JCM800 + clean...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hazy, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Hazy

Hazy Member

Is there an amp which sounds like a Marshall JCM800 on the drive channel but has good clean sounds as well? I have a 4010 50 watt combo which i love but i need some clean sounds as well...

2. rastaman

rastaman Member

You need to talk to Red Planet - The Tone Constable. He states his JCM 800 has an AWESOME clean. He knows tone, don't even underestimate those vintage ears:D .

3. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

4. Derelict

Derelict Member

5. Jeff Seal

Jeff Seal Member

You could always try getting the 800 ch.sw combo and have it modded...I have one sitting at the shop, and am in the process of getting clips together.....;)

..of course, it's just an option....

..unless I'm mistaken, I believe we have met.... but maybe not!

Jeff Seal

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I'm not all that but I just did Purchase a JCM 800 reissue Head and a Large Bogner 2x12 cab.

I was pleasently suprised by the way it cleans up with a roll of the Guitar Volume.

I run the Amp with the Preamp Gain Dimed and the Master about half. Then just roll the geetar back and Clean Marine.

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Although my wife is not as happy about it as I am. :D

8. Hazy

Hazy Member

That's how I use it at well, but I would still prefer a 2 channel solution. Looking at the prices of the suggestions so far, I'll stay with the JCM800 for a little longer I guess ;) .

@Jeff Seal: I don't think we've met, I'm from Belgium!

9. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

hey red, the way it cleans up?......from what. Mine never really gets dirty. I did just get the fulltone OCD. 30db of gain on tap baby.

10. Jeff Seal

Jeff Seal Member

.....oops, sorry there's another guy that uses the same moniker...

JS

11. AlexF

AlexF Member

Hazy, you have a fabulous combo there, of the dozens of vintage marshalls i have owned over many years, the 4010 is the best and most giggable. Its versatile. Have you tried using the low gain input with a pedal for drive? Its exactly like a vintage 50W marshall that way. This will give you good warm cleans. Just turn up the pre amp to full and use the master as a single volume control. Alternatively, if you're looking for crystal clear cleans, say for delay etc, why not look for a good cheap solid state amp and A/B them. There are lots around that do clean really well. You will be hard pressed to find another amp that does off clean and dirty as well as your combo. Look after it, and dont sell it, you will regret it otherwise.
    Al

12. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Keith if yours never gets dirty you got a problem going there.

Mine is insanely dirty.

13. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Shiva Rockerverb

14. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I really think my 80 watt celestion black backs are way to hard to brake up. I'm eventually going to get either greenbacks or 30 watt speakers. Your 2x12 cab probably brakes up a lot easier.

15. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I'd like to get to the bottom of your troubles dude. Why dont you call me on the Phone?

Thanx

Greg Beasley.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2010
  16. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

Quoted for truth.

I play a Shiva. It's like what I wanted a JCM 800 to sound like. And then the clean actually became my favorite part.

Never played a Rockerverb, but heard one. Great.

The Rivera is a good choice too. A little harder for me to get out of harsh territory, but the Rake sounds really really great.

17. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Thanks guy, I think I will call you maybe tomarow. Just so you will know my set up is JCM800 2203x, 1979 marshall cab with black back celestion T2876 which from what I'm told is an 80 watt speaker. My two guitars are custom shop non reverse firebird with burstbuker 2&3 and les paul st. with classic 57 pluss and 57 in bridge and neck. I own a fulltone but I'm of course trying to tweek the tone of guitar-amp-cab without using pedals.