JCM 900

icr

I saw that they are re-issuing the JCM 900, so I got out my old 1993 with EL34s and fired it up. I hadn't played it in a long time.
Maybe I got a good one or maybe it is that I don't use it with the master below 11:00. I have always like the sound of it when recording. This is a recent clip:

pbmw

Very nice...

I think JCM900's get a bad rap. That sounds great.
Nice chops too...

icr

So, every five years or so I look at the amp and wonder about mods. Certainly the chassis can be gutted and a plexi turret board can be placed but, I'd just build a plexi on the proper chassis.

One thing I noticed this time is that the effects loop input bypasses the solid-state preamp. The power amp is all tube and pretty close to 'standard' Marshall circuit. So, I placed a Tech-21 into the power amp input for that recording. Also, I again decided to keep the g12t-75 stock speakers. If you see the position of the microphone in the picture. That position (right in the middle of the 2 speakers) really sounds good with those speakers. Much better to my ear than a close mic on a single cone. One really needs headphones and to move the mic around. Just an inch one way or the other dramatically changes the sound.

I almost forgot to mention the PowerBrake. I do 90% of my recording with attneuators. In this case the PowerBrake is a good mate for that amp. I used to run the master full on when I was younger, but now I'm running it just about straight up.

demea26

So, every five years or so I look at the amp and wonder about mods. Certainly the chassis can be gutted and a plexi turret board can be placed but, I'd just build a plexi on the proper chassis.

One thing I noticed this time is that the effects loop input bypasses the solid-state preamp. The power amp is all tube and pretty close to 'standard' Marshall circuit. So, I placed a Tech-21 into the power amp input for that recording. Also, I again decided to keep the g12t-75 stock speakers. If you see the position of the microphone in the picture. That position (right in the middle of the 2 speakers) really sounds good with those speakers. Much better to my ear than a close mic on a single cone. One really needs headphones and to move the mic around. Just an inch one way or the other dramatically changes the sound.

I almost forgot to mention the PowerBrake. I do 90% of my recording with attneuators. In this case the PowerBrake is a good mate for that amp. I used to run the master full on when I was younger, but now I'm running it just about straight up.
Nice. One of my favorite amps of all time is a JCM900 4502 2x12 with V30's. Had JJ EL34's, Drake transformers. It was a good one.
I've had three JCM900's since then and not one copped the vibe that the 4502 could. Stupid GAS. Wish I still had that amp.

Trending Topics