• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

JCM800 users..........

Hacksaw

Time Warped
Platinum Supporting Member
My amp is modded, The Scumback h75/M75 fits my amp (and me) perfectly.

I've tried.

h75
m75
h55
Scumnicos
tone tubbies hemps
h30's
V30's
Greenbaacks
Seventy/80's
Governes
man-o-wars

And a few others I am not remembering. I have mixed and matched almost every speaker in the list as well.

troublehead

Here is my problem..........I have a Mojo Diagonal 2x12 loaded with a pair of Weber 1225's. I'm using a Fargen Olde 800. I'm having trouble with fizz and the low end falling apart and getting mushy. This is even at low/moderate volumes.

I'm starting to wonder if it is the nature of the cab..........very much oversized for a 2x12 configuration. Or if I need to try some different speakers.

mmorse

I have a 2204 and have used:
h75
m75
h55
Scumnicos
G12-65s
h30's
V30's
Greenbacks

Settled on Scumnicos but still go to the G12-65 once in a while.

michael patrick

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a 1960TV that's almost 20 years old. The greenbacks that are in there are stock, and are very well broken in (to say the least...). My '86 2204 loves that cab.

I also like the sound of matching the 2204 with a Trutone 2x12 loaded with 65-watt Scumback H75s.

griley

I use a 1937 with a mix of g12-65 and g12t-75 for my 2205.

I know the g12t-75 isn't very highly regarded around here but I find it mixes really well with the g12-65.

Scumback Speakers

Here is my problem..........I have a Mojo Diagonal 2x12 loaded with a pair of Weber 1225's. I'm using a Fargen Olde 800. I'm having trouble with fizz and the low end falling apart and getting mushy. This is even at low/moderate volumes.

I'm starting to wonder if it is the nature of the cab..........very much oversized for a 2x12 configuration. Or if I need to try some different speakers.
You have two issues. One is the O/S cab, which promotes more bass response, typically. The other problem is the open back. You can have an O/S cab if it's closed back with M style 1225 speakers, but with the open back AND the extra size it creates too much air for the M's to work with properly. They just can't stay tight with that much air behind them.

I'd suggest the following.

1) Get a closed back panel for your cab.
2) Move to at least one H style (G12H/H75) speaker to tighten up the low end with your cab if you keep the open back.
3) As Rik has pointed out an M75/H75 mix works well with this, but two 1225's in an open back will get hit too hard by your amp's EQ to ever be as tight as you probably need it.

As you can imagine, I've done this testing and had my clients confirm it with their rigs, so these suggestions are based on working solutions. Good luck!

troublehead

You have two issues. One is the O/S cab, which promotes more bass response, typically. The other problem is the open back. You can have an O/S cab if it's closed back with M style 1225 speakers, but with the open back AND the extra size it creates too much air for the M's to work with properly. They just can't stay tight with that much air behind them.

I'd suggest the following.

1) Get a closed back panel for your cab.
2) Move to at least one H style (G12H/H75) speaker to tighten up the low end with your cab if you keep the open back.
3) As Rik has pointed out an M75/H75 mix works well with this, but two 1225's in an open back will get hit too hard by your amp's EQ to ever be as tight as you probably need it.

As you can imagine, I've done this testing and had my clients confirm it with their rigs, so these suggestions are based on working solutions. Good luck!
Thanks for the info..........but my cab is already closed back and I still have the problem.

Scumback Speakers

Thanks for the info..........but my cab is already closed back and I still have the problem.
Oh, I thought it was an open back. Sorry! At this point you just have to move to a heavy magnet (H75/G12H) speaker type to tighten up the bass response. You could probably do much better with one, but the ultimate would be two H style speakers.

I've got a Mojotone O/S Bluesbreaker type cab, and two H75's were good with a darker amp, but it really got depth and big lows when used with an H55/H75 mix (most recently on an Egnater Rebel 20 amp).

It will depend on other factors such as guitar/pickups, fx, style of music, etc, of course.

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
....move to a heavy magnet (H75/G12H) speaker type to tighten up the bass response. You could probably do much better with one, but the ultimate would be two H style speakers.
This might help tighten up the bass response, but a G12H is very bright and will only accentuate the "Fizz" problem he's having.

I would suggest tying some Celestion Classic Lead 80's or Vintage 30's (althought the Vintage 30 has a strong upper mid peak, it does have it's highs rolled off quite a bit)

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
This might help tighten up the bass response, but a G12H is very bright and will only accentuate the "Fizz" problem he's having.

I would suggest tying some Celestion Classic Lead 80's or Vintage 30's (althought the Vintage 30 has a strong upper mid peak, it does have it's highs rolled off quite a bit)
I also have an OS sealed cab, I'm using CL-80s ... yes they will provide a huge solid base in that cab, but they are very mid scooped with a definite presence. I'm getting away from them as they seem too rich at high volumes IMHO (but great for lower volume playing).

mesanatic

How about a G12H30 and a V30. Good compliment.
Or get two WGS ET65's.

I use my EVH 5153 cab(Heritage Greenbacks), AX cab(Greenbacks), or JCM 800 cab(G1265's). Also pair one with my Recto 2x12 sometimes.
They all work, depends on my mood, but the G1265's have a nice round high end. So no fizz.

Trending Topics