JCM800 out of my JTM45?? Pedal suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mkl13, Jul 7, 2006.

1. mkl13

mkl13 Member

Any pedal suggestions for getting hotrodded JCM800 type sounds from my Rocky Top JTM 45 clone?? Our band is doing a few 80's metal/hair band covers. I was thinking of a Keeley modded boss DS-1. What else should I look at. I curretly have a couple treble boosters, a Keeley TS9, and a Nick Greer Royal Fromage but no real rock pedals.

2. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

MI Audio Crunch Box. Sounds awesome with my JTM 45.

3. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Soulbender can get you there to an extent, but I am hoping that my coming Emma Razzafratizitissizistisstzzz is going to get me there chordwise.
    M.
    E.

4. that_brianm_guy

that_brianm_guy Gold Supporting Member

original Marshall Guv'nor will get you there - maybe the Drivemaster and Shredmaster as well.

OTOH, those Boss pedals you mentioned were typically run into JCMs during the 80s - don't know that they'd be "enough" to get you where you wanna go.

RAT, maybe?

5. what?

what? Member

hermida grinder, very tricky to tweak, but once you get it it's very2 nice

6. gulliver

gulliver Member

I don't know, I have a Voodoo modded JCM800 2205 and a couple of Keeley DS-1s I modded myself. I don't think they sound anything like what was done in the '80s ... thank Christ. The best pedal I have for '80s tone is an MXR Dime with the Dime switch off. Used through a high gain amp, it provides a ton of upper-mid boosted high gain lead tones that stinks of the '80's ... okay, in a good way. A cheap, true bypass pedal, much like the Boss Metal Zone, but more amp like. Good luck.

7. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I've used a Barber DDSS, but the newest DD should do, Recently the price of DDSS's are down, so it won't hurt bad to try one.

8. mkl13

mkl13 Member

How would a fulltone distortion pro do?

9. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

bjf DRD, BB pre, TIM, OCD, Crunch Box (but comparative smaller frequency spectrum) THEN for more over the top add or boost-type pedal or an EQ to the chain - george lynch TMB, or super hardon, or FMD, or pablo sagrado, OR bjf SBEQ, or even a Mxr or boss eq through the TIM's FX loop!

10. Broken

Broken Member

Try a modded DS-1

11. mkl13

mkl13 Member

Well I decided to not take anyones opinions and ordered a Kaden Effects Brown Creeper. From what I read on TGP it is a good EVH style Marshall sound. I may try a few others if this pedal doesn't work out. I am interesed in the confiliting opinions on the DS-1? How do you think it would sound through the JTM??

12. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

Hermida Mosferatu...thread over!

13. gulliver

gulliver Member

It's a great pedal, but I think it's best suited for putting in front of an already distorted lead channel. It's not what I consider a "Marshall in a box pedal" as they say. H&K Tube Factor is a great pedal for using with an amp that doesn't have a distortion channel, as it kind of is it's own distortion channel.

14. drolling

drolling Member

Good for you! I've not read much about Kaden and look forward to reading your thoughts after you've gigged it.

I had an MIJ DS-1 and was never happy w/it. I think the poster who mentioned that it works best w/an amp that's already distorted was probably right.

My other guitarist's been thru' at least three DS-1s - both modded and stock. Every time he changed amps, he'd give the DS-1 another try, but we were never happy w/the sound.

The MI Audio CrunchBox has come up once or twice in this thread - Can't say how it'd react to your amp, but thru' my old Fendeblackfaces, it's EVH-in-a-box; hi-gain-stupid-fun-for-a-lo-dollah price.,

15. gulliver

gulliver Member

The voicing on a stock DS-1 is actually nice for certain things, but the distortion is a bit lame by today's standards ... at least until Mr. Keeley saves them. :cool:

16. moodog

moodog Member

17. Impulse 101

Impulse 101 Member

MI Audio Crunch Box!!!

The OCD would be my second choice but I'm using my CB with both my Fender and my Dual Recto for Marshall style tones.

JT

18. Tapp

Tapp Member

I definitely recommend Monte Allums rectifier mod for the DS-1. It takes it to a new level! Mine was really buzzy before and now it's on my board.

Tapp

19. el34power

el34power Member

Let us know how it sounds but.. I will +10 the crunch box. The new Barber DD is also amazing.

20. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

BJF Dyna Red Distortion, Fulltone OCD (v.2), Blackstone Mosfet, Crunchbox (v.2)