JCM2000 DSL 50 - cab suggestions?

im looking for some advice. Just bought a jcm2000 dsl 50, and am wondering what cab to pair it with. Id like to know what some owners have done, and some suggestions for what sounds best.

Thanks!

Robbgnarly

I use a Krank Rev 4x12 with my DSL100 and it sounds really nice.

I also use a Marshall MF280 cab sometimes and it works great as well ($350 used)

ungarn

Check local craigslist for used Marshall 4x12's...G12T75, Greenback, G12-65, Vintage 30, all sound a little different...but they will all work for a Marshall. I am partial to V30 because I love midrange, and Greenbacks are great to tame some of the volume.

Promit

I didn't like it with V30s, maybe the 1960 with T75s or something with G12H speakers.

harpinon

The DSL's can be really harsh on the top, so I dislike Greenbacks. They also can be a bit weak in the mids, so a V30 cab is a really good one.

I had a cheep Peavey cab with Sheffields in it and I thought it was a fantastic sound.

7000th post. I need to get a life.

im looking for some advice. Just bought a jcm2000 dsl 50, and am wondering what cab to pair it with. Id like to know what some owners have done, and some suggestions for what sounds best.

Thanks!
It all boils down to taste and music style.

I have a DSL and my favorite speaker that I use with that rig is the EV12L.
I also have V30's, not bad at all. Depends on what you want, but very usable.

I have a marshall 1960b 4x12 with g12t75's. I don't like the 75's at all,
But my son who is a drop tune metal head loves that cabinet!

I tried G12h30's, I didn't like them at all, but I could make it work.

I never tried them, but I would bet that creambacks would be a good option.
Good luck!

mesa/kramer

The DSL's can be really harsh on the top, so I dislike Greenbacks. They also can be a bit weak in the mids, so a V30 cab is a really good one.

I had a cheep Peavey cab with Sheffields in it and I thought it was a fantastic sound.

7000th post. I need to get a life.

That above statement makes no sense what so ever.
Yes the JCM 2000's are very bright and will get harsh with the treble and presence above 5.
But The Greenback is just about the smoothest top end speaker made.
They work great in taming that high end.

Though the fact that you think the Shefields sound great pretty much sums it up :nuts

I have a 1936 loaded with Greenbacks that sounds great

moggio

Silver Supporting Member
I run my DSL 50 paired with a StoneAge 2x12C cab, open back, loaded with Weber CV123 speakers. Mainly using the Green channel and pedals.
Sounds good to me.

Thanks for the suggestions. The greenbacks intrigue me, as I'd love to smooth out the top end a bit.

FWIW my main guitar is a 2007 '58 LP. I play mostly classic rock and blues rock/southern rock, so I don't really think I'm trying to re-invent the wheel here!

I appreciate all the suggestions!

mesa/kramer

Thanks for the suggestions. The greenbacks intrigue me, as I'd love to smooth out the top end a bit.

FWIW my main guitar is a 2007 '58 LP. I play mostly classic rock and blues rock/southern rock, so I don't really think I'm trying to re-invent the wheel here!

I appreciate all the suggestions!

I also found that JJ tubes tend to be a bit darker than other brands and that helps too.

But don't be afriad to run the treble and presence much lower than you would on other amps.
I run both on "3" and its sounds great and not harsh.

jpage

I use a Krank Rev 4x12 with my DSL100 and it sounds really nice.

I also use a Marshall MF280 cab sometimes and it works great as well ($350 used)
Just picked one of these Mode Four cabs up last week. Bad ass deal. :aok

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
Pair of creambacks 65s or 65/75 mix in a 2x12, open or closed back.

TaDaMz

No brainer.

Used Marshall 1960.

I got mine used for $350 and its in excellent shape. It has the stock G12T75s and they sound great, not sure why people like to hate on them... I have sense swapped out two of them for G12H30s in an x-pattern, for some extra warmth. Its a perfect match for my DSL.

xxvga

i think you should buy a marshall 1912 1x12. one speaker is all you need and I know where you can get one for $300 or less :)