Jeff Beck historians...Marshall SupaFuzz during Truth?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BMF Effects, Jun 19, 2009.

1. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

Sorry to bring this up again but I've been obsessed with this tone since I can remember and I want to capture it. Web lore has it the setup was a Les Paul into a SupaFuzz into Marshalls. I spent the last couple of days building a SupaFuzz inlcuding mojo certified OC75's but the build sounds nothing like the tone on Truth. Jeff Beck reference clip -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U85Eeh1_hcc

Check out this '67 on YouTube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VnwDqK0QFc

That's the closest I've heard one coming to the Beck tone, the rest sound like Tone Benders to me. If anyone has insight or info I would be most appreciative, thanks.

2. Curly

Curly Member

it's a GREAT tone to be obsessed with :)

I also plan to build one ... I mean, it's only a few component value changes from a stock Tonebender ...

anyway, I suppose Wingwalker will have something to say about this ... he's said the JB used a Suppa, I just can't say when

3. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Is anyone builidng a readily available Marshall SupaFuzz recreation currently?

4. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I have no idea what was really used on Truth and likely never will but I have always heard it was a Supa...also live pictures from the Truth era almost always show a Supa on the floor with a Vox wah.

Like has been said here a Supa and a MK II are not that different really but the small changes seem to make a big sonic difference.

As for a current Supa JMI is doing a limited edition of 100 in their fuzz box reissues that include the MK I and MK II as well as several others...I have one on order but it will likely be several more weeks before I get it.

5. BMF Effects

Very true.

Did all that. The resistor in question is a 10K in the SupaFuzz versus a 100K in the Tone Bender which lead to me installing the "10/100" switch. It does subdue the Tone Bender sound but not enough to get the Truth. It did add a little more versatility though.

This one?

[​IMG]

I disagree here. I was listening to the Grande Ballroom show from '68 and I think is live tone is pretty close to the studio one.

Yes :bow and no :bkw. The few parts changes do not yield Beck In A Box.

I can whip one up for you but again, it's not Beck In A Box.

I can tell you in my experience (and your mileage may vary) that making the changes from the Tone Bender to the SupaFuzz do not yield the Jeff Beck sound. I have schematics for both pedals and a SupaFuzz build will be a little tamer than a Tone Bender, but I'm not ripping out the intro riff to "Let Me Love You".

The drive behind all this is what will hopefully become the Truth fuzz (laying claim to the name and the "10/100" switch as well. :D) but I won't release it unless I can get the sound. It would be cool to make it happen but in the immortal words of Wyle E. Coyote..

"Oh well. It's back to the drawing board."

6. BMF Effects

BYOC ESV Two Knob Bender to Marshall SupaFuzz -

1) Change C1 from a 4.7uF to a 10uF.
    2) Change C4 from a 4.7uF to a 10uF.
    3) Change R2 from a 100K to a 10K.
    4) Optional - Change R6 from a 470r to a 1K for more output.
    5) Optional - Change VR3 from a 25K to a 50K for a larger Q2 bias safety net.

I would install sockets for these four parts and experiment with mixing them. Hope this helps.

Dandolin likes this.
  7. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

Don't forget your 1959 Les Paul and Plexi Marshalls...

8. todd richman

Scott-could a Supa Fuzz be configured with a standard negative tip 9 volt jack?

9. thejbs

thejbs Member

Jeff Beck's tone and sound has as much, if not more, to do with his technique (fingers/phrasing) as it does with his setup (Paul/Marshall/Tonebender/Wah). I've heard many imitators, but very very few have actually been able to nail his sound. The same goes for all the Page wanna-be's. Why? Here's a hint.. it's NOT the gear.

That being said.. I am a lifelong Beck/Page wanna-be ;)

10. todd richman

11. BMF Effects

Same clip as I posted above. Now go listen to other SupaFuzz clips on YouTube, none of them sound like that '67. :huh

12. todd richman

Scott, I noticed the same thing-what is the story? Can a recreation of the clip's Supa Fuzz be made?

13. BMF Effects

I see what you mean. Both my Dad and John at Basic Audio basically said the same thing when they listened to Let Me Love You, "It sounds like there's a cocked wah in from of the fuzz". John's been very cool (and very patient) trying to help me satisfy this obsession and I think I might be onto something. ;)

14. BMF Effects

Yes.

15. BMF Effects

Agree wholeheartedly but the basic tone should be able to be copped. Besides it gives me something to obsess over. :D

16. BMF Effects

That would be the ideal situation. I've tried contacting the guy who made the clip both through YouTube and his band's website with no luck.

17. todd richman

robertgroove-does he post here?

18. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

nothing to contribute, I'm just enjoying this thread

:dude

19. BMF Effects

Not under that username and the band's MySpace page will not accept messages from other MySpace music accounts.

20. jgyn

jgyn Member

I bought a SupaFuzz clone from 'fuzzboxworld', who sells frequently on eBay. As previously noted, it's slightly smoother and darker that my Mk II clones (BYOC, Throback, etc.)