Jeff Beck's "You Had It Coming" tone...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Goofball, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Goofball

Goofball Member

Been on a Jeff Beck kick lately and i somehow had missed this album the first time around. Man, his playing, tone, and feel are flooring me!! This is an awesome display of originality and gorgeous tones!

Anybody have an idea of what he used on this particular album? I'm more interested in the amps he favors now.

I'm sure most of it is in his hands but still... :BEER

2. Kelly

Kelly Member

That album was all Marshall DSL.

3. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

doesn't he still use his trusty Marshall DSL? also has a snarling dog wah on some of those songs

4. Goofball

Goofball Member

You are kidding me!

Wow...

I knew he had a DSL for his other more recent albums (Jeff Beck, Who Else?) but i thought he had ditched it.

Man, i had a DSL at one time but sure didn't sound like that! :)

I guess it really is ALL in the hands...

5. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    The story goes that, even tho it is stock, that he has a special good one. He can't find another that sounds as good. and it sounds amazing live too

Dennis

6. FJTurner

FJTurner Member

I heard a rumor that his DSL was hand-wired and Jim Marshall had it built for Jeff, but hey, a rumor could say anything, right?

7. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

...and in the engineering. That album and Jeff are sprinkled with a lot of studio fairy dust (radical eqing is probably just the tip of the iceberg).

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    A lot of his tone is from using his Strat's bridge pickup, almost exclusively, with the tone control rolled WAY back and treble on his amp up. In an interview he said that playing a Strat with the tone control up, through the DSL set up that way, would rip your head off:)

Oh, and there's also the fact that he almost never uses a pick.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  9. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

both Jeff & his amp tech have said exactly that ... it's not a hand wired special one-off but it's one they say that they can't duplicate in any other they've seen so he uses it &hopes he doesn't have to go for the spare/backup .

10. gsf

gsf Member

Is that the Marshall model on the Crossroads 2007 performance, with the tweeds? Looked more old school...?

11. JimH

JimH Member

I remember reading a mag at the time - he seemed quite sort of proud and mystified and at what he was using - DSL50 and one or two mics hung form the ceiling or something. -about as simple as it gets. I dare say the secret ingredient in that amp is him.

12. konstantine

konstantine Member

I fear that too..;)

13. Goofball

Goofball Member

I've got this album on AGAIN! i feel like i'm studying it now, instead of just enjoying it! :D

you know, i can kinda hear it now. it DOES sound like he's able to manipulate the treble somehow. Like if he snaps the strings (since he's playing with his fingers), there's a pronounced treble "bite" - and then it'll roll off a little for his rhythm parts.

And the slide/whammy work on "Nadia" is worth the price of admission alone. He's got a nice chewy melody going on in that song, and the tone has a real sweet singing quality that just blows me away.

yeah, granted, i could be listening to tons of parts/overdubs flown in from different takes - but i don't know, man, he can somehow make it sound seamless. i've only seen the man once in concert but holy cow, he was awesome. All the cool guitars/amps/pedals in the world are in that man's fingers!

So here's to Jeff Beck, once again, for continuing to make interesting and creative guitar music throughout the years! :drink

14. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

Your dare isn't very daring...but the whole truth....no pun intended.

Ahhh....but someone here will surely crack his secret tone.

Beck is Beck and can't be duplicated.

15. electricfactory

electricfactory Supporting Member

Me and friend were standing outside of a NAMM booth that somebody said Beck was in. We stood outside the door and were entranced while Beck was inside that little booth just being... well, Jeff Beck. The amp sound particularly blew everyone away- smooth OD but clear as a bell. It wasn't long before wild speculation about what amp he was using, what CS Stratocaster etc ensued. Is he in there working out on a Beck Signature Series ? A fine 60's relic. We were sure it was something special, hard to get, pricey.

You probably sense where this is going.

He eventually walks out of the room with two other guys in suits to presumably seek other amusement. Me, my pal and another guy fall over ourselves getting in the room to see just what the heck he was using for gear.

This is the complete gear list;

A Squire Strat, a cord, and a Pignose amp.

Draw your own conclusions.

16. Unabender

Unabender Member

I have a rather hard time believing he has a "magically good" DSL that no one just can duplicate...

"Tone is in the fingers" sounds much more feasible.

My guess is people just don't want to accept the fact that stock DSL's are pretty good amps.

17. JimH

JimH Member

Or, I suppose, that a guitar hero like beck - presumably with almost everything at his disposal still went for one. - Fine, they're great and he sounded great through it, but why not go for EVEN better - that sort of argument.

18. DonM

DonM Member

He made Lace Sensors sound good.. explain that one????????

The only one I ever heard do such a task,

Clapton and Buddy Guy - Play wonderfully but the Lace Sensors were way compressed .

I'm pretty sure, its a RAT II pedal and that Marshall amp -- and the real smart trick is
    Rolling the TONE KNOB Way back while on the bridge - and letting it open some more whenever on the neck..

If You have a RAT or RAT II or similar pedal.. - try this - does not have to be a Marshall amp at all -
    the Rat & the tone back on the guitars bridge pup seems to get most of it every time..

Leave it To Jeff to figure out how to use Lace Sensors!

19. bluehugh2

bluehugh2 Gold Supporting Member

I tried the standard USA Jeff Beck Signature guitar today and was blown away by the tone! And we had a real '56 Strat in the room! The pickups are supposed to be "CERAMIC Noiseless"... anyway they sound great... anyone know more about this guitar and in particular these pickups. I always thought the Fender noiseless pickups were not great... but it's been a few years since I tried 'em...

20. Quantumphysics

Quantumphysics Member

He is a serious tweaker! His hot rods - his garden - his tone.
    He has tweaked so many rigs - I bet no matter what you put in front of him - he can quickly dial in a good tone. He is a good listener - I'm sure he learned something from George Martin and Jan Hammer in the earlier years.
    You can dial in a great living room tone - but it may not translate into a good stage tone - you have to fit in the mix.
    I like how he is tweaking in real time on the Ronnie Scott footage - "He is an engineer in his own right"