Jeckyll & Hyde users?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mooncusser, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

HI all,

I just wanted to ask if theres anyone out there that uses a Visual Sound Jeckyll & Hyde as their primary OD/ Dist. unit.
    Whats the concensus ?
    Thanks,
    Mass

2. radcliff

radcliff Member

I used one exclusively for 2 years, had the silver and the red.

I liked the Red alot better, thought it was less noisy, had a TON of extra volume, and sounded refined.

It was my be all end all overdrive until I found the TGP.....then it became an expensive journey, I'm glad I did it.

3. dingdongbell070

dingdongbell070 Member

[​IMG]

the lead guitarist from hillsongs united...

4. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Thanks for the responses guys!

Radcliff- when you said that it became your end all OD, until you found the GP-an expensive journey and you were glad you did it, what do you mean?
    Are you glad you found the GP because it granted you access to better OD's, and why so glad about the expensive journey?
    I'm just trying to learn a bit here so bear with me..lol.
    Do you still use the J&H?
    I have a J&H and it really isn't a bad sounding pedal. I use it with my fuzzes alot and they seen to mesh well, but after reading on and on at the Gear Page, I question if my tone could improve with a better OD.
    I know it's all speculative to the individual, but an artist weather a boxer, painter or guitarist is always trying to improve thier craft.
    Take care and thank you for your help,
    Mass

5. radcliff

radcliff Member

In the J&H, there were things I didn't like about it.

I wanted a tubescreamer without the mids, and I wanted a heavy gain without the low end bleed and over responsive tone knobs of the Hyde. The pedal was hard to use live due to the amount of volume in the pedal. I could never find the balance I wanted, and the mids of the J side were too much for me.

So in the FUlldrive 2 with flat mids, I found what I was looking for in light overdrive without the nasty mids. And in the Zendrive, I found the higher gain I wanted. Keep in mind that for me, high gain, is not really high gain, its just "higher" than my previous gain stage. Both combined give me any high gain I desire.

I thought the Jekyll was it, but I'm glad I've found pedals that do what they do, but without the small things I didn't like.

I think the J side is best with the gain very low, and pushing an amp hard, it does a great SRV tone. I think the H side does best with Radiohead type rock from The Bends, kind of out of control and big.

6. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

The same things you point out are the issues for me as well.
    But, for the right player I could see where the pedal would be the end all answer, as it does have alot potential for a certain type of music and it's plus is it doesn't sound tinny.
    I want high gain as well, but not metalish gain.
    there is such a massive difference.
    Take care, Mass

7. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I has a red Jekyll n Hyde on and off for a couple of years.
    I love the Hyde channel by itself, Its Gary Moorish and worked really well with all amps I ran it through.
    I used the Jekyll channel stacked with a Boss OD-3
    most of the time for leads but come to think of it the Hyde would have been more appropriate and less hastle:Spank
    Dang ... I want one again... damn G.A.S!!:nono

8. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Gas...tell me about it.
    I have the pedal you want, and I am trying to trade it for an OCD, or a bb booster. I think this GAS thing is like a puppy chasing it's tail.
    I was just playing the HYDE side of the J&H tonight, and it sounded pretty good.
    I'll tell ya, alot of people sell and trade pedals here. I wish there was a way there could be a Pedals and everything else Lending Forum, because that would probably be the dominant forum.
    Players could agree to lend pedals between eachother, to try them out, with a contingency to purchase/trade or return the pedal after an alotted time.
    Can you imagine........................:drool
    I think one of the biggest problems with the GAS is that it is not so easy to obtain, and try out all of these effects.
    Take care,
    Mass

9. seanc

seanc Member

i used to use it a long time ago. i found the crunch box and the honey bee and then put it in the cupboard. great pedal though, i really enjoyed it.

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

First off, maybe for the same reasons as radcliff, but in my world the "more refined" red one wasn't my favorite....I REALLY like the silver one over the red. I have both, and I use both, but the silver has been on my pedalboard for a few years now.

It can be a difficult pedal in some ways. The left (Jekyll?) side...the one that is a TS-like sound, on the silver one I think it just has that certain extra something that makes it shine, BUT it doesn't cut through quite as good as I hoped in the mix...or it can but you have to tweak it.

For home use, it is fantastic. I also have used in my band and I really tried to give it up and use some other pedals, but kept coming back to it. I think it is a pedal that is really worth owning, even if you later move on to other pedals, it is a great...to me unique, sounding pedal.

While it is pretty easy to get both sides to sound excellent alone, it is a lot harder to get all four levels/tones to be right (off, left side on, right side on, left and right side on) and when I first started using it, it might be I wanted a little extra in a solo, and turned both on...and even though each side boosted in relation to clean signal, together they were (perceived anyway) quieter than clean even!

But it takes time to learn and get the most out of this pedal.
    You can (I have) set the Dist side to be very light...almost a boost, or you can set it med. or high, and using the EQ knob...even after owning it for years I was startled to find playing around with the EQ at extreme settings, my Peavey, and my Fender sounding like a Marshall amp! But in a band setting it might be hard to cut through, unless you really boost the volume.

IF I were you, (even though I like the silver...I haven't tried the red one much in band practice, it might cut through better) I'd pick up a used one silver OR red, play with it, and if you like it a lot...buy the other version maye...keep the one you like best.

They are excellent pedals, and if you are turned off by the size, remember, they take up less space than two boss sized pedals, AND only take up one cable on your power supply for two "boxes"!!

But that also can be a drawback...as some people like to mix and match. I personally would love to have only the left side, as the TS clone side to my ears sounds WAY better than the most of them I have tried. The Dist side is fun, but I mostly play blues now, and it is a little less useful. I use mine as med. gain.

11. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

I used a red J&H for a few months for home practice but didn't get to use it live. I find that the red Hyde side was a bit lacking in the volume department. The Jekyll side had much more volume on tap. I wasn't a fan of the TS type sound so the Jekyll side just sounded so-so to me. The other problem I had was that when you turned both channels on, the character of the overdrive was always that of the Jekyll side which was a bit annoying (at least to me).
    I must say that the EQ knob was useful and you could coax many different distortion tones out of the Hyde side.