Jeff Beck's where were you.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Dioxic, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Dioxic

Dioxic Member

Now I'm sure most of you have heard this & that I'm just way behind, but this song is amazing! (In my defense I'm a lot younger than the average TGPer...as lame of an excuse as that is.)

The way he manipulates the harmonics with his whammy & so expertly uses his volume knob at the same time to produce this extremely vocal & almost ghost like quality is really something else.

This doesn't happen very often, but it literally made me tear up. I just thought I'd post it as a reminder for those of you that're aware of this great piece, but have gotten out of touch with it & for those of you that have never heard it (again I'm sure I'm one of the very few here in that scenario :p )

And here's a live one.

2. jzilla

jzilla Member

great piece of music... here's another JB performance that i consider to be in the same vein. my favorite JB solo...

3. roadfilm

roadfilm Member

What God Wants Part 3 is my favorite Beck solo also. Well, actually favorite guitar solo by anyone. Where Were You is also a masterpiece.

4. Grenville

Grenville Member

Look up Kalimankou Denkou by Mystere Voix de Bulgares to hear where Beck got the inspiration for Where Were You, even more spectral!

EDIT: Here's the song in question, might not have been this actual song but it was certainly this artist that provided the inspiration:

SECOND EDIT: Oops, turns out it's this one: Sableyalo mi Agontze (The Bleating Lamb)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  5. Poppa Stoppa

Poppa Stoppa Member

No need to apologise...there's an awful lot of good stuff out there to discover...eveybody's in the same boat...

There is something ineffably sad about this Jeff Beck piece, it's like a remembrance for times of glory long since past.

6. huw

huw Member

Double post.

7. huw

huw Member

I saw them in Manchester towards the end of last year. It was one of the best concerts I've ever seen/heard. Spectacular music.

8. woof*

woof* Member

You base your idea off of ?
    I have read a few interviews with Beck and no mention.

9. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

Recent interviews, no, but in the early 90s when Guitar shop came out, he said several times he had been listening to Bulgarian women choirs as a major influence - in fact, he came to a GP interview listening to it on a portable tape casette player (remember those?) and earbuds.

If you like that song, check out 'the final peace' from 'there and back' - it's older and more conventional technique, but a beautiful song.
    Tony Hymas (keyboard) is a big reason those records have such great songs.

10. telest

telest Member

I always liked "Two Rivers" as well.

11. slyzspyz

slyzspyz Member

did you actually listen to that second video? Beck quotes a number of the phrases verbatim.

And as stated above, when the Guitar Shop album came out, he gave credit to that choir as inspiration for that piece. Someone gave him a tape that he listened to a lot in his Walkman, apparently he always had something playing in his earphones to drown out the tinnitus

12. mudster

mudster High Prairie Wrangler Silver Supporting Member

What is amazing to me about this song, besides the fact that Beck can perform it live flawlessly, is that he manages to control the dynamics of the note (the volume) while playing harmonics that are difficult to produce (like 3rd fret harmonics which he uses in this song). It is difficult to even get the note to sound clearly, let alone use the whammy bar to accurately change the pitch of the note more than once after it is picked AND manipulate the volume control so that the note swells in a musical fashion AND play it with emotion! Just amazing. Stunning. I can get goose bumps just recalling when I first saw him perform this live in 1989. It is this sort of control that no honest person can say is easy that makes Jeff Beck a legend.

BTW, I don't know if anyone can nail down the exact inspiration for a song, but the poster who said Beck was listening to lots of Bulgarian Choral music at that time is absolutely correct, I still have those mags tucked away somewhere and recall that he cited that influence. I also read re: this song in particular that he described it as "the music in my head" and that he just sort of went with the flow to produce it, so it could easily be one of those unconscious influences that happen when you're in the zone.

13. John C

John C Supporting Member

Jeff certainly mentions he was inspired by the Bulgarian choir music in a Guitar Player cover story - it's the "dual cover" with him and SRV that was done during their dual headliner tour in 1989 (Beck's Guitar Shop tour). However I don't recall if he mentions a specific tune and I've got the old magazines in temporary storage right now.

That is one of the few concert tours that I missed that I really regret not going to.:jo

Back to Beck - he also mentioned in that cover story that he couldn't hit the highest harmonic toward the end until he got his first Fender guitar with the roller nut (I suppose these were the original prototypes for his signature model Strat); the regular nut on whatever older Strat he was using was choking the harmonic.

This also reminds me that I need to get another copy of Guitar Shop - I had it on cassette but have never picked it up on CD or done a download.

14. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

That live vid is killer. JB has turned the Strat into a whole 'nother instrument. I wouldn't be surprised if "classical" musicains of future generations struggle to master his techniques.
    Funny, I had been listening to and being blown away by the Mystere Voix de Bulgares when the interview with Beck came out. I had no idea anyone else in rock would be into that stuff. It made a real mark on his playing.

15. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

Nobody plays like JB.Even Clapton and Gilmour have a crush on him.

16. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    long-time fan...
    check out the high E he gets at 1:58 - and look where his left hand is :omg

:cool:

17. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

As 'far out' as Beck goes, when he reins it in he's as good an electric blues guitarist as anyone who's ever played. His phrasing, his astonishing touch and sense of dynamics can't be taught. He's simply a virtuoso. However, I must add, though he's far and away my favorite guitarist, I wish he'd stop tapping. It's a distraction and disrupts the flow of his solos. Jeff, if you happen to read this, please give me a call and we can discuss.

18. Rama

Rama Member

Lord God Almighty thanks for sending Jeff Beck.

19. Road King

Road King Supporting Member

I had my JB moment of clarity at a concert I received free tickets to. I was 16 or 17, had only heard of him, and was completely blown away. Been a fan (he's my favorite) for over 30 years.
    Was watching the movie Twins last night and couldn't wait for the bar scene so I could hear JB do a few country riffs before launching into Train Kept a Rollin.

OP, congrats on your discovery. Now prepare to spend a lifetime being blown away by the master.

20. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

nothing lame about it (you catching up to it now) ... the man has been blowing my mind and making me tear up for 40+ yrs. (he just did it again watching that) ... that one has the qualities of the finest operatic aria sung by human voice that you can imagine.

Jon