JCM800 in a box for my BF Bassman?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by themusicboxstudios, Oct 5, 2006.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

Looking for a JCM800 type rhythm tone for my les paul + bf bassman (through greenbacks).

Any ideas?

I'm thinking MI Audio Tube Zone.

thanks, jon

2. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Believe it or not, but i used to get great results from a Reverend Drivetrain II for that very sound. Keep gain and treble quite low, level and bass quite high. Hugely under-rated pedal - wish I still had one! Gave one to a friend who absolutely loves it.

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

I've got a MI Tubezone, and would probably sell it to you, but I don't think it's all that "Marshall-y". What about his Crunchbox? Isn't that one more in the JCM camp?

I play Les Pauls through an Allen Old Flame head, so that's not a far cry from your setup. I'd say a Barber Direct Drive is closer to the kind of sound you're going for. Also, I set my amp up so it's mildly crunchy for live playing and have had good results with a TC Jauernig Gristle King (one of the better TS variants, IME) for getting that bright-yet-fat kind of crunch. I think I know what you're going for...

4. themusicboxstudios

thanks guys! i should add ... i'm usually running the amp clean to a slight break up.

5. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

MI audio crunchbox. You are going to get about ten other post with this pedal in the bunch. Most people on this board, including myself, agree it is very marshall pedal and very good with cleans amps too. It also cleans up well if you need it. Lot's of gain. The MI audio tube zone is more of a mesa smoother sound. Both well get great crunch and gain, but if jcm800 is what you want, definitely the crunchbox is it.

6. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Solely based on sound clips into a princeton, with no personal experience, I would say the crunchbox would be a highly likely suspect to fill this bill.

7. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

8. fetuspetus

fetuspetus Member

hgave you seen the zvex box of rock?

ben

9. bullet69

bullet69 Member

keeley ds1 ultra? i have never owned one but i have heard it described as a marshall in a box.

10. gooma

gooma Member

1+ here for the crunch box,

You can get simular tones out of the tube zone but for JCM 800 type distortion the CB is the best i`ve tried here.

To me the TZ is slightly smoother sounding and has more low end on tap, it`s also a very versatile pedal and can cover a lot of ground.

I`ve tried the CB into my plexi set clean and set for slight breakup, it sounds great running it either way.
    I`ve got a 1986 bass plexi so it should sound very simular into your bassman.
    It`s so damn cheap that IMO you cant go wrong:AOK

11. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

12. themusicboxstudios

thanks for all the responses guys!

and as far as the bjf ... i LOVE bjf pedals ... but the DRD fell short for me, i don't think it really does the jcm800 thing.

but i do want another EGDM and PGC!

13. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Ah yes...the almighty EGDM.

My PGC should arrive within the next few days!!!

14. themusicboxstudios

let me know if you decide you don't want it! (but i hope you love it!)

:dude

15. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Crunch box is exactly what you want. It turns a clean Fender amp into a Marshall stack. I'd try it first before anything else mentioned here. Tons of gain on tap and the tone is pretty amazing. I own the first version. I can't vouch for the 2nd version of the pedal but according to some people the tone is slightly different. I won't be modding mine anytime soon because it already sounds amazing.

The pedal is a bit noisy. I have to use a noise gate with it but it's still the best hot rodded Marshall type "distortion" pedal i've ever used.

16. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

+1 for the Crunch Box!

17. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

18. drolling

drolling Member

Yes- I use mine w/a '63 Vibroverb and it does that one thing so well I haven't touched the controls since I plugged it in last winter - I've got an old one too, and there's NO WAY I'd tamper with the guts of that pedal.. My *mod* was a piece of black electric tape over the volume knob so I don't accidentally nudge it & kill somebody!!

19. el34power

el34power Member

yeah yeah the crunch box. I use it with my JCM800's low input to replace the gain stage of the high input to be able to put a clean boost afterwards to have headroom for leads. I'm doing the Tube zone thing right now...either/or you can't lose. I can dial in a close Crunch box with the tube zone but it is more expensive.

20. 6789

6789 Member

Does the Crunch Box give that buzzy, fizzy overdrive like a JCM800 with the preamp turned up all the way? I like that Buzzy fizz.