Jeep Wrangler models... Sport, X, Rubicon, Sahara??? (car shopping)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by FenderBigot, Jan 3, 2018.

1. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I'm thinking of buying a used Jeep for my son and I to share.

I've been looking for a couple months and notice there are quite a few models. I can't really tell what's what in these packages. I'm not worried about power this or that, I just want a decent and fun car to have for a second car.

Any of you guys out there Jeep aficionados? Tell me if an X or Sport is an OK Wrangler. It's been a very long time since I bought a used car.

2. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Like you said they are packages some are suspension upgrades and larger tires etc. some have better interior and cosmetic stuff.

The Rubicon is upper end and the sport and x are smaller upgrades.

It depends on the year as to exactly what the package was or is.

3. FenderBigot

2010 Sport. I don't car about power windows, it's a jeep! LOL

4. Glass Onion

I dont know particulars myself. I bought a 2004 Wrangler unlimited new off the lott and have driven it as my main car since. I love mine.

You will need to google what package the sport included for that year.

I say if frills dont matter it should be fine as long as it isnt wrecked or anything extreme.

Boris Bubbanov and FenderBigot like this.
  5. Glass Onion

There is a Wrangler forum that is full of
    Good guys and knowledge but be warned it is the same as here. Everyone has a favorite And there are a lot of “experts”.

FenderBigot likes this.
  6. FenderBigot

I will hunt that down and do some research... Most likely buying one tomorrow.

Glass Onion likes this.
  7. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Having had a 2007 and now a 2017, I’d say get the pentastar v6 if you can. Way more power and satisfying to drive.
    Otherwise they’re all baically the same outside of the options. Rubicon which is what I have has some off road options that actually work very well if you intend to play with it. Also there’s no better ride in snow, 4wd with good tires is crazy controlled.

Roark and FenderBigot like this.
  8. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

The Rubicon is more biased for off roading. It has a 4:10 differential. The reduction gear in the 4x4 low mode is 4:1 instead of 2:1. It will have locking diff's front and rear and an internal sway bar disconnect for the front suspension. It's for rock crawling. I think the rest of the models have the same guts but different trim.

I'm curious about the new Ford Bronco when it comes out.

Nivs, Penguinchit and FenderBigot like this.
  9. sanrico

sanrico Member

Save your pennies, because Jeeps are expensive to own and maintain.

Mike Duncan, JPB2 and FenderBigot like this.
  10. Brett's Les Paul

Brett's Les Paul Member

I have had an 84 CJ7, 2001 Sport, a 2003 X and a Sahara. I haven't driven the latest versions. All of the TJ series are about the same with different levels of trim and power. I would definitely get a 4.0 six cylinder if you are looking at these models as the four banger is just weak, especially with larger tires. They don't get great mileage, suck at passing power, on the interstate you are topped out around 70mph unless it's really cold outside or you have a tailwind. The top flaps and makes it nearly impossible to hear on your cell phone as well. That said, I love my Jeep and if you dig jeeps, you understand and put up with the limitations. On the positive side, it will go anywhere, has a tight turn radius which makes it a great city driver. Small footprint and high maneuverability and you can park nearly anywhere. It sits high so visibility is great. If you share it with your son, stress to him that he always wear a seatbelt as the top will not contain you in a rollover and always be aware of the high center of gravity and tendency to flip under maneuvers it wasn't designed for. My current is the 2003 with a 4.0 and five speed. I used it as a daily driver for years and have always been happy with it. My son wants it now, but can't quite get the manual transmission down. I still drive it and am glad to have it. Beach days with the top down are especially cool.

FenderBigot likes this.
  11. Brett's Les Paul

Brett's Les Paul Member

I've never known this to be the case. Easy to work on and availability of parts is really good. The only repair I've ever done to my 2003 is a blower motor resistor replacement. It's got about 70k on it now and runs like a champ. I've had three others and the only thing I've ever had go wrong was an oil leak on the 2001. Sure you have to replace brake pads, oil changes and the like, but Wranglers have been pretty reliable at least for me. Some of the other Jeep models are a vastly different story, though. Not saying you're wrong at all, but I haven't had any trouble.

