1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Jeep Wrangler models... Sport, X, Rubicon, Sahara??? (car shopping)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by FenderBigot, Jan 3, 2018.

1. sanrico

sanrico Member

I always say this in every Jeep thread, but your year of Cherokee is THE one to own. Best year. Reliable as the sunrise, powerful and capable and cheap to mod. And they look super cool with a mild lift. I would say my favorite 4x4 of all time is that generation of Cherokee. It will climb anything, and keep your gear warm and dry. And you drive home in comfort. I used to show up to 4x4 meets with my Cherokee and the guys with monster Rubicons would look down their noses at it...until they saw it climb. It's a billygoat with automatic transmission! Solid front axle and the bulletproof engine. Air conditioning, power windows, back hatch for gear. And you can buy them really cheaply nowadays.

What's not to like? It's too bad they discontinued them because they are getting older every year and finding a clean one is getting more difficult.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

I've never heard this quote before, but I've referred to my 2 door rubicon as "the worlds slowest sports car" before.

Glass Onion likes this.
  3. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

I definitely like mine :) Still on stock springs, but will likely go UpCountry rear springs to even out the weight from my tire carrier bumper. Perhaps a lunchbox locker in the rear as well, for extra climb. 235/75/15 tires.

I've only added minimal stuff, steering box brace, front and rear tow hitches (huge improvement in ride, oddly) and the bumper. Runs great and I've taken it down some fun trails.

sanrico likes this.
  4. juniorlespaul

juniorlespaul Member

2017 Wrangler Unlimited Sport.........Need to add step bumpers, but a really fun auto.
    Crap mileage: 16-20 mpg, good power, lots of modern updates to break down. Recommended. The jeep packages are harder to understand than the many iterations of the Gibson Les Paul.

BenoA and FenderBigot like this.
  5. sanrico

sanrico Member

Ooo...have we talked about the lunchbox locker before? I can't remember. I loved mine. Inexpensive and quite easy to install. Huge improvement. The only problem is you can hear it on certain turns on pavement.

I love the tire carrier bumpers. Absolutely worth the price of admission. And they look cool.

6. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

I don't think so re: lunchbox lockers. I am thinking Powertrax No Slip as it's supposed to be quieter than the standard type. With my non oversized tires it shouldn't stress things too much either.

Bumper carrier, found this used on Craigslist. Braced to heck and back, I think could lift the Jeep off the ground with it. Plus the extra weight on the back helps in the snow in 2WD.

sanrico likes this.
  7. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I'm torn. I love the old, straight six. Just a strong, easy to look after motor.

But this is 2018. Reliability of all vehicles has been steadily improving and even FIAT knows they have to offer serious reliability these days. I need a narrow wheelbase ride, because the trails are so tight up in the mountains, but the O.P. doesn't want or need that. Lots of cars/trucks in FL just sit under carports or in garages; one from 2014 or newer with air, is what I'd shoot for.

FenderBigot likes this.
  8. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

We have an '08 Wrangler Unlimited X .... the basic model for that year ... only thing fancy is the sound system,

everything else is manual except for the transmission

which is fine by us

very reliable

Getting work done at a dealer can be expensive .... their years under Daimler Benz seems to have given their maintenance costs a European flavor ...

:banana

FenderBigot likes this.
  9. Brett's Les Paul

Brett's Les Paul Member

I always said I was on Jeep standard time, which is another way of saying slow. Definitely not your ride if you’re in a hurry. Pedal to the floor or not, you’re not getting anywhere fast.

QuickDraw likes this.
  10. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

I've owned 3 jeeps in my life. An cj5 I kept for 3 years, a 93 wrangler I kept for 10 years with 148k miles. I bought it new for $13,500 out the door and sold it for 6500. The only thing I ever had to do to it was replace the battery 1 time. And tires 1 time. And hoses 1 time. My current Jeep is a 2009 unlimited 4 door wrangler. Believe it or not. Up until 2 years ago. It was still valued in wholesale bluebook what I paid for it and I bought it new. It had almost $8k in rebates. Now it says it's worth a little over 17,800 I've only had to replace battery last year and tires. The last 2 jeeps have been daily drivers. They have been the most reliable and fun vehicles I have ever owned. I've owned Porsche 912s, a 911, a few bmws, a 67 chevelle, a 61 microbus, a 65 very notchback with a built 3 liter,
    Tahoes, a Ferrari mondial ( a mega piece of junk). For those that don't know fiat owns Ferrari as well as Chrysler, dodge, Ferrari being my only Italian car and knowing fiats reputation is enough for me to say I'll never buy another new one unless someone buys out fiat.

Jeeps are IME and wallet the Best Buy out there. With that said I wouldn't buy a new Jeep made by fiat. I am lucky to own the 2nd to last year when they were owned by Mercedes. The quality difference is substantial. I have the Mercedes 6 speed manual which is built like a tank. Really, if you buy a Jeep why would you buy anything else but a manual. If you want auto buy a car to mall crawl in.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    BenoA likes this.