Jcm800 1x12 speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vintage66, Jan 3, 2008.

1. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I just bought a Jcm800 4010 that has a Vintage 30 installed instead of the original. It's 16ohms-I was thinking the original was probably 8ohms. Is it okay to run at 16ohms as long as the selector is on 16ohm? On a side note, how do you tell if the v30 is made in China-it says Celestions International...Suffolk, England on the back.

One more side note-there aren't any spring retainers for the tubes-it has El34's so maybe the original ones don't fit. Is it suppposed to have them? Any good sources for Marshall parts?

Ps, I haven't had a chance to open 'er up since I brought it home-I'll have to report back-sounded really nice when I tried it out-the cleans were way better than expected and some nice crunch.

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

er, that's what the impedance selector is for.

3. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Cool-I thought so, just making sure. Is the V30 a good choice for this combo-better or worse than the original-probably the G12-65?

4. rastaman

rastaman Member

I prefer a Classic Lead 80 or a G1265 in mine. The V30 might sound OK, I've never tried one in it.

5. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

Hi, I have a vertical input 4010, and it has a Classic Lead 80 in it right now. I have a cab with Vintage 30's and its a close call for me. I might actually prefer the Vintage 30's. Mine are all 16 ohms, the 4010 also has EL34's. No retainers at all.

6. Twangzilla

Twangzilla Member

I had one for awhile with a v30 in it and I thought it was terrible. A CL80 or G1265 would be much better in that amp.

7. bosstone

bosstone Member

It can easily blow up the V30 if you crank it.

8. gizmo

gizmo Member

When I bought my 4010 it also came with a V30. From all that I read on various forums about how bad V30s are I thought I should try others - although the V30 sounded great to me.

After a lot of trial and error I settled on a G12-65 but it was only ever so slightly so better - a little more articulation to my ears - and in the end, probably not worth the time, effort, and $$$ spent on swapping around. Bottom line - trust your own ears.

9. bosstone

bosstone Member

Many of that model Marshall came factory equipped with the G12-65 and it is a great choice for that amp. I had the Marshall model 4104 with two Rola Celestion G12-65 and it was one of the best combo amps I have ever heard. Why did I ever sell it? Why? Why? Why?

10. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

hmm, mine is holding up quite well in the same amp cranked to insane levels. They are rated for 60 watts but I think that is a conservative rating.

Its funny because the V30 does get a lot of flack on some web forums yet the same forums seem to love the speaker it's based on (the blue)

it sounds absolutely great to my ears in my JCM800 4010 combo. A wonderful vintage breakup yet handles a ton of power.

11. bosstone

bosstone Member

I can't argue with success. I do find that Celestions are conservatively rated. The Marshall is rated at 50 watts but if it has the 6550 tubes it is capable of a lot more than that. I have only blown up one speaker in many years of playing but once at the end of a band practice gone bad, in about 1985, I decided to put all the knobs on 10 and pull all the boosts on my Boogie Mark IIC+ 60/100 watter. The EVM that was rated for 200 watts but it only lasted about a minute under full Peter Townsend strum.

12. Squigglefunk

mine is loaded with 6550s but the V30 seems to handle it quite well although I don't everything to 10!!

I tried an EV 12L in the marshall and liked the V30 more.

13. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Good choice. The G12-65 makes V30's sound like mud! They are so much clearer and defined.

14. Squigglefunk

To me the 65 sounds a lot like a 75... and neither sound all that great to me. wierd how people hear things different. I can't imagine any speaker making the V30 sound like mud, it's a very detailed speaker to my ears.

15. bosstone

bosstone Member

I don't think the G12-65 sounds anything like the 75.

Orher speakers to consider that might sound good and have no problem with the power is the Celestion Sidewinder, if you can find one or the Celestion MC90.

16. Twangzilla

Twangzilla Member

If only it actually sounded like the blue. What something is based off of doesn't really matter, just the end result.

17. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

The original speaker in the 4010 was the 15 ohms Rola Celestion G12-65. It's a good speaker for the amp. I put a 150 watts Celestion Sidewinder in mine and I like it a little better than the G12-65. I haven't tried any other speakers in it.

Cheers,

Johan

18. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I really don't believe that, no matter who says it (even Celestion).

I was around when they first came out, and I'm almost certain the ad copy said it was based on the G12H-30 - ie the "vintage 30".

Why else is a 60W (originally 70W) speaker called a 'Vintage 30'? And why does it have an H-type (ie G12H-30) ceramic magnet, not an Alnico which you would expect if it was supposed to be a high-powered Blue? And why does it sound nothing like a Blue, but at least in the same ballpark as an H30 (though not the same)?

None of it makes any sense at all if they were trying to recreate an Alnico Blue (which was at the time totally out of fashion too), but it very much does if they were trying to make an H30 with modern power handling and a darker, more 'vintage' (hence the doped cone) tone.

19. jamison162

jamison162 Member

So you don't like greenbacks? The G12-65 is the closest +25 watt greenback sounding speaker I've owned/tried (65 watts actually, yes we all know that); and I've owned quite a few speakers. Nothing like a 75.

Play a G12-65 for a few weeks (2-3 months) then switch it out for a V30 and I gurantee you will be screaming the same thing. V30's are congested and stiff in the mids and lack definition and clarity. Of course, for high gain applications where you want a stiff cone and power chords to hold together, the V30 is the better speaker. For straight up classic rock and excellent clean tones, the G12-65.

20. Squigglefunk

everyone hears things different I guess. The greenback is a darker, warmer speaker to my ears... I tried the 65, no going back for me... greenbacks don't do it either.

like I said, to me the V30 is plenty detailed and has lots of clarity. All I play is classic rock and such, no high gain for me. It's good that there's a lot of different choices for everyone to get their own tone!