JCM800 needs OD & Boost retaining my tone so...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by keano, Jan 3, 2007.

1. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I replaced my jcm800 with a fargen olde 800. I have the same scenario as you describe. I set it for a touch of gain. I use a bumbox bust for the clean boost tones, solos, etc. The times I want the amps sound, but louder.

I use a jekyll and hyde for my distortion tones. It's nice, but does color the sound. I am after a pedal that will give me the almost mesa saturation, but less tonal coloration than the jeykll and hyde.

I did not like my crunch box into an overdriven amp.

2. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

I prefer the OCD into my 2204, does not color the tone , tightens up the bottom and adds some teeth.

3. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I have a 4104 combo, which is a 2204, running a 4x12 greenback cab. Tried...... TS-9, Timmy, BB preamp, OD-1, SD-1, DS-1, MXR micro amp, Zoom PD-01, EQ,s, comps and a few I forget. Fave's?? Timmy and SD-1. The Timmy was cool using the low input as a clean-semi dirt and stomping for heavier grind. The SD-1 is good for all applications. Seems boss just nailed it for these amps with the SD-1. That said, the best straight up rythym tones come with no boost at all for me. I guess it depends, when I'm practicing alone I like boosts and such but with the band straight in sounds great with a stomper for leads. These amps just ain't right unless your volume is neck and neck with a hard hitting drummer and the rest of the band. Believe it or not the Zoom is a close 3'rd for me. Not as a boost on the low input but as a lead boost on the high. It can be set up as a straight clean boost but with bass and treble control. Very under-rated pedal. Funny but I sold the timmy even though it sounded great. The sound in a live setting didn't justify keeping a $200.00+ pedal when a stock SD-1 did the job. What I didn't like about the BB, on the low input, it left some clean signal along with the dirt. Just sounded funky. So i'm done now, Timmy, SD-1 stock, Zoom PD-01, although the Zoom left that clean signal too, it sounds great on the high input.

4. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

The Keeley SD-1 with 4559 chip is a bit more neutral, balanced and straightforward sounding than the E. The E is a tad brighter, musical and lush sounding with a sort of subtle singing compression to it. Hope that helps.

5. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

Ok. I just saw that TC Electronic has reissued their old pedals (I'm not talking about the rehoused T-Rex thingies). I can only advise you to try their booster/dist. I have an old one and if the reissue is true to the original, it's the absolute best booster for a 2203. Amazing. You'll know right away when you'll plug the thing in the high input... [​IMG]

6. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

Easy. Digitech Bad Monkey. I love mine with my 2203. Tightens it right up and it's only 40 bucks. Try one from MF and send it back if you don't like it before you drop a bunch of money on more expensive pedals.

7. keano

keano Member

Tried the Bad monkey didn't like it at all.

8. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

Did you try it as a clean boost?

9. hbentley

hbentley Member

yeah, the monkey definitely sounds best through my 800 with the gain set really low

10. keano

keano Member

Got a Timmy on order. Going to try a power screamer, and Barber DD. I like crunchy rather then smooth. Doug Roccaforte recommended a Carb boost

11. Elliott Damage

Elliott Damage Member

Barber DD will NOT work. Sounds good through a Fender amp and is smoother than crunchier. I'd get a Super Chile Picosso or something like that.

12. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

Keano, did you try the OCD? And if you did, what do you think? That's one I've been wondering about for my 2203s.

13. keano

keano Member

Hi Rex I have it got it last week. It is nice but it darkens the amp a bit. Low end is kind of exagerrated. I do like to though just would like it tighter, less low end.

14. johnny q

johnny q Member

Thats a pretty bold statement dont you think?? Barber DD works just fine for this application. Whats a Chile Picosso, does it give you gas if you eat too much??

15. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

The OCD sounds great with my 2203. If I want to tighter the amp up I'll use the Bad Monkey, but other than that the OCD is my favorite OD with the 2203.