12. Brett's Les Paul

Brett's Les Paul Member

We'll all miss you while you are busy at the Wrangler Forum. I'm so sorry to do this to a friend, but you must check out Quadratec if you are buying a jeep. All manner of goodies for your Jeep there. I think it's worse than guitar forum GAS.

Glass Onion and FenderBigot like this.
  13. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

Quote from Enzo Ferrari; "Jeep is the only real American sports car".
    The newer ones are so much nicer than the old one I had, but they're all fun.

QuickDraw and FenderBigot like this.
  14. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Compared to the AMG Mercedes I originally wanted, it was less than half the price, so it seems like a bargain. My 2007 didn’t need much until 107k where a convergence of shocks, struts, tires and one actual repair seemed like a lot. Take away the shocks and wheels and it wasn’t too bad.

FenderBigot likes this.
  15. sanrico

sanrico Member

I built them for a while and found the "Just Empty Every Pocket" mantra to be true, at least for off-roaders. The last I helped build was a 2013 Rubicon beast. The earliest was a 1980 CJ. My favorites were the older Cherokees with the I6 engine, nicknamed the "bulletproof." Other than those, I have found every other model to be extremely unreliable.

[​IMG]

FenderBigot likes this.
  16. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

OP, are you looking new or used?

If the former, I'd wait until they drop the diesel engine into it.

If the latter, the 4.0 i6 is a dead nuts reliable engine and I would start there. One thing to know about Jeep reliability is a lot of the failures are due to crap wiring, so avoiding Jeeps with lots of electronic accessories is the key to sanity. My Cherokee has manual windows, locks, no cruise, etc. and based on the number of failures I am aware of for others, this has saved me many headaches.

If you're going used Wrangler, the D35 rear axle is known for being weak and up-sizing tires can really stress it. Look for a D44 or Chrysler 8.25 rear axle if you plan on a lift and larger tires.

On a Wrangler especially, a lift will likely require a drive line rebuild (transfer case at the minimum) due to the drive line angles changing too radically. 2 door is worse for this than 4 door. Also you'll likely need to tweak the steering geometry with a new track bar at the minimum, and likely new tie rod, TRE's

If you are looking to offroad, the least hassle solution is a used Rubicon model. Comes with upgraded axles, beefer suspension, larger tires, etc.

They can still be costly to maintain, but man they are fun. You'll love it. It's a way of life!

Good luck.

Boris Bubbanov and FenderBigot like this.
  17. Brett's Les Paul

Brett's Les Paul Member

Thanks for the laugh. I had never heard the just emtpy every pocket line before. Looks like you do a lot of off roading, so our experiences are a bit different. While I will take my jeep out in the woods around here, I keep it out of the mud and water and it's mostly a city street driver. Soft sand is about all the four wheeling I get into. A lot of folks around here are serious mudders and they break their vehicles every weekend. If I had an old 1979 Ford F-150 I'd probably get muddy, too. My Jeep was my only vehicle for many years besides my Harley, so I guess I babied it a bit. Cool CJ, BTW.

sanrico and FenderBigot like this.
  18. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

Think it would be hard to find a used Jeep that wasn't modified.
    That's half the fun, and there are a gazillion things to add/change

In a nutshell
    Sport - Base mode, stripped really, not even Air Conditioning
    Sport S - AC, and some minor stuff
    Sahara - More luxury features, larger wheels, probably the best as on On-Road commuter
    Rubicon - Best of hard core off road. Already has the heavy duty axles on the front.

Those are the main 4, then there have been a lot of other "Willies" , "Freedsom", "Altitude"

Many get the Sport, then make it their own. Rubicon is much more expensive
    Used could get more confusing as there are a bazillion things that could have been modified.
    Lift kits, locking diffs .... so prices will vary out the ying yang

BenoA likes this.
  19. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I had a new '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the diesel engine. That thing was in the shop multiple times during the year I had it. I finally couldn't take it, and traded it in for a Ford F150 FX4. It was the first year for the diesel but the check engine light was always on. The shop would have it for a week and by the time I would drive it home the light would be back on.

20. BenoA

BenoA Member

I own a 2013 JKU Sahara and no joke, it's been the most reliable car I have ever own. But once you jump into modifications, it's like TGP and it's pretty easy to burn your hard earned money into various parts! And also, get ready to pay for gas!

voodoosound and rickc007 like this.