JCM800 players....Whats a good drive and solo boost combo ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by riffpowers, Jul 8, 2008.

1. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Love my JCM800 but could do with fattening it up with a little bit more dirt, but I still want to be able to hit a boost pedal for a solo boost too.
    I'm running a dimarzio super distortion loaded Les Paul into it.
    Off the shelf pedals only please!!

Any suggestions???!!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  2. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

How about a Route 66? Use the OD for the gain boost and then hit the comp for the solo boost. One pedal and it gets great reviews.

3. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I was hoping for something a bit more wallet friendly!!

4. heavydutysg135

heavydutysg135 Supporting Member

The Boss SD-1 is a great "off-the-shelf" choice as is an Ibanez TS-9 or 808

5. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I have a ts9, maybe I should try an sd1

6. n.j.

n.j. Member

This is neither off the shelf nor wallet friendly, but the best boost/od/solo pedal I've found with my 2204 is the ProAnalog Dirt Royale w/ Cheeze. Absolutely incredible with 800s, nothing else compares. Usually about $200 used here, impossible to find elsewhere.

Otherwise, the HBE Powerscreamer works well (but different) for less $.

For even less cash, any good Tubescreamer will get you part way to the Powerscreamer, but alas, nothing will get you to the Dirt Royale.

7. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

try a bad monkey, or one of those new dano cool cat overdrives.

Overdrives are subjective (just like all tone). Just get out there and try a few popular boxes

dk

8. heavydutysg135

heavydutysg135 Supporting Member

The SD-1 sounds similar to a TS9, but tends to sound a little more aggressive. Zakk Wylde used to use an SD-1 to boost his otherwise stock JCM 800's; now he has a signiture MXR pedal.

9. Melj

Melj Member

How about the CAE boost that came out recently, made by Dunlop in combination with CAE?

10. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I thought about that, but there seems to be a lot of new cae and dunlop stuff on ebay, I wondered if that meant people didn't rate it....

11. rob2001

rob2001 Member

For boosting the high input they all sound pretty similar. In a gig situation it's pretty tough to tell the difference between a stock SD-1 and a $300.00 "flavor of the week" pedal.

If you want a dirt pedal to run on the low input, the differences are more apparent. I'd say maybe try a Bad Monkey or an SD-1 and call it a done deal. You'll end up doing what I did.... spend way too much money and time searching for the magical pedal that doesn't exist! It doesn't get much better than a TS or SD-1 with these amps.

12. pgissi

pgissi Member

Dude you need a Rat

The JCM800 and a Rat have a reserved place in music history since this combination was found on many stages from say 82 to 90 and was/is a great tone. Sure a vintage Rat would be nice but even the new Rat, the Rat2 will do. The voicing of the rat complements a Marshall Master Volume amp.

I cant tell you how many gigs I did in the late 80's where other players gear was the JCM800 and the Rat and they had great tone so much so I ultimately relented and did the same.

Someone mentioned driving the low sens input, why?

Do you want suck tone?

The low input will make you feel like you cant play and is designed for high level hi impedance outputs from a synth or other line level device not guitar pups, not even active ones, dont bother with this.

But by all means use the low sens input as an out to bridge into another amps high sens input.

The Rat is what $100 or less, maybe $90 and if you find yourself in a cork sniffing mood you can find plenty of info here to mod it but I can tell you the new ones are fine, I use it to drive my marshalls.

Distortion between 9 & 10
    Filter between 1:00 and 2:00
    Volume about 1:00

For starters anyway

13. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

often wondered what a rat was like....

14. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Statements like this are why these amps get labled as on trick ponies. I assure you i've recorded some mighty fine clean tones with a Tele straight into the low input. Some of the fattest rock tones i've got from my 800 was an OCD into the low input. I don't always run in the low but it's most definitly an option. It's one thing to say you don't care for the low input but to say it's wrong and "not to bother with it" is foolish. Or are your suggestions and settings everyones holy grail? Sounds like you got a Rat because everyone else had one!

15. dearmrdear

dearmrdear Member

16. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Here's my setup with my 800 and JMP Marshalls for (1.) rythem and (2.) lead boost
    1. Boss OD-2 Turbo od, turbo set at "Off", output (dimed) tone (dimed) drive (at 12 O'clock)
    2. Boss SD-1 w/ Keeley mod, output (dimed) tone (dimed) drive (at 8 or 9 O'clock)
    I don't run both pedals on at once, that would sound like frying bacon!:rotflmao

17. SFK

SFK Member

I've always thought the TS 9 was the perfect companion to the 800.

18. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Like the more wallet friendly one by BBE or an LPB-1 or similar. Then if you like the sound you can look into the more expensive true bypass better tone treble boosters. Or if you like the sound alot just play the BBE.

19. pgissi

pgissi Member

Oooh hurt my feelings "sounds like you got a Rat because everyone else had one!"

No I bought one because everyone else had good tone!

...and they were not using the low sens input

Somethings are just that easy, JCM800+Rat

But your correct, I should have clarified "in my world its wrong to use the low sens input", have tried all of those tricks and using it is a compromise IMO but you can derive some clean tones by using the Low Sens input but once you plug in, your coupling your signal at reduced gain and these amps are not known for their cleans so why bother.

The other "one trick" using the high sens input that this pony does is a damn fine one and the Rat makes it scream.

Scuse me for having strong opinions

20. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

That's a sure bet. The Maxon OD-9 and 808 are great too. They also will add a little dirt along with a boost.

My Sd-1 I have set just to tighten things up with a very slight boost. With my JCM 800.

Level: 12:00 or just under
    Tone: 12:00
    Drive: 8:00

A Rat or Bad Monkey will work too. I like the Maxon OD-9 best though.