JCM800 versus Silver Jubilee

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
How would you describe these 2 Marshall’s? How are they different? How are they similar? Fill me in on how they compare to each other...

Edit: Actually looking at the
SC20H Studio Classic and the
2525H Mini Silver Jubilee. ;)

Last edited:

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
I've only compared the full size heads and not the studio versions... With that said...

The EQ on the Jubilee is much more sensitive. Small adjustments can make a big difference, which is very unlike the JCM800. Jubilee has tons more low end, has more distortion, can be dialed in with a chewy midrange, etc...

The Jubilee can be tweaked to sound similar to the JCM800, but not the other way around.

sickboy79

I've only compared the full size heads and not the studio versions... With that said...

The EQ on the Jubilee is much more sensitive. Small adjustments can make a big difference, which is very unlike the JCM800. Jubilee has tons more low end, has more distortion, can be dialed in with a chewy midrange, etc...

The Jubilee can be tweaked to sound similar to the JCM800, but not the other way around.
This is spot on. (I have a 79 JMP era 2204 and 50w smallpox 2553 Jubilee FWIW)

It's my understanding that the 2204/2203 was the basis for it but, they did a lot more with it.

rjpilot

Soo many amps. Soo little money. I want them all. Is the JCM slash a silver jubilee variant? A drummer I used to play with had one and let me gig with it. Awesome sound. Made me feel like I could play, which of course I can’t. I thought it sounded heavenly.

Have both. ('87 2555 & 2554 and several JMP 2203/2204 heads) Can't go wrong with either of them, it's just a matter of preferences and/or practical issues. By the way, the Silver Jubilees were the "officially hot-rodded" 800s.

Something that many overlook and do not realize is that the Silver Jubilees actually have one of the (if not "the") greatest clean channels ever in a Marshall.

Regarding their EQ: I don't remember who said it or wrote it, but it went something like that: The 800's EQ are like "gentle and polite suggestions" to the amp, whereas the Jubilee's EQ are like " cracking whiplash commands". :rotflmao

goddot

Soo many amps. Soo little money. I want them all. Is the JCM slash a silver jubilee variant? A drummer I used to play with had one and let me gig with it. Awesome sound. Made me feel like I could play, which of course I can’t. I thought it sounded heavenly.
Its not a variant... its the same thing... they used black/gold cosmetics and a lot of the left over stock from the late 80's jubilee run. I have parts in my 2555SL that are dated 1988

BluesBUSTER

Silver Supporting Member
The JCM Slash model was the same thing as the Silver Jubilee. They continued selling the Jubilee in 1988 dressed in the traditional Marshall black tolex with the 2550 and 2555 model numbers. The silver tolex was only for the 1987 year model.

prsjcm

I own a Silver Jubilee reissue and a 1982 JCM800 2204. For me, the Jube is everything I've ever wanted my 2204 to be. It can get 800 tones no problem. But obviously, it does so much more. That said, my 800 is a angry beast and I love it.

zekmoe

Gold Supporting Member
I have the mini Jube and love it. I have the studio vintage on order. The 20 watt 800 just isn’t close enough to the real thing like the other 2 imho. It’s a fine amp but doesn’t have the sound of a good 800.

Jelle

Had a 2203 in the past and recently bought a 2555x because I found one cheap.

The Silver Jubilee is awesome, it totally and unexpectedly killed my GAS for a higher end hot-rodded Marshall.

Hefalump

more on the crunch channel?
Sorry not much sleep last night so I am not understanding your ?question.

I say it was wise to go with the SJ over an 800 because the SJ is an 800 on the clean channel, plus you have the od channel as a bonus.

ken374

Sorry not much sleep last night so I am not understanding your ?question.

I say it was wise to go with the SJ over an 800 because the SJ is an 800 on the clean channel, plus you have the od channel as a bonus.
man you should hear the cleans pushed with my solodallas pedal pushing it! nice and thick loud and dynamic

Trending Topics