jcm900'''hurry

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hexum68, Feb 20, 2006.

1. hexum68

hexum68 Member

there is a jcm900 for sale and i am thinkin of buying it..what do u think,, i allready have a 2000 that i hate it and as wonderng if the 900 high gain is better..for metal rock???? the 2000 has roo much muddy mids and canny. 700$ for the 900......

2. m4tt

m4tt Member

900's are great when you drive them with something... like a keeley ds-1

i say try before you buy...

3. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I had a 900 4500 50w for a few years,
    I really tried hard to like it, used it for alot of shows actually.
    I dont know if someone prior to me has modded it or repaired it with the wrong parts but mine was really quite bad.
    I sold it on ebay.
    I use a plexi these days and really love it, I dont even have to try:BEER
    Definitely try before you but, if you only half like it... dont buy it just because it looks cool.

4. 98FlySupreme

98FlySupreme Member

I owned a JCM 900 2x12 combo 50w for a good 5 or 6 years. The diode clipping isn't really my thing. In my opinion, the amp was able to produce some surprisingly good clean tone for a Marshall high gain amp. I prefer the sound of the lead channel to say, a Mesa triple rec, but again I'm just not into that thing anymore. So if you're indeed playing heavy rock, I think it's a solid choice. By the way, they are really loud.

Oh, and I think anything that says "Marshall" on it is incredibly overpriced right now on the used market. I paid around $700 for mine new. There is probably something better to be had in that price range for the music you are trying to play.

5. shoe

shoe Member

The only amp I hated more than my JCM 2000 DSL (50 watt) was my JCM 900 4100 (100 watt dual reverb). Officially the worst amp I ever owned. I purchased it without playing it when I was 15, thinking that since all the stars I admired played Marshalls, I would sound awesome if I played through one two.......stupid, stupid stupid!

Try before you buy.....

6. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

I had a 900 that I put in a set of THD Yellow Jackets in. It sounded great for classic rock through 80's lead tones.
    If your after a current Metal type tone, I'd say that this is not the amp. It has that 80's- 90's tone. There are allot of amps out that provide a newer tone for about that price.
    Good luck
    Gregory

7. SFW

SFW Member

The JCM 900 gets a really bad rap that is uncalled for. After owning a 4100 for seven years, and gigging heavily with it, I personally feel that it is a great amp. I used it in my cover band. Put a graphic EQ in the loop and a TS9 in front. With the graphic EQ, I was able to go from classic Marshall tones to more modern rock tones with the EQ engaged. The TS9 was used for a gain boost during solos. The 900s sit very well in a band mix, and can cut through the muck very well. Keep the treble at noon are below and the master volume at “4” or above and they sound very good. The key to these amps is that you have to have the power up and breathing for them to sound their best. I like the 900s a lot more than the 2000 series. And I have owned a DSL 100 and a TSL 60. YMMV.

8. johnmfer

johnmfer Supporting Member

One of my bands does a lot of one-off shows around the country, playing often through rented gear. In the last year, three rentals were JCM900s. Twice I couldn't get a servicable tone at all, it sounded terrible no matter what knob I turned. One time it sounded absolutely superb and made me seriously think about buying one for a while. So to echo the others, try before you buy.

9. Mayflower

Mayflower Silver Supporting Member

900 Clean channel good.
    2nd channel not good IMO.
    I prefer the tones from the 2000 over the 900.
    If you have a nice pedal board for the clean channel and the price is too good to pass, buy it!
    Interesting story: My JCM900 rode on the tongue of my trailer in the rain for about 5 miles once till my light came on. Stopped, there it was! Wiped it off, no problems! Damn I am hard on amps!:jo

10. shoe

shoe Member

Interesting.....the only way I was able to get a useable tone out of my JCM 900 model 4100 (High Gain 100 watt Dual reverb) was to use a Boss EQ pedal in the loop.....it was the only way to atenuate the inherent "suck" that amp had loads of! :D

FYI - I would up trading that amp for a 2x12 Peavey Classic 50.....one of the best deals I ever made! Loved that Peavey for a good long while until I stumbled into boutique's ville.

11. Mayflower

Mayflower Silver Supporting Member

12. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Is it an SLX or DR?
    $700 seems a bit high for a DR, for the price there are a lot of option that you might like better for that tone.

13. joseph

joseph Member

I had a JCM 900 model 4100 (High Gain 100 watt Dual reverb) 2-12 combo with el34s. The clean channel was 'lifeless', dull. The gain channel was good IF you could really open up the volume (VERY loud), but even then, the sound I got was like the sounds on the big 80s Bryan Adams hits:
    "Summer of 69", ie heavy midrange sound.
    And it had to be loud...otherwise it sounded like a so so tube screamer at bedroom volume, no dynamics.

14. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i used to have a 50w jcm 900 the 4500 i think it was.....like good and bad strats but they are all fender,my marshall was unrealy smokin and it had the standard russian 5881's in it and i put EH's in the pre....what an awsome amp......i had to sell it to fund another marshall purchase thinking the new head would be 2wice as good and realised i just sold my 2wice as good head................FWIW i own or have owned tons of marshall amps for a reference.

15. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

I didnt like mine. Not enough drive. One of marshalls worst amps- quite a few problems with it. Plenty loud though. I guess it depends on what your looking for.-Ig

16. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

Certainly not a metal amp though. If you can suck it up, an original 5150 would do you justice. :dude

17. hexum68

hexum68 Member

its the mark 3 2100 jcm.....yhats all i know...thanks or the input i am gonna try it out thurs..

18. hexum68

hexum68 Member

i did try out the rivera knucklehead tre...its amazing but so frickin loud...i live in NYC and 100 watts will get me evicted...anyone else try the knuckle?

19. Filter428

Filter428 Member

For about the same amount of money you're looking to spend on the JCM 900 you'd be better off hunting down a nice '77 thru '81 50 watt MV JMP. There are many out there in decent shape. You just gotta do a little digging. These are great, reliable player's amps.