19. mrmega

mrmega Member

I normally pair it up with a 1960 straight cab with the gt75s or whatever and it sounds great. Word of caution though, with this cab I have to be very careful how I mic it or the mid hump can get nasal....

However when I am patient and find the sweet spot with the best speaker its just killer....

I also have a 4x12 that is about 7 or 8 years old that I believe was intended for a valvestate head or something. I don't know for sure, cant remember but I think it has 75's in it too..... The cab is the size of a 4x10 but has 12's in it... and believe it or not it just slays.....

I also have a rectifier cab with vintage 30's that sounds good with my 900 but I like the Marshall cabs better with the 900.

Every once in a while I pair it up with 2 custom 4x10 open back cabs with jensons when i am in the mood for something different. I use these cabs with my 5150 too and that combo is just ferocious.

20. cram

cram Member

75's

forgot to mention that I did switch to el34's when I got it. sounds better with that.