• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Jeeze, another train wreck of a gig

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I'm in a couple of cover bands and an original sort of kind of country thing. Had our first show with the sort of kind of country thing and it was a complete disaster. We recorded the last rehearsal and sent out the recordings to everybody as those were the arrangements we were going to use. Three out of six of us actually listened to them. It was like the drummer and bass player had never played with us before.

We played 10 songs and they wrecked every one of them. Verses and choruses at the wrong time, completely missed temp changes, totally wrong notes from the bass, the drummer started three songs at about half their correct tempo. We had some cool endings worked out where the other guitar player and I would do our slick ending licks and they just kept on playing like we had another verse and chorus to do.

One of my cover bands is super tight. I started a thread about nobody can play rock and roll about my other cover band. This band I thought had a chance as we'd rehearsed, the leader has a bunch of CDs out, so the songs are there to listen to. It was like these guys had never been on a stage before.

I'm sure by the end of page 1 this will be all my fault, but dang I'm sick of people showing up for gigs unprepared.

clay_finley

Some people have no work ethic. Sorry it went bad. It's usually very obvious too. Sounds like time for a new bass and drummer.

Heinz57Pep

That blows. A leader with a bunch of CDs out deserves better and/or shouldn't settle for less.

conanb

The players that let everybody down should be fired immediately or given a final warning. Unless you live somewhere where it's impossible to find replacements there is no point wasting your time with guys who won't put the work in. Some people seem to think being a musician is a way of avoiding work. Those people should not get any work.

swiveltung

"It was like the drummer and bass player had never played with us before.
We played 10 songs and they wrecked every one of them. Verses and choruses at the wrong time, completely missed temp changes, totally wrong notes from the bass, the drummer started three songs at about half their correct tempo. We had some cool endings worked out where the other guitar player and I would do our slick ending licks and they just kept on playing like we had another verse and chorus to do. "

Yeah... so what.. they are drummer and bassist aren't they? haha... just kidding, but I FEEL your pain for sure...... My experience is those two guys will NEVER get it ........no matter how much you try to improve it.
I love it when you count off a song and the drummer comes right in at whatever tempo he wants anyway.

R2112

Yep...different give-a-crap levels is a huge reason for tension within a band. Everyone should be at a similar place with respect to how detail-oriented you are as a band. Otherwise it's going to be a drag for someone -- either they are too sloppy for you, or you the rest of you are too hung up on perfection for them. In my experience, this always ends with one or the other quitting the band. You ought to deal with this in a time/manner that you control, rather than wait for them to quit at what is likely to be the most inconvenient time for the rest of you.

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
Why doesn't this surprise me? Just blows me away when people want to be in a band, but cannot be bothered to spend even so much as one hour of their time per week, even just listening to the material that the band plays. Sorry for you, OP. Yes, I can definitely relate.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Everyone in a band puts up with the crap that comes with dealing with other people, but the real test is when stage lights come on (or the red light if you're recording). It's one thing to blow off your homework before a practice. Showing up to a gig unprepared is unacceptable.

Last edited:

sleshnyc

Silver Supporting Member
didn't rehearsal give you a clue? Was everything perfect and then they blew up? otherwise, sending tapes out as a substitute for rehearsing is a no no in my book.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
What is the leader's view of the rhythm section?

Is he buddies with these guys or was HE pissed too?

The OP is not in the position to "Fire" the rhythm section.

So what does the leader think?

Trending Topics