• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Jeff Beck's Rig Rundown

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
off-the-shelf? That strat is a one-of-a-kind, those pedals are pretty unusual, and the Tone King and the handwired marshall amps are certainly more unusual.

In any case... yeah... he's freaking Jeff Beck...

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
off-the-shelf? That strat is a one-of-a-kind, those pedals are pretty unusual, and the Tone King and the handwired marshall amps are certainly more unusual.

In any case... yeah... he's freaking Jeff Beck...
He uses a Klon, they are what $1500?

Maestro Ring Mods are what a grand?

Def not off-the-shelf gear.

But he does use Pro Juniors.

zorak

Gold Supporting Member
It's in the fingers, boys, isn't it? Well, it is with Jeff Beck. He has sounded the same since the mid-60's. His technique is as good as it has ever been now, but he just has such an incredible set of ears, plus hands of doom. Jeff Beck is an international treasure that makes me think most guitar heroes haven't ever been as worthy as him.

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
It's in the fingers, boys, isn't it? Well, it is with Jeff Beck. He has sounded the same since the mid-60's. His technique is as good as it has ever been now, but he just has such an incredible set of ears, plus hands of doom. Jeff Beck is an international treasure that makes me think most guitar heroes haven't ever been as worthy as him.
I`ll drink to that

Kelly

Guitars on loan from Fender? I don't understand.
No point shipping a bunch of Strats from England when he can just borrow some backups from Fender. Ya, his main Strat has a basswood body and special pickups, but its still just a Strat.

blues

Silver Supporting Member
Dont know if it was said. But I saw his tech say a few years ago that the pickups in Jeff's strat are not the same as the ones on the JB strat fender puts out. I think he said they have three sets of pickups they use in his personal guitars. Someone wound them at Fender,I dont remember who they said it was. More or less proto-types when they first came out with the guitars

ak301

Dont know if it was said. But I saw his tech say a few years ago that the pickups in Jeff's strat are not the same as the ones on the JB strat fender puts out. I think he said they have three sets of pickups they use in his personal guitars. Someone wound them at Fender,I dont remember who they said it was. More or less proto-types when they first came out with the guitars
John Suhr wound them, there's a discussion on Huge racks about it

The pickups I made him that he does still use especially on recordings were very tall stacks and in no way will fit in a normal guitar unless it is routed deeper. For that reason I see no way to do an aftermarket version. The Fender Beck pickups were made to be similar to mine as Bill Turner told me but they are still not the same. If it matters to anyone with most amplifiers I just dont care for them personally and would not be a go to pickup for me to get his tones. For Beck with his setup and his fingers they worked great.
Personally something like regular single coils and the SSC is far more flexible and real sounding. Or even the DiMarzio Virtuals.

Well I know I keep telling people to give me more time and I'll do them. I still have the original CAD drawings and specs.
But I hesitate because some problems I have are....
1) They can not go in to an existing strat cavity, they are too tall so the body needs to be routed deeper. It would be impossible to offer the exact same set as an aftermarket product since they will not sound the same if the dimensions are changed and there is no way the original set would fit.
What the late Bill Turner did was to come as close as he could to what I did using their existing new parts. Really pretty different though.
2) They are pretty dark sounding in stack mode, worked for Beck cause he used pretty ratty sounding rat pedal and stuff at the time so they smoothed things out. Not so sure other people would love them though.

Fender may have his prized last set in their hands to copy but.... they will never figure out the pixy dust I put in ! They were not made from any material or magnets I got from Fender stock, they were 100% custom made. I also made 2 different versions and only one was his favorite.
Oddly enough other people who have them are John Shanks, Courtney Love and an old friend of mine. I think Courtneys was slightly different.

When I was at Fender I made some prototype stacks for Beck cause he was having a lot of microphonic issues with the lace pickups, he still needed a noise free solution. I made 3 sets which went into all his main guitars including Little Richard, J Black was doing all Becks guitars then. It took me a while to figure out how to hold them together and he managed while bouncing the guitars around to break a few of the pickups over the years. At this point I had left Fender and they became his favorite pickups. Somehow he was told that I was dead after I left Fender. Fender (Bill Turner) used these prototype as a guide (told to me by Bill) to recreate the beck stacks using the new form factor of his new design pickups (noiseless) he did for Fender as close as he could come with the limitations of pre-existing tooling for the Beck model guitars. What I have heard is the Jeff still likes the originals the best and has the last remaining set loaded into a pickguard for anything special. So from the lace period to the noisless period the 3 main guitars had these pickups in them. They are a very deep route and a darker sounding pickup which works for what he does rolling down his tone and using drive boxes. I dont know if they would work for most people unless they were specifically going for Jeff's tone. I have been badgered and will probably make some recreations of these pickups for those who have been asking me but my plate is full until after NAMM. I do feel that if Jeff heard the Silent Coil system he would far prefer that.

Trending Topics