Jeff Beck Truth...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wingwalker, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Member

Supa Fuzz and a some of the best Marshalls ever produced!

Jeff's tone on truth is easily one of my 5 top favorites ever and one of the main reasons why I play mostly Les Pauls (The BBA live album also counts)

2. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

FWIW:
    There is a great youtube vid of someone playing "Let Me Love YOu" on an SG jr. thru a OCD and a Marshall... Sounds great because his phrasing is spot-on "in-the-style-of Jeff Beck."

3. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

I've seen the vid and I don't think it's Truth era tone, but the playing is very, very Beck like.

4. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I did a lot of research when I started this thread and Truth was released in August 1968, the MK III didn't even come out until 1968 so a MK III is a pretty slim chance anyway but also I did some real looking at lots of pictures of Jeff live around the time that Truth came out and almost everyone of them shows Jeff with a Marshall Supa Fuzz so if ya can't get a Supa then a MK II clone is your best bet.

FWIW, I didn't find a single picture of Jeff with a MK III...MK I with thte Yardbirds, MK II's or Supa Fuzz's Solo (Truth and Beck Ola) and by the time he did Rough and Ready in 1971 he had switched to a Colorsound Overdriver which remained a staple in his rig for quite a while...

5. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Supporting Member

I love that album. Actually, I have the 2 albums in one version.

[​IMG]

His guitar tones on these albums is in a way implanted in my brain. I seriously think that he possibly used a Vox amp on those recordings.

6. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I used to really think there was AC30 on Truth as well but from what I can find out Beck's Bolero was an AC30 based on everything I've ever read but I have never seen menion of anything else except Marshalls being used on the rest of Truth as well as Beck Ola.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  7. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

I totally missed your response... thanks for the great info!