JCM800 plus Treble Booster?

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, but you will likely need to change your approach to how you set up the amp. You'll likely want to use less gain, A LOT less treble and presence and all the bass.

Just as others are saying, a JCM800 is already bright and has plenty of gain. But it's versatile enough to EQ it to fit the pedal if you want that particular sound.

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
yes, i know, i have one.
my point is, dial in your gain structure first, then the tone controls, to match what the treble booster is changing or adding.

and my treble booster never sounds like a cocked wah.
(Naga Viper)

Absolutely right about dialing in the JCM800 EQ and gain to fit the treble booster and not the other way around.

A Naga Viper is not a traditional treble booster. The range knob on the Naga Viper allows the user to dial in the desired frequency to boost. A stock Range Master circuit without an EQ control does have a slightly cocked wah-ish type sound to it due to the mid frequencies it boosts.

Jakeboy

Plus the Naga is Si and not Ge…I liked mine for its versatility and man it could get so so close to sounding like ge…..but not all the way there so I back to ge TBs FTW for me.

With my rangemaster clone, the cocked wah tonality doesn’t really make itself apparent until my guitar volume knob is about 85% of the way up, and it comes on rapidly from there til you max it. Very useful if you like to keep your volume lower for rhythm work and dial it up for solos, where all that midrange honk just cuts through like a knife into hot butter.

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
My JCM800 is pretty bright to begin with, but I occasionally play the Beano Boost side of my Analogman Sun Lion through it. As long as I'm playing a humbucker-equipped guitar it isn't too piercing, but it's not really a sound I go for all the time.

I think Klon-type pedals sound great with an 800 though, as it can get a little brighter but with greater emphasis on the upper mids. My ARC Effects Klone sounds amazing with my JCM800 and my SG. Really killer combo, IMO.

IggyZiggyLou

Platinum Supporting Member
yes, i know, i have one.
my point is, dial in your gain structure first, then the tone controls, to match what the treble booster is changing or adding.

and my treble booster never sounds like a cocked wah.
(Naga Viper)
I see what you're saying. I neglected to mention in my original post I was thinking of a lead tone (the dangers of posting from my phone). I have my amp dialed in gain around 7, treble at 3, mids 5, bass 5, presence 3; and it sounds amazing. I was looking for a unique lead tone with the stomp of my foot.

batsbrew

gotcha!
i got rid of the naga viper,
and got a Fulltone Fatboost III to replace it....

that really works for me,
maybe it's something you could put on the list to try.

i use it for the lead boost.

works well as an "always on" pedal as well. roll the vol down on the guitar, you've got lots in reserve for live play.

if i want a volume boost, i just roll the guitar back up.
the fatboost keeps the clarity of the rolled down rhythm sound, and it has bass and treble controls as well.

CJReaper

I use a Naga Viper and a Diamond Marquis GE treble booster with my JCM800 2204. No issue with it being too bright at all, no worse than an OD boosting the amp. I think they both sound killer with my amp, instant 70s Judas Priest tone.

npappas

when i'm boosting my JCM i'm trying to do the opposite of add more treble usually. At half gain the sound is pretty round and i don't think the treble is very present but once you push it into higher gain it gets pretty bright for some reason...those treble frequencies just saturate on their own.

Could be good on the middle pickup position for like Sabbath'y stuff though.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom