Jcm800 for 70's rock

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vintage66, Apr 13, 2008.

1. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I have a 4010 combo (1x12) with a vintage 30. It's the 50w. Jcm800 owners, can you get good AC/DC, 70's Kiss, Zep, Bad Company out of yours? Recommend some settings including what pedals and at what volume you have to crank it to get there. Sometimes I can get a good sound with a tubescreamer or Rat II but sometimes I'm not so sure-maybe not warm enough. Mines the vertical output 1983 model so it should be similar to a Jmp as I understand it. I'm using the dirty channel-should I be using the clean?

2. bosstone

bosstone Member

There are two basic versions of JMP amps, the earlier non master volume and later master volume versions. You amp is nearly identical to the later master volume models. 1980-1981 was the time frame when the change was made. Purists make a big distinction but I think that most players have no trouble getting very close to the 70s sounds with their early JCM 800s. Of course, plugging into a 70s Marshall 4 X 12" cab with greenbacks will get you a lot closer to that sound than a single 12" open back combo.

3. silverface

silverface Member

Hi,

a few questions:

As I know, the 4010 is the 50 Watts 1-channel 1x12 jcm800 combo. It's the combo-version of the 2204. You say, yours has got a dirty and a clean channel? It might be not a 4010?

I am sure you meant vertical INPUT not output, right? And yes, the early 80s jcm800s were more close to the jmp master volume amps.

I have an '81 2203 and I would say it's perfect for some AC/DC, Kiss, Bad Co. and other 70s stuff.

Best wishes,

silverface.

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

I have this same amp and can get all those tones from it...

2 slightly different ways:

1. If you don't need a really clean sound, put the Ch Vol at 5, and bring the master up to about 2. Use a crunch box for solos. This will put you squarely into classic rock territory and will still get pretty clean w/the volume knob. High gain input.

2. Turn the master up full, and bring the Ch Vol up to about 2. This will give you a really nice clean tone, w/a TON of headroom. Take a crunch pedal and get your OD tones from that. I use a Rat, set at 10:00, 3:00 and 4:00, L to R. Then, I'll put a solo boost pedal right after the Rat, to bring up solos. Low gain input.

The 4010 is a REALLY great club amp, for classic rock.

Loudboy

5. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I like turning the mids down and the gain up. And I like turning the presence, treble, and bass up. The Rat pedal should help too. A good 4x12 would also help.

6. Renardm

Renardm Member

I sent my SD-1 to get modded by CMATMODS yesterday so I have been using my Crunch Box with my 4010. I play in the house so I have the master very low, the preamp on 5 and I use the Crunch Box like a booster with the gain low and the volume up about 3/4. Sounds great! 70s rock no problem at all.

7. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Yeah, I meant inputs. It's one channel-but two different inputs-one higher gain than the other. Just having trouble getting the sounds in my head to come out of the speaker. The pedals that sound good with my Traynor Ycv40wr sound like doo-doo with the Marshall, and vice-versa.

8. cheesey

cheesey Member

these amps have high and low sensitivity inputs , sounds to me like the speaker is not a good match. They came stock in 82-84 with G12-65W and later CL70 or 80?
    I'd try to get a G12 -65 . You should have no problem getting those rock tones from this amp. It should also sound awesome plugged into a 4x12cab.
    Maybe it needs a tune-up, new output tubes properly biased and pre amp tubes checked.
    is your 4010 converted to EL 34 output tubes or the stock 6550's?
    killer amps!

9. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I have a 4104, 2x12 vesion of your amp. I'll get in line on running a seperate cab for the tones your after. Big difference between using it as a combo vs. running a 2x12 or 4x12 closed back cab. My recipie for classic rock?? All knobs to noon, Telecaster straight in running either a 2x12 or 4x12. Adjust the master down if you must! Thats on the high input. However, i've got exellent results running an OCD into the low input.

10. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

+1 to letting it move some low end air with more speakers. even a 1x12 extension cab will help a lot.

11. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Mine has EL34's. Might be worth a look into an original type speaker or as some suggested, an extension cab, but I hate to put money into it if it's not gonna fit my style, but everyone seems to think it will so maybe I'll try a tuneup first-my tubes are vibrating so I need to have that checked anyway.

12. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Thats another issue that is kindof solved by running an ext. cab. Tube and amp rattle isn't as much a problem with the amp seperated from the speaker cab. Maybe see if you can borrow or try out a cab. Are you near southern Wisconsin? I've got a few 4x12 cabs you could try out. Just another note, if you need low volumes, a dirt box into the low input is fatter and warmer. The best I found for that was an OCD. The high input needs to be pretty loud to sound great IMO.

13. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Thanks but I'm in Georgia. Maybe I'll have to try an Ocd again-I was thinking it might be too similar to my Direct Drive but some say it isn't. I'll have to keep playing with different od's and settings.