Jeff Bakos amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hemlock, Jan 6, 2006.

1. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Most of you guys around Atlanta probably know Jeff. I understand that he's now producing his own 45 watt Marshall clones. A buddy who is a true tone hound tried one for a bit and was really impressed. Anyone else tried one out? My buddy said Jeff is making the heads small enough to fit into an airline overhead luggage compartment- cool idea!

2. rastaman

rastaman Member

I would love to hear one. I don't know Jeff personally but I've always heard from reliable sources that he knows his ****. A guy at Mesa told me Jeff was one of, if not the best in the business.

3. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Bakos has done some work for me a time or two. I had heard he was doing some amps now havent seen one yet. I'll have to check em out. Does anyone know if he has a website? Last time I tried to find him on the Web I got a dead end.

For those that dont know in the Atlanta there is some fresh meat out there now too. Jeff Andrews just last year went full time working on Amps and has done a number of jobs for me to my satisfaction. He is also very reasonable on pricing and has a very good turnaround time. His building a 20 watter that was designed to replicate the sound of a Super Lead at liveable volumes. It is Fixed Bias and is rather stout. SS Rectifier in a Closed Back Combo Cab that kicks major but. It is definately in the running for my next GAS attack.

Like to hear that Germino Club 45 also. So many Amps so little Money. :dude

4. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

Either one of these guys build an amp for the guy in Delta Moon?

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I dont know. I dont think so unless its new (those these Amps are new). Mark Johnson was using a Balls M-18 as far as I know but I dont keep up with them or anything. This info is just from reading Tonequest. I just own one of his old amps -- piece of crap. :D I've got his second 03 Balls M-18. His first one was stolen and he got it back so I got this one. Though the current issue mentions Johnson as having a preferance of the Dr. Z's without Reverb so I gather he's been playin these too. Hell for all I know he could have 497 of the greatest Amps ever made. Though IMHO 496 of them were Marshalls.

:horse

He could very well have one of the Bakos Amps though. Since he and David Wilson seem to be close and David seems to be close with Bakos. He might be trying out a Prototype and it is a free country. I got to meet David Wilson when I picked up the Balls. I picked it up at his house. Very nice guy. Hooked me up with some back issues after my Wife had let my subscription run out for the second time.
    :Devil

I've been hooked on those TQ's for a while now. While I was there I went ahead and paid for a Two Year Subscription. David is a consumate Gear Freak like the rest of us though he feels the Obligation to quest further and venture into uncharted territory (he does have pages to fill).

6. hemlock

hemlock Guest

I haven't seen Delta Moon in a while but it would have to be awfully new if Jeff built it.

Fun facts- the artist who did the cover of DM's Going Down South as well as the guy in the overalls are good friends of mine. Really, really interesting people!

7. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

Scott, the drummer for DM also plays with my band, (Fat City Wildcats) and had mentioned to me that Mark was using a Bakos amp. Jeff's a great guy. He's also the go to guy for recording.

We've got real talent here in town. Richard Goodsell is another local builder gathering national attention.

8. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

Mark Johnson from Delta Moon does have the Bakos amp. He told me it is really great and he is using for louder bigger room or outside gigs. If Mark says it is a great amp I'll take his word as he's had just about every amp made and is really a tone hound.

9. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

Ok, makes sense then, Delta Moon headlined our Gainesville (FL) blues festival last November and forum member bbarnard told me Mark was using a custom made amp from a guy in Atlanta. I didn't get a chance to talk to Mark myself but he sounded great. This was an outdoor gig and I looked at the amp but couldn't make out what it was (I had trouble keeping my eyes off Kristin;) ). It was a smallish head and he had an attenuator on top and a pedalboad that included a Klon and a Fulldrive II if I'm not mistaken. Bill said the amp was based very closely on a Marshall JTM45. When I saw DM in Jax a couple of years ago Mark used a /13 and sounded great then too. Great slide player and great live band - go see 'em - I'll bet you buy a CD while you're there.

Hey stephenT, I'll defintely check out your band. You've got a killer drummer for sure. Do y'all play any gigs down this way?

10. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Tony,
    Yes that was a Bakos that Mark was using when he was here in G'ville in November. I heard it close up and have talked to Mark about it. He loves it and it sounds super.

11. slide man

slide man Member

Mark is good friend of mine, he is on the constant tone search like the rest of us.
    He and Jeff Bakos have been working on this amp for several months. Mark is doing the field work and then Jeff tweaks the circuit. I have had the amp for a few days here and there, and have been able to A/B it with my 69 50 watt Park. Surprisingly it sounded a little richer and overall better, not by a lot. But that is actually saying alot because Park is set up with Mullard xf2, and carfully selected Old Stock preamp tubes. While the Bakos is set up with current production tubes. The tone shaping capabilitys are better than your typical vintage Marshall. I kind of think of it as a high cholesterol Marshall.
    Delta Moon will be playing at Blind Willies tonight, I am pretty sure Mark will be playing his Balls, or the Bakos. He has been rotating them some lately, Both are great amps.

Slide Man

12. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

Scott's great. A wonderfully "scale-able" drummer. He plays every sunday night with us at Northside Tavern and all the other gigs he can do, usually during the week or when DM is not playing.

We're at Darwin's in Marietta tonight with the world famous Donnie Mac on chicken coup and voice plus Andy Tomco on kit. We don't travel much but let us know when the weather warms up and which club plays for rooms close to the beach!

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Cant wait to see em. Though I'm kinda Amp poor at the Moment. :BOUNCE

14. bailnout

bailnout Member

Jeff IS the ****!!! He just gave my Jubilee (in the emporium) a full retube and it has never sounded better in the 17 years I've owned it. Makes it real hard for me to sell it now.

Thanks a lot Jeff!!! :)

I haven't heard is new 45 watter but I'm sure it sounds fantastic.

15. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

Interesting indeed. Jeff's shop is just down the road from me. Any idea how much these amps will go for?

16. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I got an email from Mark (of Delta Moon) yesterday and asked him about the cost. He deferred to Jeff and gave me his phone number suggesting that I should call if interested. I don't like to post people's phone numbers on the web but would be happy to provide to anyone interested in purchasing one of Jeff's amps. PM me if interested.

Mark also said he'd been playing a Balls 2x12 at smaller venues and the Bakos at larger/outdoor venues. When they played here in Nov it was outdoors.

17. bailnout

bailnout Member

I was just at Jeff's shop yesterday and asked him that very question. He's making so few of them I don't think he really has a set price. He said they would start at around $2000.00. I don't know what he means by "start" but it probably means that if you want him to make a bunch of changes to his design to your liking, he'll probably have to bill for his extra time. But like I said, not sure. He may have also been eluding to that as the price now, but if he gets a lot of orders, he may have to bump that price up just out of the law of supply and demand. He's only one guy building them buy hand.

I think someone on this thread was looking for a website for Jeff. He also told me that he doesn't really feel the need for a website at this point because he's only looking to make about 12 of these to start out and see how they are received. He will probably have no problem getting rid of them by word of mouth so a website might be more headache for him than it's worth at this time.

So if you want to get one of these at the "about $2000" price tag, you probably want to be one of the first 12 or very soon after.

He's supposed to call me when he gets his next one finished so I can go over there and check it out. If I do, I'll post my $.02 here.

18. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

Cool. Keep us posted. Price tag is a little steep for me, but ya never know.