• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Jeff Beck Live. Beat club Germany 1972. One Of The Best Strat/Marshall Tones I've Ever Heard.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
I saw that band -- just incredible vibrato arm control! This was before he got so into that flicking the vibrato arm thing. All that on a 'normal' Strat trem without any apparent tuning issues; amazing!

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
That was a great band. I wish I'd had the chance to see them live. Whatever happened to Bob Tench, Clive Chaman and Max Middleton? I knew Tench was in Streetwalker and a later version of Humble Pie, but is he still around?

Phletch

I love that vid. Great playing by all, and wonderful straight-in tone from Beck.
That was a great band. I wish I'd had the chance to see them live. Whatever happened to Bob Tench, Clive Chaman and Max Middleton? I knew Tench was in Streetwalker and a later version of Humble Pie, but is he still around?
I don't know what he's been doing since, but Bobby Tench was Van Morrison's guitarist on the Wavelength album.

bobmc

Gold Supporting Member
Broken pickguard? Is that where the tone is?
I had a photo of Beck and that same guitar/pg hanging in my room as a kid on the 70's, I think from Creem magazine. Not a Strat guy, but I frequently think of it when I see reliced ones.

GerryJ

Clive Chaman, I believe, is deceased (as is Cozy Powell).
Great band. I think Beck's amp was 'only' 50 watts, but the way Powell slams those drums, it all sounds loud.
and Middletown pounding on a Grand with the cover completely removed, lol!

When did he stop using a pick?
Anyone know?
If I remember correctly from reading an article years ago, he broke the thumb on his right hand when he was hand tightening a nut on one of his antique cars in the early 80's. When it healed he stopped using the pick (not altogether) but began using his now healed thumb for the majority of his music.

It's nice to see he's out on tour again this year. Playing LA with Buddy Guy this summer.

Jeff's right thumb has it's own brain.

direwolf

Silver Supporting Member
My kid just came downstairs to see what I was watching. He's never done that before. He's got a real good ear.

elicious

My fav clip of his is pre-BBB, circa 1974:

For me it's a clinic between raw band energy, riding the knobs on the guitar for dynamic control, and mastery of melody.

NamaEnsou

Silver Supporting Member
My fav clip of his is pre-BBB, circa 1974:

For me it's a clinic between raw band energy, riding the knobs on the guitar for dynamic control, and mastery of melody.
This video and the one Skronker posted are my favorites and I think I may be in the minority here, but I just like his playing a lot better before he got rid of guitar picks and started getting so wonky on the tremelo bar.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom