JD Simo - Mind Control

twoheadedboy

I've been familiar with Simo's work in the past, but he sort of lost me with during his loud psychedelic hard rock phase. I randomly came across some tunes from his newest record, Mind Control, and I am back in.

Definitely channeling Junior Kimbrough on some of this stuff. Love it. I wish more blues sounded like this.

Last edited:

Tidbit

Yeah..he came to town and was selling this as his new cd.
The concert was great with his new band / bassist (as always) but it took me a few days before I popped the CD in.
It was instantly one of my favorites by him by 30 seconds in to it.

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
I like that a lot, nasty and sexy. Why bother with pesky chord or key changes?!

Phil M

Shapeshifting Member
Silver Supporting Member
I saw him live in early October (along with GA-20). I remember hearing of JD Simo on this forum years ago and also seeing some amp demos he did for George Metropolous. He looks like a whole different person now and I love the little fuzz guitar blast he posts on IG since quarantine.

I don’t have the CD yet but have heard it and it’s good.

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
Saw him a couple months back. He was great live and I bought the cd from him immediately after the set. He must get super adrenalized during a set because he was shaking like crazy when I met him, working the merch table

6C41B408-6A03-4333-93FC-72D270BEDBB1.jpeg

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
I wonder what guitars, amps & effects he used on Mind Control - any info?

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
Listening to the new new direction now. Man, that guy has a crazy work ethic and and seems to just pursue his own muse regardless.

BadAssBill

Fan since his Don Kelly days. I have a shirt, saw him twice when he came threw town. I think he's the kind of guitarist that could do pretty much anything he wanted on guitar. His chickin pickin is mindblowing in every way. I'm not sure this is my favorite of his music...but I may not be the target for this kind of "Black Keys" kind of music. Power on JD!

twoheadedboy

I wonder what guitars, amps & effects he used on Mind Control - any info?

Here's a recent rig rundown:

I have watched some recent live videos of him on YouTube. He appears to be playing through an Ampeg Gemini combo and/or a silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb in most of them.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom